Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 02:08 PM

14,513 posts, read 20,718,056 times

Advertisements

We got tired of looking at yellow and beige walls and decided to try a light gray. We got three gallons of Kilz primer in the same shade as what will be used as the final coat. All rooms primed with one coat (we could tell a second coat would be needed) and all looked the same except in the bathroom. There were two different shades of gray. This was puzzling. We were wrapping up the last can and decided to paint over the two toned area in the bathroom. The result is what is seen in the photo. It's worse than areas darker than the other. That was painted with what was left in the paint tray with a roller. After it dried it ended up like you see. Time and money could be wasted trying to add a second coat of primer if the end result each time is going to be like in the photo. Each can was mixed with the exact amounts of black and white to get the desired gray. Appealing gray it's called.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior painting and different shades from the same can-imgp0561.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 03:56 PM

23,391 posts, read 19,006,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We got tired of looking at yellow and beige walls and decided to try a light gray. We got three gallons of Kilz primer in the same shade as what will be used as the final coat. All rooms primed with one coat (we could tell a second coat would be needed) and all looked the same except in the bathroom. There were two different shades of gray. This was puzzling. We were wrapping up the last can and decided to paint over the two toned area in the bathroom. The result is what is seen in the photo. It's worse than areas darker than the other. That was painted with what was left in the paint tray with a roller. After it dried it ended up like you see. Time and money could be wasted trying to add a second coat of primer if the end result each time is going to be like in the photo. Each can was mixed with the exact amounts of black and white to get the desired gray. Appealing gray it's called.
Did the primed surface on that wall look uniform in color after it was dry or did those two tones still show? The primer may have reacted to two different original surfaces. Did you keep the paint mixed during application? Even if the actual paint pigment mix was the same at the store, many paints separate fairly quickly both in the can and in the tray. If you didn't keep the paint blended during application or let it sit too long before finishing the job you can end up with different shades from start to finish.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-02-2020 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-02-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not quite sure I understand. So, you primed that two-toned wall with the same primer right? Did the primed surface on that two toned wall look the same as the other walls after it was dry? If it didn't, there was something different about the surface of that one wall. The primer reacted to it. Did you keep the paint mixed during application? Even if the actual paint pigment mix was the same at the store, many paints separate fairly quickly both in the can and in the tray. If you didn't keep the paint blended during application you can end up with different shades from start to finish.
The bathroom had two yellow walls and two beige. The photo shows one of the beige walls that was painted with one coat of primer. On that wall there was a darker gray in spots. I just ignored it and moved to another room and after completion I had a small amount of paint left in the tray and went to the wall shown in the photo and painted that entire area.
Maybe the paint department (Home Depot) didn't mix the 3rd gallon the same way they did the first two.
I'm not sure how accurate the painting mixing machines are.
Maybe the surface is different in some way but all walls are sheet rock.
The formula was on the sticker on top of the first can. I took that label vs. just asking for the desired gray.

All walls in all rooms need a second coat but after drying if they are going to look like what is seen in the photo then what will it take to get the same shade on all four walls of a room.

No I did not blend the paint in the tray as I went. Each tray of paint was used in under 10 minutes. I never thought blending might be needed. I saw no obvious separation.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:08 PM

37,669 posts, read 46,114,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The bathroom had two yellow walls and two beige. The photo shows one of the beige walls that was painted with one coat of primer. On that wall there was a darker gray in spots. I just ignored it and moved to another room and after completion I had a small amount of paint left in the tray and went to the wall shown in the photo and painted that entire area.
Maybe the paint department (Home Depot) didn't mix the 3rd gallon the same way they did the first two.
I'm not sure how accurate the painting mixing machines are.
Maybe the surface is different in some way but all walls are sheet rock.
The formula was on the sticker on top of the first can. I took that label vs. just asking for the desired gray.

All walls in all rooms need a second coat but after drying if they are going to look like what is seen in the photo then what will it take to get the same shade on all four walls of a room.

No I did not blend the paint in the tray as I went. Each tray of paint was used in under 10 minutes. I never thought blending might be needed. I saw no obvious separation.
Always always prime walls in WHITE.

The paint is not your issue. It's how you primed the walls.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:52 PM

17,482 posts, read 66,188,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Always always prime walls in WHITE.

No! You don't ALWAYS prime walls in WHITE! A white base for some colors will create a blotched look that will require multiple coats of paint for complete coverage. Sometimes white bases make colors brighter than the sample- which can also require multiple coats.

Using a primer that is tinted the same color as the final finish can usually be done in one coat.

OP- since this is only the primer I wouldn't fret too much. You will most likely cover with one or two coats; and done!

Old 02-02-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
No! You don't ALWAYS prime walls in WHITE! A white base for some colors will create a blotched look that will require multiple coats of paint for complete coverage. Sometimes white bases make colors brighter than the sample- which can also require multiple coats.

Using a primer that is tinted the same color as the final finish can usually be done in one coat.

OP- since this is only the primer I wouldn't fret too much. You will most likely cover with one or two coats; and done!
Do what you want. I have talked to a lot of painters. They rarely used anything but white. Especially when painting over a darker color.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:26 PM

5,200 posts, read 3,120,686 times
When they have several cans, professional painters mix them together (aka box) to avoid what happened to you. Paints never exactly match the sample cards, and the tinting between cans is never the same. Next time buy a empty 5-gallon bucket and mix them together before you start.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
When they have several cans, professional painters mix them together (aka box) to avoid what happened to you. Paints never exactly match the sample cards, and the tinting between cans is never the same. Next time buy a empty 5-gallon bucket and mix them together before you start.
I have had tons of paint mixed at Benjamin Moore. They even have a custom color on file for me, for my kitchen. I have never had an issue with the mixed paint not matching. I would switch where I was buying paint!

Old 02-03-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
* Using a primer that is tinted the same color as the final finish can usually be done in one coat.

* That is what we thought would be the way to go. A Kilz primer, appealing gray.
Final coat would be Glidden premium interior appealing gray.
After one coat of the primer we saw poor coverage areas that implied another coat of primer.

I should have bought all 3 gallons at the same time but I knew it was a couple month effort and did not want gallons #2 and #3 sitting there separating. Something that might not be resolved totally by stirring with a paint stick. We can get a paint stir for our powered hand drill for better mixing.

The two shades in the photo from the same paint tray was not expected at all.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:13 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,613,683 times
Do the lids on the primer cans have labels that show the mixes of colors to tint the primer? If so, compare those.

Also, it could be a lighting issues--natural or artificial. Not sure of your lighting sources, but could it be caused by metamerism? More info from Sherman Williams here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating