Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,086 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm currently doing an assignment on metals in interior design.

Basically I need to furnish and design an interior space using only metals - doesn't matter if it's aluminum sheets or brass tile, but I can only use metal.

I'm stuck on what I could do, I mean I know I could use metal laminates and tin ceilings, but what else is out there?

I also need to write a detailed research report on different types of metals, and basically everything related to metal. The only thing I have managed to research right now is the different types of metals and patinas.

Are there anything else that's important to include in the report?

Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 06:20 PM

4,626 posts, read 12,305,175 times
What about those guys that have used shipping containers to build houses? They stack them in all different configurations.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:22 PM

I'm looking at interior finishes only. It's a surface materials course!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:40 PM

4,626 posts, read 12,305,175 times
I did a Fry's Electronics in Palo Alto, CA where we put corrugated galvanized sheets over the entire surface. It gave it a barn type look, and additional security.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,223,828 times
Bar, maybe adapted for kitchen counter. Look at the table top, the hanging lights
http://jordanguidedesign.com/blog/wp...l_lighting.jpg

Room dividers
http://jordanguidedesign.com/blog/wp...der_screen.jpg

http://jordanguidedesign.com/blog/wp...ion_Sticks.jpg

Metal wallpaper
Metal Wall Revealing Leather HD Wallpaper » FullHDWpp - Full HD Wallpapers 1920x1080

Metal lounger
Miss Delite: The Look

Metal chair
Aviator Club Chair Spitfire Arms & World War II fighter plane’s blueprint | Zin Home Blog

Metal Art and Copper Wall Panels
Metal Art and Copper Wall Panels by Bruce R. MacDonald | ArtRSS

Google "metal flooring" images and use your imagination

Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
"Seek; and ye shall find"
At least you asked- but I'm not doing your homework for you!

Here's one hint-
Look at metal supplier's websites. Look at EVERYTHING! Then visualize how it could be used in an interior space. And remember, surfaces can perform more than one function (oops, that was two hints).

GO DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,061,697 times
Also go to hardware stores....I love the smaller galvanized cans with handles and lids......they would be great to store toys, wood by the fireplace, as a planter, etc. You can paint them or leave them natural....at Christmas time I fill them with fresh pine and holly and big pine cones and put a wide flannel buffalo check ribbon on the handle.

There are also big galvanized tubs which we have used for parties - filled with ice - they are great for drinks or dips/seafood platters that need to be kept cold...we have a stand for ours. They would be interesting to use for storing/stacking vintage wool blankets or quilts.

There are tons of galvanized things at Lowe's, etc.

Also, I believe you can order sheets of zinc and cover tables with it...but you need the know-how and proper tools but it is a very cool look for a parson's or dining table or coffee table or to hold plants, etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:15 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,456,707 times
An interesting wall decor piece might be an enlarged photo/print reproduced on metal. There are many online sites offering this service for sizes from 5x7 to 20x24 and larger.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:13 PM

Thanks guys!

I guess what I'm asking is in what form do metal finishes come in.

E.g. Sheets, panels, tiles, etc! Until now I didn't know metal wallpapers exist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating