Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 06:39 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times

Advertisements

Our house was built in the 90's when having a kitchen counter that extended into the living area such that one could sit on a stool and eat there was in fashion. Maybe it still is. I'm not even sure what this feature is called. But we have an empty nest, the stools are gone, and every time I look at it all I see is wasted space that could be used for storing things. Our small modest house has no pantry and few closets and I would love to put some storage solution under the counter overhang to conceal some of the kitchen clutter.

I did an internet search and discovered that I'm not the only one with this problem and most of the solutions have been geared towards putting shelves there. But we have dogs and need a solution with doors. Plus our stuff crammed haphazardly onto shelves visible from the living area would look like crap and defeat the purpose of getting it off the counters etc.

I'm not a cabinet maker or a person of wealth, I am looking for a very affordable solution. Also I am located in Hawaii so getting things from Ikea etc are not an option. Since I'm not wanting to re-invent the wheel I'm asking the community for ideas/suggestions/solutions/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 06:47 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Take good measurements and start haunting used furniture stores for a credenza or similar piece that has the correct dimensions. Look for things with legs that you might be able to cut down a small amount to get a better fit

Old 11-11-2019, 10:23 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Is the overhang at least 13"?

And if you have regular base cabinets- the height should be about 35". This means (unfortunately) that a regular 36" wall cabinet will not fit. But a 30" wall cabinet will with some creative fillers.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:56 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
put a small dresser there. or a buffet if there is enough room

Old 11-12-2019, 10:07 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times
Anything you do there is going to look junky, in my opinion.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:21 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
I would contact a local finish carpenter and see what they can build or install for you and how much it will cost.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
What you have is a peninsula. I think your best shot is to find a cabinetmaker to fashion you something to fit.

I have drawer units under my peninsula, that face into my kitchen. I gather you want storage that fits under the overhang?

Decide what things you would store there. Is there a way to put those things in canisters or jars, so dogs cannot get into them? I do think your best choice would be shelves. Perhaps you could store napkins or rolled placemats, or cookbooks, or wineglasses there.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:14 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not worried about the dogs taking things, just shedding on them.

I would agree any solution could look junky, which is why I'm asking for help.

"I have drawer units under my peninsula, that face into my kitchen. I gather you want storage that fits under the overhang?"

EXACTLY.

I'm not looking to DISPLAY things. In fact, I'm looking to conceal things. So displaying wine glasses, rolled napkins or whatever pretentious type HGTV type solution is not what I'm looking for. I don't drink wine very often, but when I do it's usually out of a coffee mug. I also think displaying coffee mugs is junky. So I keep them in a cabinet.

I have a small, modest home with no storage.

Last edited by terracore; 11-12-2019 at 08:23 PM..

Old 11-12-2019, 08:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not worried about the dogs taking things, just shedding on them.

I would agree any solution could look junky, which is why I'm asking for help.

"I have drawer units under my peninsula, that face into my kitchen. I gather you want storage that fits under the overhang?"

EXACTLY.

I'm not looking to DISPLAY things. In fact, I'm looking to conceal things. So wine glasses, rolled napkins or whatever pretentious type HGTV type solution is not what I'm looking for. I don't drink wine very often, but when I do it's usually out of a coffee mug. I also think displaying coffee mugs is junky. So I keep them in a cabinet.

I have a small, modest home with no storage.
What do you want to store there specifically? And storing napkins or wine glasses is hardly pretentious.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:39 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,405 times
In my apartment there is a breakfast bar that juts out into the living area. It's become a "dumping station" for mail and clutter which I've tried to control with a mail sorter and some baskets. Underneath is quite a bit of wasted space. As the counter extends between 2 walls I put up a heavy duty tension rod and put a curtain across it. Since the area below the solid wall is so narrow, and I needed someplace to put my purse and gym gear, I put up a wall mounted coat rack underneath the counter and hang everything there. I can slide the curtain over so the messiness doesn't show.

I'm attaching pictures to give you a sense of what I'm talking about. The "curtain" which is overlapping the rod is actually a shower curtain picked up from Home Goods for under $20. If I cut the shower curtain width-wise in half that would give me just enough material to extend the curtain over the entire rod. Unfortunately, the stripes on this particular curtain are variegated and don't line up. I can't find another shower curtain like it so the project is in limbo while I look for different curtain(s). It's a relatively inexpensive solution and keeps the space flexible.

Normally the craft cart wouldn't be there, and the counter wouldn't be that cluttered (I cleaned it up in the 3rd pic) I guess it's time for me to do some housekeeping
Attached Thumbnails
Using the wasted space on the chair side of a kitchen bar / breakfast nook-20191112_225103.jpg   Using the wasted space on the chair side of a kitchen bar / breakfast nook-20191112_225205.jpg   Using the wasted space on the chair side of a kitchen bar / breakfast nook-20191112_232208.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating