Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 06:40 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,057 times

Advertisements

A kitchen designer friend recently said that door designs with arches for kitchen cabinets are "passe". I started looking through decorator blogs and sure enough I can't find very many at all.

How do you feel about arched doors? I am talking about this type:

Cabinet Styles & Cabinet Door Styles | DS Woods Custom Cabinets | Decatur, Indiana - Northeast Indiana

What are your thoughts on an arched door design?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 06:55 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
The inlay I presume is what you are referring to,and not an actual arc'd door.
I rarely allow the market determine my taste. And style. My finances or lack of have compelled more creativeness.
What is your opinion though? Are you considering this style? It's your home..Your choice

Old 05-31-2017, 07:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
A very popular option on the high end homes here. I think the designer maybe needs to take 2 aspirin and call nobody in the morning. The cherry cabinets with arch top doors are still popular along with white bead board cabinets. Most anything else in design is going to date the house quick. From what I see in the field, the dark cabinets are popular along with white. There doesn't seems to be as many of the medium color cabinets like we always saw up until about 2010. Color though seems to be a regional thing though. You won't see any dark green houses here or blues, greys, etc. It's almost 100% earth tones.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:36 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
I like arched doors, why not?
The cabinets shown are nice also.
I would not pick them, but they are pretty...

That's the beauty of 1000 types of colors, and woods, and designs, you get to choose what suits to your liking.....you buy kitchen cabinets because you like them, they aren't something you rip out and start all over again every 5 years.

Hell, I'm on my 3rd kitchen, and I'm done, this is it for me.......in style, out of style, don't care, not interested.................its staying.

.....and when I die, the new owners can scratch their azzz for all I care, I will be floating on a cloud................................

Old 06-01-2017, 01:21 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,401,301 times
Yes, the arched doors are dated, especially oak...very 80's...that's why you don't see many in the decorator blogs or kitchen design stores. Shaker-style is really in and that IS pretty timeless or so they say. Our clubhouse had the cabinets replaced due to mold and one of the elderly board members picked oak/arch with contemporary granite countertops....looks ridiculous together. It does vary around the country, so if you're thinking about future re-sale, it makes sense to go with what buyers want in your area. For example, in the Midwest the oak and more rustic cabinets can be very typical because of the local wood craftsmanship plus wanting a "warmer" look. In many other areas, white kitchens are "in", and now even light gray.

But if no sale is in your future, just get what YOU want and what makes YOU happy!

Old 06-01-2017, 03:40 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,057 times
I'm not choosing any cabinets right now. I just thought it was an interesting comment, fyi.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:56 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
your terminology is off, this is an arched door. I think you meant raised panel.

Cabinet Door Styles | Brighton Arch Doors | Wellborn

My personal preference is that I don't like them, they feel too fussy to me, but I don't like raised panel doors to begin with, the arch is just one more element (for me) to dislike.

But I think they remain popular - I would say the reason some people say they look more dated is that they were more common in a Tuscan style kitchen, and that style overall has fallen out of favor. I think you can have a raised panel door in a more updated kitchen (not a modern style, just something that is clearly from now and not a decade ago) and they look fine if that's the style someone prefers.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:20 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
To me arched door means arched "door." The DOOR itself is arched at the top. Not the panel IN the door -- the door. So the casing and trim are arched as well. Like the arched doors of an old church or castle.

I think the OP means arched panel style of kitchen door.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:47 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Here is the thing and this is strictly my opinion. No designer wants to say that something older is in style. They all want the new and exciting trend to be the style or even something unorthodox in hopes that 'their' idea of style takes off.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:10 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
To me arched door means arched "door." The DOOR itself is arched at the top. Not the panel IN the door -- the door. So the casing and trim are arched as well. Like the arched doors of an old church or castle.

I think the OP means arched panel style of kitchen door.
yes, that's more accurate, but as the link I posted earlier from a cabinet manufacturer showed, it's common terminology to refer to an arched panel cabinet door as an arched door. Since almost no one has doors that are arched at the top of the door itself, the vast majority people understand you are referring to an arched panel when you call it an arched door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating