Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 06:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,604,293 times

Advertisements

Looking for flooring suggestions for a large area consisting of a kitchen and family room area....somewhat l-shaped going into family room rea...want to keep a good flow of areas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 06:22 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
There are tons of threads on this.

Basically there are handful of paranoid types that falsely assume anytime you have hardwood (or engineered hardwood, or bamboo, or cork or anything other than tile...) near a kitchen it is a ticking time bomb.

Millions of homes have hardwood in the kitchen because it is an excellent option -- much easier on the feet/legs/knees/hip/back/shoulders than tile, easy to care for, wide range of options, very economical.

Toss in things like engineered hardwoods and other natural materials and your have even more options.

Tile is great in a bath (especially with underfloor heating) but it is not a top choice for familyrooms / kitchens where it is so unyielding.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:38 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
Too add on to chet, you CAN put down a Vinyl tile over normal subfloor and have another VERY easy to care for floor that's slightly more robust than wood but just as easy on the joints. This is normal VCT in my kitchen right now:

But there are Luxury (LVT) options that look like wood, stone, tile, etc... some are even a simple click-together system that ANYONE could DIY.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:42 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
That VCT you have looks cool....inexpensive and durable to boot.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:00 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
Tape a WHITE piece of linoleum over a high traffic area of your existing floor. DON'T WASH it for two months. After two months take it to the flooring store and get that color of flooring (dirty color).

Old 01-03-2015, 10:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
All sorts of flooring options have pros and cons. At some point the cons outweigh the pros (take, for example, the past trend of indoor/outdoor carpeting in kitchens - BLECH - or carpet in bathrooms - DOUBLE BLECH!).

I considered hardwoods in my kitchen but my contractor reminded me that this space would include the laundry room as well as the powder room. So many water lines and potential problems, and get this - within TWO WEEKS of the new flooring being laid down (we opted for travertine) my ice maker line in my freezer leaked up under the fridge. So water leaks do happen and can cause damage (didn't damage my travertine flooring though!). But for some people the risk is outweighed by the positives that they prefer, so there you have it.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:03 PM

If your laundry runs into your kitchen I probably would not use hardwoods either. It is not just for fear of leaks, but the noise issues and access would make me want to go with some kind of durable flooring.

There are some nice looking vinyl flooring options -- VCT is inexpensive and has lots of design flexibility but it never really has much appeal to buyers if that is a consideration. Sheet vinyl is top notch for ease of care, but again not something that buyers feel is worth 'premium'. Newer vinyl planks can be amazing effective as a mimic for natural materials which much lower cost / easier installation...

Old 01-03-2015, 04:12 PM

If your laundry runs into your kitchen I probably would not use hardwoods either. It is not just for fear of leaks, but the noise issues and access would make me want to go with some kind of durable flooring.

There are some nice looking vinyl flooring options -- VCT is inexpensive and has lots of design flexibility but it never really has much appeal to buyers if that is a consideration. Sheet vinyl is top notch for ease of care, but again not something that buyers feel is worth 'premium'. Newer vinyl planks can be amazing effective as a mimic for natural materials with much lower cost / easier installation...

Old 01-03-2015, 05:57 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,306,724 times
Hardwood floors, hands down.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:56 PM

252 posts, read 580,990 times
I have Travertine Flooring in my living room. I love them. This porous natural stone gives a luxurious look and is very popular due to their unique beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating