Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:12 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are investors. He has great design ideas and I make the ideas happen.

Recently, one guy in my office introduced me to his wife, someone who just graduated with an interior design degree... Or something like that. He knows we just bought another house for flipping purposes. I guess he's trying to help his wife out.

When we got to the store, his wife had already picked out some flooring samples she wanted to recommend. She picked out the most expensive items! I'm talking about $15-17 per square foot flooring.

Is this what they teach in interior decorating schools? Go for the most expensive stuff?

Edit.

We then went over to the cabinets. Again, she started recommending the most expensive, top of the line cabinets. I did some math in my head and if I went with her recommendations we would make negative profit.

Yes, I had previously told them the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 11:38 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Well, clearly she didn't "hear"- I mean, "understand"- the BUDGET!

Of course, you're not obligated in anyway to actually purchase what is picked out- but I would certainly pick the brain for how she puts color/texture/fabrics/materials together (that doesn't cost you a thing- unless she's going to charge a consult fee). It maynot be to your personal taste, but keep in mind you're doing a flip.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Well, clearly she didn't "hear"- I mean, "understand"- the BUDGET!

Of course, you're not obligated in anyway to actually purchase what is picked out- but I would certainly pick the brain for how she puts color/texture/fabrics/materials together (that doesn't cost you a thing- unless she's going to charge a consult fee). It maynot be to your personal taste, but keep in mind you're doing a flip.
Well, it's not about my personal taste. In fact, I have no personal taste. We have been pretty successful by doing the design that are geared more toward the neutral. And since we are not doing a charity, profit profit profit profit. How on earth do we gain any profit if we always gravitate toward the most expensive items of everything?

I guess I'm just perplexed to why she automatically assumed we wanted the most expensive stuff of everything.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:06 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Have you used other ID professionals in the past and this was the same experience? While I have no direct experience (never had one design a space), I have spoken with many over the years while hating something is wanted down and I never got the impression that money was the driving force. Again YMMV.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:26 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
...if we always gravitate toward the most expensive items of everything?

...she automatically assumed we wanted the most expensive stuff of everything.
Which is it?

Old 03-16-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Which is it?
The first quoted section, 'we' included her, which was our guide. The second portion, 'we' meant my husband and I.

Of course had you quoted those statements in context, it would have been obvious. But since you set out to prove me wrong or look for contradictions, apparently quote-mining wasn't too low for you.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:10 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Have you used other ID professionals in the past and this was the same experience? While I have no direct experience (never had one design a space), I have spoken with many over the years while HUNTING something is wanted down and I never got the impression that money was the driving force. Again YMMV.
Above post corrected.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Designers are not "non-profit" also.

However, no, this is not a specific policy they teach in design schools, of course.

You left out a LOT of helpful info in your post, though.

One minute a co-worker is telling you his wife is a designer:

Quote:
Recently, one guy in my office introduced me to his wife, someone who just graduated with an interior design degree... Or something like that. He knows we just bought another house for flipping purposes. I guess he's trying to help his wife out.
The next thing we read, you're at "the store," and apparently you've agreed to hire her?

Quote:
When we got to the store, his wife had already picked out some flooring samples she wanted to recommend. She picked out the most expensive items! I'm talking about $15-17 per square foot flooring.
It's just hard to know what you DID cover with her in order to judge why she might have gone that direction.

IME, this is a product of inexperience more than anything. Experienced designers are more subtle at feeling out your true price range. Maybe when she heard you and your husband are "investors" she saw dollar signs.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:53 PM

^^ Ok, I'll give you that. I did leave out a lot of details. Just know that no we did not hire her. We very specifically told her what kind of budget we were working with and the purpose of the renovation. We very specifically explained to her that we were flipping the place, not make it into our dream home.

While she was show casing her very expensive design, again top dollar everything, she kept saying this and that will be right for us. No, I'm not going to spend $10k on flooring for just the first floor of a house in the mid $200k's.

I still don't understand why she had to pick out the most expensive items that store had to offer.

But no, we did not hire her. Consider our little meeting her interview. She failed.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
This reminds me of many real estate agents who don't listen. They never got my business either.

She didn't listen, so that's the bottom line. She must be living in a HGTV dream world. But, I don't think it's necessarily something all graduates would be doing. I'm sure some of them have learned about budgets. Maybe this person has never had to worry about money, either, so just doesn't get it.

How awkward, though, to have your co-worker's wife fobbed off on you like that, with the expectation to hire her. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating