Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times

Advertisements

Any experts on this, please help.

really bad drafts from backyard sliding glass doors.

Vertical blinds , ugh, unless you get top of the line which I dont want to do.

Are there insulated drapes to keep cold out? or what would you recommend?.

The door is right off dining room and now freezing drafts in winter. I am selling so not wanting to put a whole new door in, etc.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
I have a sliding glass door (facing south) that I replaced 2 years ago with Low-e3 glass. It made a huge difference with heat loss/winter; heat gain/summer.

Are the drafts from the door not sealing properly or from old glass that lets the cold in?

I have insulated, black-out, vertical fabric blinds on my slider. I've been toying with the idea of replacing them. The only place I could find that sold the type of verticals I wanted was Blinds Galore. But I found the same brand (Levelor) and the same style at Amazon for a much lower price.

I have a dog and I like the verticals 'cause she can just poke her head through the vanes to look outside. She still does this even though she's blind now. Old habits. Anyway, I think they hold up very well compared with those cheap-o looking, clankity-clank plastic kind. I don't like drapers as they don't allow a little light to come in while maintaining privacy. Plus, if you use your sliding door, the drapes will get dirty. Another factor when chosing my window coverings was the heat register vent right in front of my staionary glass panel. So drawing drapes back would block air flow. Whereas blinds can be pulled back far enough to stack out of the way of the air flow or the vanes can be tilted open.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Insulated drapes are a better option. You can get them at Walmart, Target, etc. We use the 3M plastic on our slider. It's drafty and old, the plastic really helps. We need to replace all of our windows but yuck, I hate to pay for all of that so we keep putting it off....

Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Thanks.

Yes, I have many windows in the house with bad drafts. Replacement cost is prohibitive. I will check that site and amazon. I think Lowes has them also.

The plastic vertical blinds are awful if you have dogs...my guys like to poke through (and then of course the thing breaks).

They dont make things like they used to

Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
We have isulated drapes I bought at JCPenny's and I am very happy with them.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:33 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
really bad drafts from backyard sliding glass doors.
Buy a better door.
Look at Pella/Marvin/Hurd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating