Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 05:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Haha, I often think of that. Our kitchen faces the fireplace (8 feet long with original bread oven) and it still has the original pot holder in the fireplace. While I'm cooking at my stove I think about how people used to have to prepare their meals and it certainly makes me feel fortunate! Though I wouldn't mind a brick floor. And we do have a 9 foot reclaimed pine table where we eat!
How wonderful. I would absolutely love your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 05:51 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Agree with the majority that open shelving is not a good solution for you. Painting the cabinets, changing hardware and perhaps adding beadboard will help give a more cohesive look to the rest of the house. And you can get brick-look ceramic tiles for the floor that will also make it more period appropriate Floor Tile That Looks Like Brick - Jager Haus

Old 07-02-2018, 09:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Agree with the majority that open shelving is not a good solution for you. Painting the cabinets, changing hardware and perhaps adding beadboard will help give a more cohesive look to the rest of the house. And you can get brick-look ceramic tiles for the floor that will also make it more period appropriate Floor Tile That Looks Like Brick - Jager Haus
Wow, love that flooring. I think starting with just a different paint color on the walls might make a big difference, too.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:52 PM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Been there - washed everything every two weeks. Never again.
Open shelves? Absolutely not for me, unless you want to do this ^^^^.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:09 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
I personally think the black counters are too modern for an "older" home unless that is your goal. . . Otherwise, I agree with the rest no open shelves, maybe replace with taller uppers in the future. Life is way too short to spend it washing dust off "clean" dishes.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:22 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
I didn't see this thread when it was new, but thought I'd get my two cents worth in.

I love your kitchen! I wouldn't change a thing. (That said, if you don't like it then you should change it. )

Old 07-09-2018, 05:29 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
I wish I had your current kitchen! I like it a lot. And it is so much nicer than my kitchen. It would be really hard for me to go all open shelving, because, while I think a stack of dishes would look fine, all the other junk that gets put in there doesn't look nice.

I really don't know if people as a whole like open shelving -- and you do have to consider resale. If there's even a remote possibility you'd have to sell in the next 20 years or so, that might be a drawback to buyers. But if you plan to be in the house forever, and you want open shelves, then do what makes you happy.

I think you indicated part of the idea for open shelving was due to price. If that's the biggest reason, I wouldn't do it. Hold off until you can redo the kitchen the way you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Don't forget, too, that if you cook on the stove top, everything in the open shelves will gradually be covered with a mixture of dust and congealed oil vapor.

I think open shelves in the kitchen are a spectacularly bad idea. You also will have to be a fanatical neatnik to achieve the level of neat appearance that you could achieve by simply closing the doors on regular cabinets.
Yeah -- for quite a few years, I've had things stored on top of my cabinets, near the ceiling. They are always covered in this gross layer of oil and dust and grime. Whenever I think of it (or have to use the item), I have to take it down and wash it well. So, doing this with most of the things I own would be very unappealing.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:45 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Open shelving MIGHT be okay if all you had to put up there was china and glassware, and they were sets. I’ve got mostly matching china, but I’ve also got extra (unmatched) cereal bowls, and glasses from two different sets, plus the couple Tervis glasses I use in the summer. Not to mention my hodge-podge of coffee mugs and commuter mugs. My other upper cabinets hold a variety of storage containers - no further comment necessary - and my spices in the original containers and rotating on a Rubbermaid lazy susan. All this needs to be behind doors.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,139 times
I see open shelves as for display and not for storage of everday items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating