Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,286 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I've just done an extensive amount of painting / redecorating on my (once extremely terrible, but oh so cheap) rental apartment. The next challenge is the shared hallway.

I've just given it a touch up coat of white paint, but am looking for some design suggestions or tricks to make it a bit more bearable.

I'm going to clean the floors as best I can, and maybe clean the street level door with some touch up paint, but I'm looking for the force multiplier in making it less "sketchy looking".

Should I add some colour? Is there some inexpensive way of doing this (I don't want to put expensive painting out there as strangers pass through all the time.)

Should I try to do something to the floors other than clean them? It's a rental, so I don't want to invest a lot of money.

I know it's gross, but any tips would be great =)

Thanks!
Adam
Attached Thumbnails
"Craptacular" Hallway Needs Some Tender Loving Care Suggestions (Pics)-hallway.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Does the landlord allow you to make changes to that hallway?

Old 06-04-2013, 04:02 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambl11 View Post
I've just given it a touch up coat of white paint, but am looking for some design suggestions
or tricks to make it a bit more bearable...
sweep/vacuum, bleach, detergent and paint. repeat as needed.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I suppose you could put a block of color 4ft by 3ft between each of the landings, well above the handrails. Nice trendy colors like grey, soft teal, lavendar, honeydew green.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:14 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
He appears to be the landlord. ? .

I love it when a hallway has some grandeur and it can be done quite cheaply.

These kind of hallways are great for wallpapering the top half, hard I know but I've done it. Get something on sale and you can do it pretty cheap.

Then paint the bottom half a darker color that you choose from the wallpaper and put up a molding trim in between them above the hand railing. Looks like you have a nice demarcation right now between top and bottom you could follow. And put in a nicer hand railing. I don't see one now.

Above the door centered between door and ceiling is nice place for a long mirror or painting that you can actually screw into place so no one takes it and so it doesn't fall on anyone. The screws won't be seen from that far away.

A nice light hanging down from the ceiling would take it to the next level. You can always find a cheap chandelier on craigslist that you can spray paint to match your color.

Some new floor tile would be nice, these look pretty beat.

Or you could do some artwork on the stairs like this thread shows
Staircase Painting Ideas Transforming Boring Wooden Stairs with Cool Designs

Old 06-04-2013, 04:32 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,092 times
If it is a high traffic stairway you're going to have a hard time keeping that floor clean.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
If allowed, I'd paint the risers in alternating colors. I'v seen that done in several shelter mags recently. If I didn't own the place, I wouldn't do much more.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:26 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
The cheapest thing I can think of:

- Remove the metal pieces on each stair edge.
- Peel off those stick on tiles.
- Rough up each step with a rough-grit sandpaper.
- Mask off the edges on the walls.
- Spray paint the entire staircase with that heavy duty gray, textured paint - like the kind they put on garage floors and in truck bed liners.
-Paint the walls a darker accent color since hallways tend to get all scuffed up.

I actually did this on basement steps in an old house and it turned out nice and lasted forever. It also helps with traction.
Here is a pic of the spray that shows the texture:

Old 06-04-2013, 06:52 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Yup, just scrub the heck out of it. The filthiness is what's wrong with it.
Whose responsibility is it to keep the common areas clean?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,286 times
Wmns4life: Cleaning up is definitely the first step. Hopefully that helps a lot. Is there an easy way to get foot marks out that you know of? Lots of bleach?

luv4horses: Not quite sure what you mean about a block of color. I like your idea for trendy colours though, incorporated that somewhat.

Kayekaye: I'm not the landlord. It's a bit of a slum landlord, but they're extremely easy going and the rent is 40% cheaper than what it should be in my area. Love the idea for a cheap chandelier and mirror / painting on the door. That stairs artwork looks awesome, but something that stylistic might not be up the alley of the other renters. Gave me an idea to paint that area though.

Silibran: That's a good idea. I've tried incorporating that into a mockup, but it just looks strange. Any tip on colour scheme?

Bmachina: That sounds awesome, but would be more of an investment then I'm willing to do in this case.

Gentlearts: You're right. Hopefully some bleach and elbow grease will go a long way.

Here's a mockup of some potential "low-level" changes. Let me know what you guys think!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...n%20copy_2.jpg

Thanks so much for all your advice,
Adam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating