Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 05:07 AM

45 posts, read 71,109 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I'm a realtor and have been working out of my home and broker's office for a couple years until now and I'm looking for some help designing my first personal office. I moved my stuff in and thought I'd be set up in no time but I want to make it feel great and honestly I am stuck.

The room is 11'3" x 10'9" with a door and an east facing in line on opposite walls. The carpet trim and is a light muted blue-gray.

I want it to feel modern yet simplistic. I want it to be easy to organize and get all my odds and ends either out of site (cabinets?) or neatly displayed (shelves? cabinet/shelving mix?) I like the 'idea' of Feng shui but have no idea how to make it 'feel better' without some guidance.

More notes:

- I'd like to design with the possibility of meeting with clients in my office in mind, however, normally it is a personal workspace and I work in the field showing homes to buyers and meeting with seller's at their homes, normally I use a conference room for an office meeting which I still can. (hence working at home for 3 years now).

- I am willing to spend up to $400-500 at Ikea to buy some new things, would prefer to keep costs down where possible.

- I am willing to refinish the ikea tables I have to match or do something really cool with! I was thinking paint the white ones black & polyurethane them all. Also thinking I kind of dig the white/black checkerboard thing I have going on with black filing cabinet under white table, was thinking white shelves over black table & vice versa?

- I am willing to remove the dartboard cabinet & book shelf or possibly paint them to fit the design. I hate to paint the dartboard cabinet as it was a gift and is a nice cherry finish. The bookshelf can go to the trash or be painted (I have the missing shelf).

I have a black ikea corner desk (new model) and some of their simple white tables (3 year old model?). I also have some thick square shelves that hang without brackets (2 white & 2 black), a longer white shelf with brackets and the following black items: printer, chair, computer, tv, clock, external harddrive, fan, air purifier, picture frame, wall-mounted letter file. I also have a few white boards and bulletin board (I was wondering what would happen if I painted the corkboard part white and the trim black)?

I also have a big screen tv (black 52" - not pictured) I was thinking of bringing in and hanging on a wall, sometimes I like putting the news or game on while I'm stuck writing emails & contracts.
Pictures are attached thanks to anyone for ideas and reading this super long post!

Link to pictures in my google drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 04:24 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,220,487 times
Link's not working.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Since you are on a budget, I'd buy the essentials first, but work on the floor plan until you have it like you like it. Then buy furniture. I'd go with a nicer desk first.

Arrange the desk facing outward, so that clients can face you as you are at your desk. Without a floor plan, it is hard to imagine where to suggest you put your work table.

Since this is first a personal workspace, I would think about how I worked, and plan the space to allow for easy access to the work table and bookcase. But you don't want the desk jammed against the wall.

If you buy black furniture, I want to suggest buying better than Ikea, or at least buying at the higher end of Ikea. You want your office to suggest that you are successful. An Ikea desk does not do this for me.

With black furniture, I'd suggest a warm neutral on the wall. White walls and black furniture, especially cheap black furniture, looks cheap and cold. So, warm the space with a little color on the walls. Choose a neutral commercial grade carpet as well. I like the gray window shade.

Add a little art. Buy something you like, because you will look at whatever you buy every day. Do this last, and take your time. I suggest finding a local artist and buying that way, but don't just visit a big box store and come out with something. But buy something you like. And a couple of nice family pics in good quality frames are appropriate in this space.

Ditch that book case at the earliest opportunity. Find a solid simple one in black or wood tone.

And by the way, I believe you want a simple work space, not a simplistic one.

Good luck with this endeavor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating