Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:30 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times

Advertisements

We just opened the wall between the kitchen and the living room. The problem is we have two different colors of laminate, one dark and one light. Honestly, I don't care for laminate in the kitchen. I'm thinking tile or I could even do linoleum. How do I get it to blend and what suggestions? Here's a pic:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Porcelain tile that complements cabinets / counter tops. Just don't use a light colored grout. Transition from wood (laminate) to tile looks fine , threshold strip may be needed. Tile is easy to clean up but light color sanded grout even if sealed well, will get embedded dirt in it and start to look bad. Darker colors mask the color change.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:30 AM

252 posts, read 580,914 times
Azul macaubas Granite Slab/Countertop would look great. As it blends dark as well as light color.
Also have a look for travertine and onyx slabs/tiles.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
If you don't like laminate flooring, then you can put sheet vinyl or Marmoleum (linoleum) down. You can put tile down, but I don't like tile for kitchen floors, because it makes a hard floor to stand on. But others do like tile for this purpose. In another thread someone mentioned vinyl floor tiles, which I think might work for you.

I think it is OK for the two floors to be different, but better if the two floors are the same. Is it possible to floor both rooms in the same thing?

You might investigate hardwoods or engineered wood. You can buy good engineered wood these days, but you have to shop carefully. That might work in both rooms, and make everything flow. Or you could possibly find the same dark laminate as in your living room, and put it down in the kitchen. I know this is not your first choice, however.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:37 AM

Yes, I think it would like nice to have the same flooring. Once again though, I'm not a big fan of laminate in the kitchen. It maybe hard to match the same thing as well. I just have to rethink everything. Thanks for the opinions.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Yes, I think it would like nice to have the same flooring. Once again though, I'm not a big fan of laminate in the kitchen. It maybe hard to match the same thing as well. I just have to rethink everything. Thanks for the opinions.
Stuff like this is hard. One's taste is always ahead of one's budget.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2013, 01:23 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,906,392 times
If your choices are tile or linoleum, I'd do tile in a hart beat.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:33 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,038 times
Beckcat,
Take a pic on your cell phone, of the dark laminate floor in the LR,
and go to a floor store, not Lowes, and see what laminate floor they have to
match that.
You might not like laminate in the kitchen, but it will look really nice
and uniform and BIG and open if you match the laminate from the LR in
the kitchen.
You might luck out and actually find a linoleum that matches it exactly, but
be warned, the price of linoleum has gone up, it is not cheap, costs much more
than if you match the LR laminate floor.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,827,984 times
I was never a big fan before, but at my new house we have marble tile in the kitchen and it's wonderful. The tile extends out from the kitchen and runs between our living room and dining room areas which are both laminate. The transitions are T-molding.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:27 PM

OK, so we decided on tile but have come into some complications. There are several layers of flooring in the kitchen that we found once we pulled up the laminate. There is the subfloor, linoleum, 3/8 plywood and more linoleum. Before we do anything, the kitchen floor is slightly higher than the living room floor. If we add 1/4 inch backer board, thinset and then the tile, we will be between 3/4 and 1 inch above the living room floor. I know they make transition strips but I see that being a tripper. We thought about just cleaning up the underneath plywood and installing the tile directly on there, although it's not recommended. I don't want to spend all this money for the tile not to hold up. The floor is not completely level either from the way the house has settled. I don't know what else to do. I really didn't want to get linoleum either.

Has anyone had any experience with stained concrete. I'm reading a lot of good reviews about it. How much does it cost?

Last edited by beckycat; 10-27-2013 at 03:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating