Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 05:25 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times

Advertisements

I like the reading area idea as well. Since the entry is so large and imposing, I'd be careful not to put smaller scale pieces in the room, which will then just look rather silly. Big imposing bookcase plus that fainting couch pictured a few posts back, very modern. It would also be useful because of all the light, but not in-your-face useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 08:04 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
For now I'd put a nice big Christmas tree there! Then for other seasons I'd put a round table with a beautiful plant or flower arrangement right in the center. It would be more like a hotel entry

Old 11-25-2017, 11:14 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
I'm thinking water feature with house plants and some koi.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Those pictures are a little outdates by a couple months. I put the pink flower tree in a different part of the house and I have a tall tree in a white pot now lol. I know I want that in this area and I also have a different floor lamp. The other things in the picture might stay or might go as this is the last part that needs to be designed. You can see the photos below. I do like where you are going with your ideas.
If you are going for minimalist, the way you have it in thee pics is spot on. I actually think it looks very nice. Perhaps one more piece of decor, or another plant....But, it looks very nice to me as is.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:28 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
I do like daybeds, which are similar or might actually be the same thing as a fainting couch. I will attach a picture of one I like as it's quite modern and minimalist. I'll also post a picture of when you are by the window facing out (excuse the mess). I do like the tea room idea a lot still. I'll attach another picture of what my previous one looked like. I'm just not sure if it would fit with this house because all my furniture is white and much more contemporary where as my other house was modern rustic.
The third pic, with the floor pillows looks good. You could find muted fabrics, or a muslin/straw color and still maintain your style quite nicely.

Your home is truly lovely....the first pics did not do it justice. I'm interested in what you decide too. I usually don't like some of the modern homes, but it seems that you've captured modern and warm. Lucky you

Old 11-25-2017, 12:36 PM

603 posts, read 445,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
For now I'd put a nice big Christmas tree there! Then for other seasons I'd put a round table with a beautiful plant or flower arrangement right in the center. It would be more like a hotel entry
This would be my preferred approach if the room were to remain non-functional.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:46 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I like all of these ideas, except for an imposing bookcase. I am not sure there is room for such, and the book jackets would get faded from all the sun.

But a cozy nook to read, and some low bookshelves, yes. But the plant room would be awesome.

Also, I would not own a piano unless I could play. A piano is an awfully expensive decor item; it should have some function, IMO.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:22 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
A piano is an awfully expensive decor item; it should have some function, IMO.

Funny you should mention that-
I ran across a great deal on an electronic player baby grand ebony lacquer for less than $1200. I would have scooped it up in a heartbeat to put in living room of last house. Unfortunately that's the only thing that would have fit- it was more like a parlor than a true living room.

I don't play either, but it would have been "grand" to hear piano concertos throughout the house.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:40 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Quote:
Those pictures are a little outdates by a couple months. I put the pink flower tree in a different part of the house and I have a tall tree in a white pot now lol. I know I want that in this area and I also have a different floor lamp. The other things in the picture might stay or might go as this is the last part that needs to be designed. You can see the photos below. I do like where you are going with your ideas.
Your most current set up needs quite a bit more work in terms of scale and lighting.

I’m only going to make a few comments because you have A LOT of work to do in considering style, taste, scale, and lighting. Furnishing should really be the last of your concern.

Lets start with the premise:
- you want this to be a foyer-ish space...you don’t care about function
- you want this space to be a statement
- you are going for white, minimalist, contemporary, presumably ok with some midcentury modern based on some of the stuff you have

Things you have said/shown/alluded to that make me think you have not really thought about the space:

- the seat belt lounger (presumably from Phillips Collection) - not appropriate considering the banister you are working with. That banister is hard to ignore as you enter the front door. I’m assuming the rest of the house has architectural elements that are transitional in nature like your banister, so you should really think about which white/minimalist/contemporary pieces will work well in that space. It certainly can, but you must think about the texture, form, and lines of the pieces you get and how they relate to the rest of the house.

- the lighting - the night pictures you posted show a desperate need for lighting in this area. I encourage you to go back and look at those pictures again. Look at photos of well-lit foyers in some magazines, and look at your photos.

- the art - visit a local museum and observe how art is lit. At the same time, look at the art on the wall in your photo.

- Plants - the tree that you have in the space, while great in height, is not very architectural. Also, the tree has very little relation to some of the (fake?) tropical leaves you have in nearby vases. If you love that tree there, then it stays but rest of the space must be impeccable.

My recommendations:

1. Get rid of that tiny coffee table. STAT. It screams "my owner is moving out and I got left behind when the movers came”.
2. Hire an interior lighting designer to light that space. You CANNOT have a statement foyer without a thoughtful lighting scheme.
3. Consider this question: if you are not going to use that space, and you want this to be a statement foyer space, do you really need chairs and bookshelves etc.?

Contemporary foyer space with high ceiling:
- think of a grand, white, airy chandelier (browse on ylighting, it has a ton of contemporary chandeliers and pendant lights)
- a sufficiently large round foyer table under the chandelier. You can use a round dining table as a foyer table. The important point is scale. It needs to be big enough. For example, take a look at the Saarinen tulip dining table, 60” diameter. I would use the satin coated arabescato marble as the table top with a white base. You can get that at DWR or Knoll or whatever Knoll retailer around you for pretty cheap.
- light the walls appropriately for the art you will place, and don’t go with a snoozer art from any retail. Commission a local artist if possible. Keep scale in mind.
- One or two tall plant - the current tree, or if you want a more sculptural vibe, consider fiddle-leaf fig (ficus lyrata, it’s everywhere these days) or a giant bird of paradise (strelitzia nicolai).

You have quite a bit of work to do in that space, but do keep these points in mind as you work through the design process. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:23 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,056,920 times
Love the idea of a Saarinen tulip table.
The 30" with arabescato marble is 2000.00+ at both DWR and Knoll, the 60" is 8100.00+.

The OP has a budget of 3000.00.

https://www.knoll.com/product/saarin...table-60-round

The knock offs are pretty expensive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating