Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,229 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We are looking at a kitchen remodel to include taking down a wall and opening up the room. The problem is its a galley kitchen with a designated 'informal' eating area. Taking down the wall opens up the room, but we're not entirely sure what to make of this 'new' space. I've included current floorplan.

On the diagram, you can see the 'Kid's Room' which was ostensibly the dining room originally. Now the kids are older and don't use this space. We can take down the wall between the kitchen and this room, to include the wall separating the kid's room and the pantry (marked closet). We're unable to take down any other walls due to structural elements or HVAC ducting. We're also amenable to opening up a window in the far wall of the kid's room (to the left of the French doors).

One thought we had was to wrap the cabinetry around to the left into the old pantry space and set up a 'bar' area. Also to put in a peninsula that extends from the current cabinets into the middle of the space to 'tie' the rooms together. But we're not sure what to do with that far wall in any case.

We would appreciate any suggestions on how we could use this space. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Remodel Design Suggestions-1st-floor-floorplan.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 09:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,377,164 times
I am having a hard time reading the labels on the different rooms, but I think what you propose to do is have the entire back of the house be open, as in one large space. If I am understanding this correctly, then I think you have the makings of a large living/cooking/dining area.

But first, I think you need to decide what you want to achieve with this remodel. Do you want a bigger kitchen for Instance? More storage? A nice family gathering place? Something else?

It seems to me that your kitchen looks cramped, so if you want to enlarge and improve this space, then you will have to move into either the kid’s room or the adjacent eating area.

Am I off base here?

Old 01-27-2020, 10:24 PM

17,525 posts, read 66,520,735 times
Start here-

https://nkba.org/search/members?near...2&lng=-77.3064

Old 01-27-2020, 10:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,724,827 times
I don't understand what you're wanting to do exactly. But, I'd just say that you can even move HVAC ducting.

I'd start by pretending that money was no option, and figure out what you'd like to do if you could do anything you wanted to do. Then, talk to pros to see if you can do it, and then what they might suggest as alternatives.

I was amazed at how cheap it was to actually tear down walls, etc, when I totally rehabbed a place I bought. Of course, you can't tear down a weight-bearing wall, but you might have more options than you may have thought, including changing HVAC ducts, etc.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 2,229 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't realize the picture was so fuzzy.

For silibran, yes, what we're trying to do is open up the entire back of the house (the top of the picture), the problem we're running into is that we already have a 'living room' (bottom left of the picture) and a formal dining room (bottom right). So question then becomes do we add a new 'eating' area in the kids room (top left) and if so, then what does the old eating area become - where the bay windows are.

We're just looking for thoughts on how we can best use that kid's play room. The goal is to expand the kitchen area, which is small, but does the new area become all kitchen or were there thoughts on how we could make better use of that space (such as an office or some mixed purpose room).

Thank you for the suggestions K'ledgebldr and SnowForMe. We have in fact been talking with a design and already have a GC on board, we're just trying to see what other options might be for us. Thanks again

Old 01-28-2020, 12:01 PM

17,756 posts, read 30,059,983 times
Hire an architect or kitchen designer.
Spend 1+ year planning.
Changes on paper are cheap. Specify everything before commencing work.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:05 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,269,805 times
you leave the eating area where it is. Put cabinets all along the back wall between the bay window and kids room west wall, a long row. keep the cabinets across the galley between the foyer entrance and the pantry door. enlarge the pantry "west" (saying north as compass north in the pictures orientation) all the way to the entrance to the living room and enlarge the opening between the living room and the newly expanded kitchen and add an island if you like islands. if you dont like islands you can wrap cabinetry around the west wall of the kids room and now you have twice as much kitchen. Put your new sink under the double windows in the kids room

Old 01-28-2020, 12:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,377,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Hire an architect or kitchen designer.
Spend 1+ year planning.
Changes on paper are cheap. Specify everything before commencing work.
This is my thought. But you are asking us the question only you can answer. What do you hope to achieve with the remodel? Do you want or need a bigger kitchen? If that is not your goal, then what is?

Then, IMO, you need to consult an architect who can look at your space and see what can be done. There is a lot about tearing into a house that you probably do not even imagine. But there are also ways you can’t imagine to get a really great, functional space.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:43 PM

7,281 posts, read 7,169,467 times
The way I see it is overtaking the kids space for the kitchen just makes a long kitchen longer.

I agree, you need an architect. In my mind, the kitchen should be moved to the kids area and opened to the living space, the pantry closet demolished, the half bath relocated and that bay window replaced with something more functional - perhaps a slider to the back yard.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:13 AM

17,525 posts, read 66,520,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aklein97 View Post
We have in fact been talking with a design(er) and already have a GC on board, we're just trying to see what other options might be for us. Thanks again

Why not show the crowd what your designer has suggested and everybody can give their opinions. So far, I see one missing factor out of the suggestions- a dining room should be directly connected to the kitchen. I would definitely revert back the "kid's room" to a Dining Room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating