Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 06:12 AM

257 posts, read 491,629 times

Advertisements

We have a loft that overlooks the Great Room. See attached photo.

What type of photos, prints, artwork, or decorations do you recommend to hang on the partial wall?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Decorate loft wall overlooking Great Room-balcony..jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 AM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Whatever type you personally like!

I would not be in a rush to do that wall. Looks like there are plenty of other (larger) surfaces to concentrate on.
First thing I would do it paint.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,219,292 times
Yes, fill the rest of the room first then think about it. It might be a good place for a tapestry.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
These sorts of walls are tricky. I had a vaulted ceiling in a great room, and it took me years to figure out how to hang things in it.

I advise locating the horizontal "lines" formed by the tops of doorways, windows and entranceways that should stretch around the room, or most of the room. One hopes that they all line up. You use that imaginary line that stretches between the tops as a guide for hanging things. Hang things above, below or occasionally overlapping the line between the doorways.

But you reference that "line" when you hang things. In one case I hung blue and white plates with the bottom rims lined up with the "line" between the top of a window and a door. The largest plate was hung deliberately to overlap the bottom a bit--for interest. I lined bookshelves up with the top of the lowest wall, which was also the top of the hallway entrance. Try to establish a flow around the room, referencing the line that stretches between the tops of the doors, if possible.

You can hang big things above the line, and small things below. You can hang an enormous thing smack in the middle. But reference the line subtly using the tops of your furniture and the things you hang. For taller furniture that isn't quite tall enough, add something at the top to reach that "line." Try to have a couple of furniture pieces that are tall enough to be close to that "line."

I know this sounds sort of dumb. But this works for vaulted ceilings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating