Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,026 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been looking all over the internet for help on this but no to avail, so I'd be grateful if you could help

I want to redesign my attic bedroom but I don't feel I have an eye for these things.
My brief is simple: I am a 23 year old man; I don't want the bed to be the focus of the room; I want a small lounge area and a study area; I want a green-grey-brown (because of the brown leather beanbag in the photo) colour scheme;

The photos are of the current bedroom. I want to repaint that pink wall of course and would appreciate advice on that swell.

So far, I was thinking of moving the bed to the area under the triangular window and make a lounge area in place of the current bed position but i don't know what to do with the study area as the desk is ugly and faces the wall.

So any ideas? I'd appreciate anything, from layout plans to furnishing ideas.

Thanks a lot people.
Attached Thumbnails
redesign of my bedroom-photo-2.jpg   redesign of my bedroom-photo-2.jpg   redesign of my bedroom-photo-3.jpg   redesign of my bedroom-photo-1.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 10:43 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,214,610 times
A bit difficult without a measurement. Could you just measure it up and draw a quick room diagram? It doesn't have to be drafted perfect, just the right numbers.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Try the desk in the corner under the triangular window, and move the bed under the skylight window ceiling.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,026 times
kayekaye I tried to use an app so this is the room plan. The 2 circles are the doorways and the hallway part is the 'walk in wardrobe'

Hopes I'm not sure where you're thinking of placing the bed, in the corner or directly under the ceiling window?
Attached Thumbnails
redesign of my bedroom-photo-2.jpg  

Old 08-10-2014, 01:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Since you want to make a lounge area, try putting it in the corner, with the top against the pink wall and it going along the wall under the sky light. You might have to take the headboard off. Hopefully there's enough room with that door there. If not, switch corners. Or try it centered. You can try it a variety of ways, but I'd definitely put the bed on that side of the room and the desk under the triangle window.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:50 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,214,610 times
Here's a quick layout, Not sure where you enter the room from though?
  • Bed under the slanted ceiling
  • Night stands on each side of bed
  • Armoire maybe 2 at the foot of the bed to separate from the rest of the room (Could use two bookcases if you don't need storage OR one amoire with two 13" Ikea bookcases to hold curios and drinkware, but you have to bolt the Ikea bookcases to the Amoire
  • Some chairs and a small coffee table
  • Desk in corner by dormer(?) window, might have to get two smaller desks to fit the space
  • Desk chair can turn and be more seating if needed
Attached Thumbnails
redesign of my bedroom-bedroom-attic.jpg  

Old 08-11-2014, 07:35 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Not going to lie---I've moved around entire rooms before multiple times to figure out the best layout for me because I actually need to SEE it. My husband would come home from work and the LR/DR would be completely rearranged.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:40 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Not going to lie---I've moved around entire rooms before multiple times to figure out the best layout for me because I actually need to SEE it. My husband would come home from work and the LR/DR would be completely rearranged.
I've done this a time or two as well. My husband would spend a week cursing me as he tripped over furniture he wasn't used to being there, then spend another week cursing me after I changed it again.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:39 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I think you've gotten some good suggestions for placement so far. My first thought is you shouldn't base your choices of color because you have a brown beanbag chair. Gray green brown sounds drab draber drabest.

Do you have a decent budget for furniture, or do you need to work with what you already have? The color of the desk is unfortunate. Can it be painted?
I think you should keep the walls off white, with perhaps a charcoal gray feature wall behind the bed. Use black or dark wood furniture and black accents throughout the space. Get some bedding that you like, and use that as a starting point for pops of color.
Keep us posted on what you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating