Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 02:04 PM

584 posts, read 2,150,391 times

Advertisements

Where does everyone put their pile of mail and magazines in house? Hang up keys on hook? or put on tray? I need some ideas for entryway organizing. Where to put the mail besides a wall organizer? I don't like the idea of mail being so prominent on the wall. So I don't want it displayed like most wall organizers do. Maybe a tray on the table? or some wall organizer that the mail goes into, but you can't see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 02:09 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
None of what you mentioned is kept in our entryway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Where does everyone put their pile of mail and magazines in house?
Mail is dealt with; magazines go into a basket on the hearth and the previous months' editions are recycled.

Quote:
Hang up keys on hook? or put on tray?
Neither. They are kept in the purse on a carabiner.

Quote:
Where to put the mail besides a wall organizer? I don't like the idea of mail being so prominent on the wall. So I don't want it displayed like most wall organizers do. Maybe a tray on the table? or some wall organizer that the mail goes into, but you can't see it?
I see no reason to display mail.
I open it, toss the envelopes, and deal with the contents.
Every day.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:49 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,120,128 times
We have a keyholder box hanging by our back door. All of our extra keys go there--who wants to lug around all of your spare keys???

Mail, etc., we have a basket on the kitchen table where it ends up until one of us decides to toss all of the credit card solicitations we get. Bills and such end up in our desk.

We rarely come in through our front door so we don't have to worry about stuff in the entryway.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:57 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Where does everyone put their pile of mail and magazines in house? Hang up keys on hook? or put on tray? I need some ideas for entryway organizing. Where to put the mail besides a wall organizer? I don't like the idea of mail being so prominent on the wall. So I don't want it displayed like most wall organizers do. Maybe a tray on the table? or some wall organizer that the mail goes into, but you can't see it?
Out of sight, out of mind? It might be too dangerous - you could forget to pay bills or respond to urgent mail. Why not to move your mail right away to an area where you usually do your "office stuff" /computer desk if you have such? I don't know anyone who would hold/store mail or magazines in an entryway.
Keys, umbrella, hooks for coat etc. that's another story...

Perhaps something like this? (you can store mail and magazines in a drawer)
Draper Entryway Organizer | Pottery Barn
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4a6d6fe6dd.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ff82b87264.jpg West Elm
http://rk.weimgs.com/weimgs/rk/image...-console-c.jpg West Elm

or this:
http://hbu.h-cdn.co/assets/15/48/480...-organizer.jpg
https://img0.etsystatic.com/118/0/10...21234_ln87.jpg
http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Ta...=450&fmt=pjpeg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...89effceb0c.jpg

Happy shopping!

Old 10-25-2016, 06:59 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post

Mail, etc., we have a basket on the kitchen table where it ends up until one of us decides to toss all of the credit card solicitations we get.
You can opt out of those, and other junk mail.
We get almost no junk mail now - we still get things that go to everyone on the route and are not addressed.

The exception is from political candidates, and I have not figured out how to opt out of those.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
I rent the smallest POBox. There is no space for junk mail. This was my way to get rid of the junk.
No mailbox at my house

Old 10-25-2016, 07:30 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
All my bills come electronically. What's in the mailbox is junkmail or catalogs. The jm goes straight in the recycling bin. The catalogs go to a basket in the den to be put in the recycling bin when the next edition arrives.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:11 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
None of what you mentioned is kept in our entryway.

Mail is dealt with; magazines go into a basket on the hearth and the previous months' editions are recycled.

Neither. They are kept in the purse on a carabiner.

I see no reason to display mail.
I open it, toss the envelopes, and deal with the contents.
Every day.
I agree. We have mailbox. I bring the mail into the kitchen, and immediately sort through it. Toss the junk, magazines in a basket by the fireplace to be read. The few bills that I need to pay via mail, immediately go into a pocket file on my desk where I both pay and file my bills. Keys are in my purse. DH puts the second car key in the kitchen drawer.

I have people in and out of my home and I like to keep things neat and my business, MY business.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:09 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
We keep them in three baskets in our home office. The "Action Required" (bills to pay), "Read Only" (things to read but don't need any action. This includes catalogs, etc) and "To Shred" (anything with personal identifying information that we no longer need). Junk goes in the trash bin.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:00 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,231 times
I have a entryway table as you walk in the front door. I have a couple of vases and a decorative plate on it. The only thing on the plate are my sunglasses. I grab them as I walk out to get the mail. Come back in, set the mail down, remove glasses and relock front door, take mail into hubby's office. The shredder is in there.

We don't get bills just the usual junk mail and once in a while something that needs attention.
Magazines are dealt with the same as most everyone has stated. New ones replace the old ones. Old ones into the recycling.

Keys are always in my purse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating