Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,939 times

Advertisements

i have a question for everyone... i hope you can help us out!

we are moving for one year to dallas, tx. we currently live in charleston, sc. we live in a condo here that my husband's parents own and it's got our furniture in it. however, all the furniture is hand me downs and i like everything but the living room furniture. it's a beachy theme and we don't really like it and it's seen better days. so for our move, we don't want to rent a uhaul and drive it all the way to tx. so we were considering either buying new furniture and next year possibly driving it back or giving it to goodwill or renting furniture. i don't really want to ride around yard sales in a town we're not familiar with and sit on the floor until we find something. and i'm one of those people who want everything taken care of yesterday.

so do you all think we should buy furniture for our one bedroom apartment in dallas or rent furniture or buy junky furniture. like i said, we'll only be there a year. and a couple other things - i have found a bed, two nightstands, dresser, mattresses, couch, chair, ottoman/coffee table, and end table for about $3k (is that a lot? - i've never bought furniture. it's stuff i really like and can use later) if we rented furniture it would be about $3k for the year - and the mattress isn't new...ewww.

i guess this may be silly - but we're really stuck with what to do! anyone been in our situation?

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:04 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times
I rented furniture before... when I was young and dumb and did not know how to wait.

I think you would do better to buy from a cheap furniture store since you are only going to be there for 1 year. like maybe Value City furniture or the like.

You can get a whole living room of furniture (couch, chair, 3 tables, and lamps) for under $900 sometimes 600.

They usually have 90 days same as cash or longer... and will pay your sales tax.

Renting furniture is costly, usually by the week and you pay something like 3 x the worth. . by 1 year you could have paid for furniture from discount store. And I think the quality of both are similar.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Do not rent furniture, by the time you have paid for your rentals you could have bought the stuff a few times over.

Furnishing your place for $3000 is pretty reasonable. You can spend $3000+ just on a couch. When you are done with your furniture you can sell it on Craigslist for probably 1/2 of what you paid for it too.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:33 AM

522 posts, read 1,584,887 times
I think $3000 is a great price for all that furniture. You can spend $ 800 + on a mattress alone. I think you should get what you like and not rent the furniture.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:41 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,968 times
Since moving furniture can be expensive, I would only take those items you like, and leave the rest. Maybe you can get a second hand furniture dealer to pay you for some of the inherited and hand me down stuff.

As others have said, I would avoid renting furniture since it is a racket designed for suckers.

The big question for me would be whether what I bought was a temporary stopgap measure, or if I was buying for the long haul. Much of the bargain stuff you see in furniture stores is very poorly made, and starts to look shabby real quick. You are almost better off buying at a Target or WalMart.

When I bought the house I am in now, I knew I would be here for some time, and I did get serious about furniture. I learned how to tell well made stuff from bad, and over the course of 18 months bought sale items that were solid wood and well crafted. I scrimped and saved on everything else to do it, but I am happy I did.

This was especially true for my mattress. It was the first thing I bought and my sleep is too important to cheap out on that. I do not regret having done so. I thank myself every night.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Why not buy some decent furniture for your bedroom and maybe a kitchen table and chairs and a sofa and chair and then move it back from Texas. Don't waste your money buying junk. You can haul it back in a small uhaul and you'll have something to build upon in the future.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,573 times
Definitely buy furniture. We are currently renting three rooms of furniture for a "special" price of $247/month. The first month we had to pay delivery fee + first months rent + deposit = $600+. The company my DH works for is paying for it (long story), but for the price, if we were going to be here any longer (we're only in the apt for 3 months til our house is finished) it would be cheaper to purchase, even if it were "bargain type" furniture. If you're going to be there a year you could buy some pretty decent pieces and still have something to show for it when you go back "home"!

BTW, the furniture we're renting is very cheap looking - the tables are laminate on top - clean with windex etc., not even real wood! Couch and chair...not comfortable. BUY!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:02 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,939 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. My husband and I really don't want to drive a Uhaul that far and we'll both have our cars. We're considering going down with nothing and driving around and looking for deals at furniture places/ yard sales/ estate sales, etc. It's scary but I'd rather save the money and buy nice furniture for the house we end up buying back at home and not have to worry about what to do w/ the other furniture we bought. So...we're going to pack our air mattress and hopefully not have to use it but for a night or two!

Thanks again!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,699,497 times
Most definitely buy furniture! I worked with someone who rented and I was blown away by what they were paying! If they had set that money aside each month for a year, they could've bought nicer furniture than they rented and would've had money left for a trip to Vegas.

No one says you have to buy top-of-the-line furniture, but I would highly recommend not buying used and would not recommend renting. There are plenty of deals out there. $3,000 is extremely respectable, especially since you got new mattresses with all the other items mentioned. New mattresses can be unreasonably expensive and you could've easily spent $3,000 on them alone.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:39 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
The thing is, I would consider it more of a hassle to dispose of the stuff I acquired in Texas, than to move it back after a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating