Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,256 times

Advertisements

I have this 8 piece portico fifth avenue crystal set and I was looking online and I was unable to find a value for this set. I know the decanter is not available for sale, or at least I haven't been able to find one. I've seen the goblets on sale for $75 for a set of 4. this set has never even been taken out of the box. does anyone know what this could be worth?

[img]/storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera/20190517_200253.jpg [/img]

Last edited by jessicaR26; 05-17-2019 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 10:39 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
try pricing this at "Replacements". IIRC, they are pretty much the industry standard for insurance valuations/loss claims, and where folk who lose an item like this from a set can get another to match. Alternatively, call your insurance agent and ask how they'd get a valuation for the item.

Like most of these items, what it's worth on any given day is what a willing buyer will give for it at the time. "true price discovery" oft-times happens only at a well publicized auction. Don't be surprised if the market value today is less than the retail pricing at the dealers and a deep discount from retail will be needed to find a willing buyer.

PS: a quick check on-line shows a ton of this product line offered for sale at up to 80% discount from "retail", everywhere from BESO to many on-line and box store retailers. It appears to be a commodity level 24% crystal item made in Poland and at a low retail price point to start with. Waterford or Lalique collectable lead crystal it's not … and even a lot of their common popular lines trade at steep discounts from new "list" prices at the dealers.

I've been to a fair number of household auctions where it looks like somebody was gifted this type of product for a special event or a wedding and it got put away for years … "still in the box, brand new", unused. At one auction last summer, I bought Waterford butter and candy dishes for pennies on the dollar, and two big biscuit jars for $5 each before another bidder decided they wanted in on the action for a couple of Waterford small candlesticks and stepped up at $20/pair … a fraction of what these sold for new. All new in original boxes with original stickers and the signing was very legible. Still, I hung in there to get a Waterford table lamp for $15, a fraction of it's new "list" price.

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-17-2019 at 10:56 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 11:45 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Post your picture properly. We can't see it.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/8...ing-posts.html

Old 05-18-2019, 06:16 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaR26 View Post
I have this 8 piece portico fifth avenue crystal set and I was looking online and I was unable to find a value for this set. I know the decanter is not available for sale, or at least I haven't been able to find one. I've seen the goblets on sale for $75 for a set of 4. this set has never even been taken out of the box. does anyone know what this could be worth?
You don't say why you are interested in the value. Just know that if you are attempting to value it for sale, forget about it. You will never get that number, unless you stumble upon the person who is looking for that specific pattern and set.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:02 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaR26 View Post
I have this 8 piece portico fifth avenue crystal set...does anyone know what this could be worth?
Less than you paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating