Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 10:37 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times

Advertisements

Outdoor lights on house will no longer be used after January 1st, but stay in place until safe enough to get them down (requires going on the roof, so most here leave them in place until safe on the roof, could be a window during the January thaw or could be March).

Indoor decorations are packed up and in storage, except for the tree. That and lights/decorations on it will come down and go into storage on New Years Day. Usually everything in the house is already packed up, but my daughter wanted the tree up for New Years Eve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 10:38 PM

247 posts, read 254,311 times
I've actually witnessed someone leave their tree up a whole year

Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,105 times
All down and packed away by 10:00 on 12/26.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:08 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,279 times
Lights and decorations were taken down and put away on Christmas Day this year. The usual routine is everything comes down New Year's Day but once in a while things come down earlier. This is the first year everything was put away before the holiday was over.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:56 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
If you actually celebrate the real Christmas and not the secular version that starts after Halloween, you would still be celebrating the Christmas octave, through which lights are definitely appropriate. Could even extend it a few more days after that to the Feast of the Epiphany on Jan 6. So I tend to do my lights from Gaudete Sunday (3rd week of Advent) to the Epiphany.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:50 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
All Christmas decorations were down and put away by 2pm on Christmas day. That's about normal.... easy when it takes ~10 minutes to put it all away.
Why did you bother to put them up? That is sad.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:23 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I consider the Christmas holiday season to be from the day after Thanksgiving through January 6, or at least from the start of Advent through Epiphany. I swear, our next door neighbors, who had an elaborate Christmas brouhaha in their front yard, must have rushed home from across town and taken down everything before they even had a piece of pecan pie and coffee Christmas afternoon!

I have a good friend who always throws a fabulous holiday party during the week between Christmas and New Years and she always has everything in her house and yard decorated and looking great. It's one of my favorite yearly events.

I don't do all this decorating for two or three weeks, I'll tell you that much. I'm going to celebrate for at least five weeks, maybe even six or so!
Yes, if you're going to take them down on Christmas Day, then what's the point? If you want the season to be over so quick, why decorate in the first place? The very idea of using any of your Christmas Day to take down the decorations is an abomination!

Really, the Christmas stuff should go up the week after Thanksgiving, perhaps a little later with your tree, if you use a real one, as they can dry out before Christmas if you put it up too soon. Never later than December 10th. Otherwise, you should leave ALL of your Christmas decorations up thru New Years Day, which marks the end of the holiday season. On Jan 2nd or after, then it's OK to take down the decorations, with one important exception. If Jan 2nd falls on a Sunday, thou shalt not remove decorations which celebrate the lord Jesus on the Sabbath Day. Never do that, it is a mortal sin and might condemn you to hell, you must wait until the 3rd, if the 2nd falls on a Sunday.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:38 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Yes, if you're going to take them down on Christmas Day, then what's the point? If you want the season to be over so quick, why decorate in the first place? The very idea of using any of your Christmas Day to take down the decorations is an abomination!

Really, the Christmas stuff should go up the week after Thanksgiving, perhaps a little later with your tree, if you use a real one, as they can dry out before Christmas if you put it up too soon. Never later than December 10th. Otherwise, you should leave ALL of your Christmas decorations up thru New Years Day, which marks the end of the holiday season. On Jan 2nd or after, then it's OK to take down the decorations, with one important exception. If Jan 2nd falls on a Sunday, thou shalt not remove decorations which celebrate the lord Jesus on the Sabbath Day. Never do that, it is a mortal sin and might condemn you to hell, you must wait until the 3rd, if the 2nd falls on a Sunday.
As for putting up our decorations, we did it in phases. We turned on our backyard icicle lights the weekend before Thanksgiving. We put up our indoor tree, put our Star Showers, and swapped the orange/yellow/red Thanksgiving light bulbs in our front light fixtures for red/green Christmas bulbs on Black Friday. Finally, we wrapped the tree in our front yard with lights the first weekend of December.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:22 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
For us, it really comes down to the weather. For this year, we will be taking everything down this weekend because temps should be in the low 60s with no snow on the ground. There was one year where I couldn't take down the outside lights until February due to snow and even then it was a complete pain.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Depends on the weather. We won't light them after Jan 1, I don't think.

DH will take them down soon after Jan 1.

So sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating