Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 06:00 PM

596 posts, read 2,875,761 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a resource for learning how to fix the drawers so they move in and out of the dresser freely without catching or sticking? We have a couple of nice dressers that we like, but they have issues. Would rather repair and keep them than toss and buy new. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 06:27 PM

22,561 posts, read 47,614,734 times
have you tried rubbing the runners with candles? the wax reduces the friction...

Old 04-17-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
have you tried rubbing the runners with candles? the wax reduces the friction...
Thanks, Pitt, hadnt heard of that. I will see if that may work, but it appears that the track the drawers run along have worn away the track on the underside of each drawer - threading the wood and or destroying the part that fits in there. In some cases, the drawer barely has much of a track on it to place onto the metal strip in the cabinet.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:29 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Yes you have 2 options. Us cabinet professionals get our cabinet parts from Louis and Company Products @ Louis and Company (http://www.louisandcompany.com/products.aspx - broken link) every large city in America has a location. Navigating the site to find your replacment parts will be a challenge for you. Sorry but I obviously can not point it out to you not knowing what you have.

Another simpler place you can check which has outlet stores in most cities are Rockler Woodworking Tools Supplies Hardware Plans Finishing - Rockler.com They cater more to the handyman craftsmen hobbiest.

Good luck...........

Old 04-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Thank you very much desertsun41. I'll check those links out.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:51 PM

desertsun41, what sort of cost would we be looking at, if we hired someone to redo all of the drawers, and what do you call this type of repair job? Is it something that would take a long time? Is it best to drop the furniture pieces off somewhere, or hire a carpenter out of the newspaper classifieds, or ? I am wondering if we should just put the two dressers and two end tables into the garage, and hire someone to spend a day or two, or however long it would take, to do this job? But if its easy to do, I'll just do it.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
desertsun41, what sort of cost would we be looking at, if we hired someone to redo all of the drawers, and what do you call this type of repair job? Is it something that would take a long time? Is it best to drop the furniture pieces off somewhere, or hire a carpenter out of the newspaper classifieds, or ? I am wondering if we should just put the two dressers and two end tables into the garage, and hire someone to spend a day or two, or however long it would take, to do this job? But if its easy to do, I'll just do it.
Good questions. The parts area cheap. Whether it be the under drawer wood and plastic guides or side or under mount steel guides you should be about $5 to 8.00 per drawer. Who does this work? I dont know if we have a proper name for this service. I learned it as a cabinet service man but cabinet service men work for big cabinet companies, not on their own. Maybe a furniture repairman but they are scarce too.

I suspect the average handyman would be clueless too. I'm not sure the average handy homeowner can do it. I can not tell by your posts where you are from. Since I have cabinet contacts all over the USA and Canada I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

I would much rather see you go with steel ball bearing side mount drawer guides to replace those old worn wooden undermounts. But for this you must have a half inch on each side of the drawer box to the side stile. If you dont then you have to stick with the junky wooden ones.

Can you take a pick of this?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM

27 posts, read 130,068 times
I used Furniture Medic to repair my dresser drawers. Not sure if they are in your area. I don't know what the cost was because our furniture was under warranty at the time. Shouldn't be too much, though.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddie View Post
I used Furniture Medic to repair my dresser drawers. Not sure if they are in your area. I don't know what the cost was because our furniture was under warranty at the time. Shouldn't be too much, though.
I agree. I had mentioned a furniture repair man but had no idea there was a franchise like the above mentioned around.

If the OP comes back to read this, go google Furniture Medic. I think that will be your ticket.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:35 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,599 times
there are drawer spring balls available at the hardware store you can check them out there they have steel rods with tiny steel balls attached to it which makes the drawer free to pull and push easily. try buying that and fixing your problem.

Jeanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating