Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM

41 posts, read 74,473 times

Advertisements

Hello All - We are planning to convert our oak kitchen cabinets to grey color and wondering if anybody had done it and if you recommend the painter/paint used.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 02:15 PM

455 posts, read 525,069 times
I can't answer your question directly, but i can say that this was done to the cabinets in the house we purchased. It was flipped before we moved in, and the 90s builders grade cabinets were painted over. It really does modernize the kitchen without needing to purchase new cabinets.

That said: if you plan to do it yourself, I highly recommend that you research the proper way to do this. There are some spots where the paint has chipped off. And not knowing what paint was used, i can't really go in and touch it up. 99% sure they just painted right over it (i.e. no stripping or whatever is necessary to do it the "right" way). So just keep that in mind not to take shortcuts.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:29 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
there's a blog by someone who did exactly like that----I think it's something like designer trapped in a lawyer's body (?). It looks awesome! I think she used General Finishes paint.

I'm actually debating between grey and white; however, my kitchen is doesn't get much sunlight so I think I'll probably go with white. I'm probably going to go with cabinetcoat since I've read such good reviews about it.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:20 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
The only gray I've seen that really looked good for kitchen cabinets was lacquer. As in high gloss lacquer. And the doors were flat slabs. So, my personal opinion would be if you want "that" look- replace the cabinets.

If you're deadset on painting the existing- I strongly suggest another color- you have a very long road ahead. Oak has an open grain, so it will show through unless you do several coats of primer/filler to fill the grain; along with sanding between coats. And if the current doors are 5pc- inset/raised panel you'll have very tedious prep work there- and that's BEFORE you start the primer.

Also, spraying will afford you the most desirable finish. The most used paint for this is oil-based, and usually in a semi-gloss finish. The high gloss lacquer finish can be achieved by applying clear lacquer over a base coat.

Weight the cost of of this type of refinishing against replacement- you maybe quite surprised what you find.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
We have oak cabinets. We recently painted them (well, had them painted by professionals) and also added cabinets to the mix. This is important and here's why:

When the contractors added the cabinets, they added additional OAK cabinets, because oak cabinets have a distinct wood pattern and usually are not 100 percent smooth. I say that to remind you that your oak cabinets will probably still show a wood pattern, even after they are painted. Mine do.

We painted ours a sagey, gray ish green and used Sherwin Williams semi gloss oil based paint over a good primer. Here are the befores and afters. Well, actually the after and then the before - LOL. I love the end result.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:16 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 10:56 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
I painted my old oak cabinets in a house a few years back. they looked far better than before. I sanded them, primed them and painted them. I don't remember what brand of paint but it was a decent brand I am sure I went with at a least a semi gloss. I would do it again without a thought.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:31 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Benjamin Moore has a cabinet paint that is really good. I've used their oil based paint on kitchen cabinets with great success in the past. I guess this newer paint is latex but acts like oil based on the cabinet, but cleans up like water based. Prepping well will make all the difference though.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:41 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
We did my oak cabinets gray and I like how they turned out. Sanded them down and used a dryer brush so it wasn't a heavy coat of paint. My sister in law used this paint:
ADVANCE® Waterborne Interior Alkyd Paint. Now I have to do the floor...might go gray stain on that as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Oak to Grey Cabinets-kitchendwstove2.jpg  

Old 09-03-2015, 04:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
We did my oak cabinets gray and I like how they turned out. Sanded them down and used a dryer brush so it wasn't a heavy coat of paint. My sister in law used this paint:
ADVANCE® Waterborne Interior Alkyd Paint. Now I have to do the floor...might go gray stain on that as well.
Pretty!

Old 09-06-2015, 10:12 PM

794 posts, read 818,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegermister View Post
Hello All - We are planning to convert our oak kitchen cabinets to grey color and wondering if anybody had done it and if you recommend the painter/paint used.

thanks
I'd strip any finish off the cabinets, then use a homemade stain made of white vinegar and steel wool, finished in tung oil. It'll give you a grey finish with nice grain pop. YouTube "Vinegar and steel wool stain".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating