Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 12:05 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Our new room mate will be here by the end of May.
I rehomed the furniture of the spare bedroom two weeks ago. All that is left is a cat tree:>)
Room is tiny (12x12) and roomie may stay or not or ... .
I am open to suggestions. SO said Murphy Bed. It is too clunky. Does anyone have experience with day beds and using real mattresses? I would like to stay around 1,500 for the bed frame.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2023, 12:40 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,511,188 times
I had a day bed in the den. It was a twin mattress and box spring and a simple metal frame which held cushions on each end. Wedge bolster cushions were also against the wall. I had a nice cover made by a seamstress out of a heavy canvass. An alternative to a traditional frame would be a platform without ends (run about $125 on the internet). Plywood attached to both sides would make ends; the big box stores would cut it to size. Then spray paint to seal and then the desired color. I would avoid the Murphy bed since they are expensive and take up room when folded up which gets old fast.

Old 04-24-2023, 02:44 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,226,596 times
12x12 is not that tiny.

A double/full size bed is 53' wide, leaving almost 4 ft on either side of the bed, and about 6 ft at the foot of the bed assuming it's up against a wall.
single/twin is usually 38' wide.

I'd nix the day bed and opt for a full.

Old 04-24-2023, 02:48 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
I have a smaller bedroom that is a guest room/mom's room when she visits. And I found the bed at the link:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-...hite-30349329/

Reasonably priced, although the mattresses are a bit too firm for my taste, and it can become a king size bed if needed.

Old 04-24-2023, 04:43 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Does the roommate have any input? How big is he or she? A day bed might be fine as would a full size bed.

Old 04-24-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
12x12 is not that tiny.

A double/full size bed is 53' wide, leaving almost 4 ft on either side of the bed, and about 6 ft at the foot of the bed assuming it's up against a wall.
single/twin is usually 38' wide.

I'd nix the day bed and opt for a full.
We are looking at solid wood futons folding out to Queen. Mumsy is still 6 feet. When SO had an unexpected quadruple bypass this was his room to hang out with a never ending TV series and the furries working shifts sitting with him. Big window. We do not know what her plans are or if she will really show up.
Thank you. Full makes sense.

Old 04-24-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I have a smaller bedroom that is a guest room/mom's room when she visits. And I found the bed at the link:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-...hite-30349329/

Reasonably priced, although the mattresses are a bit too firm for my taste, and it can become a king size bed if needed.
The closes IKEA is unfortunately in Frisco, TX. A good five hour one-way drive. There are similar options out there. Thank you for the idea.

Old 04-24-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Does the roommate have any input? How big is he or she? A day bed might be fine as would a full size bed.
Roomie is my mother. 6 feet, 85, finds a fly in every soup. Last time we got the memo we put everything in place and she forgot to let us know that she is not coming. Well, a young couple got some nice furniture and is using it. I am trying this time to find something that will also work for us. A place to read, curl up, have a second bed in case of medical needs for the caretaker. This is the x time we are at this point. But it could be real this time.Yes, full it has to be.

SO's suggestion was a motor home parked next to the house.

Old 04-24-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I had a day bed in the den. It was a twin mattress and box spring and a simple metal frame which held cushions on each end. Wedge bolster cushions were also against the wall. I had a nice cover made by a seamstress out of a heavy canvass. An alternative to a traditional frame would be a platform without ends (run about $125 on the internet). Plywood attached to both sides would make ends; the big box stores would cut it to size. Then spray paint to seal and then the desired color. I would avoid the Murphy bed since they are expensive and take up room when folded up which gets old fast.
Thank you Webster. We did the DYI in the past. I cannot find the site of the company which had solid pine platforms and under bed drawers. Then they moved to head boards and attached trays for bed side tables. We had several of them. Lack of time is an issue now.

Old 04-25-2023, 12:57 AM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Wayfair has some nice looking, inexpensive daybeds with good ratings.

Would suggest to find what you like then "Search image with Google lens" - chances are that you find them cheaper somewhere else.
https://www.wayfair.com/keyword.php?...Elegant+daybed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating