Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 09:40 AM

324 posts, read 836,884 times

Advertisements

I thought I had it all figured out but as with many things, the more I think about it, the more I don't know what to do. I'm hoping you all can help!

I'm finally having new countertops installed and will be tiling the backsplash area to coordinate. Unfortunately, I am completely at a loss as to what color to tile! The new countertops will be Silestone Stellar Night--black with mirror flecks. The appliances are black and the cabinets are sort of a honey color with stainless steel knobs. The floor is honey colored hardwood. The kitchen will be painted a light colonial blue and has off-white trim, pantry doors, etc.

I was originally thinking metallic black glass mosaic tile, but now I'm thinking that would be too much black. I thought of a black/grey/white/stainless tile mosaic mix but worry that might be too busy. I'm also second guessing whether or not I should try to incorporate some brown in order to tie in the floors and cabinets. I thought about just doing an off-white irridenscent but worry that would be boring. At the same time, since the countertops really make a statement, I don't want to overpower them.

I'm probably totally overanalyzing this but as you can probably tell, I could use some help. Whatever the color, I'm definately leaning toward 1x1 glass mosaic tiles versus standard ceramic or travertine. Anyone have any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,689 times
I just ordered sample swatches of this line:

Calliope Series, Recycled Glass Tile, 5/8 x 5/8, Glass Tile Design, Custom Mosaic Design, Kitchen and Bathroom Tile from Hakatai

Hoping they will look good with soapstone. We will also be going with a light blue - which paint are you using?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:07 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
I will only add that as a Designer I see more and more people wanting those glass tile Starry suggested. Always very small squares or rectangle. They are popular and they are expensive.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Your color combination (cabinets, tops, appl's) is a classic setup for tumbled travertine. Just come up with a pattern. One of the most popular patterns right now is the harlequin design. But "I" would second guess the blue- but not knowing the look/color of the connecting rooms, it may be just the ticket.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
I was originally thinking metallic black glass mosaic tile, but now I'm thinking that would be too much black.
That would work. It depends on how dramatic you want to go. I think grey would be a softer choice but still compliments the countertop.

You should use a solid backsplash. You have to be careful since your countertop has a design of mirrors. You don't want a busy pattern right up against it. If your counter was a solid black, I'd say go wild on the backsplash.

Quote:
I thought of a black/grey/white/stainless tile mosaic mix but worry that might be too busy.
It will be too busy. You'll have that pattern with all those colors, the light warm colored cabinets, and black counter. Now imagine adding colonial blue to the mix!

Here's what you would have if you did a stainless backsplash:

Here's what happens if you get a busy pattern:
http://solutionpeoplephilly.com/images/backsplash5.jpg (broken link)

Here's a black backsplash (I couldn't find plain):

http://www.thesexykitchen.com/gallery/image/black-countertop-kitchen-home.jpg (broken link)

I like this:

Quote:
I'm also second guessing whether or not I should try to incorporate some brown in order to tie in the floors and cabinets.
I think you'd do better to change the wall color to tie into the wood. Your floors and cabinets have warm tones. I think warm colors would look best with what you describe.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That would work. It depends on how dramatic you want to go. I think grey would be a softer choice but still compliments the countertop.

You should use a solid backsplash. You have to be careful since your countertop has a design of mirrors. You don't want a busy pattern right up against it. If your counter was a solid black, I'd say go wild on the backsplash.

It will be too busy. You'll have that pattern with all those colors, the light warm colored cabinets, and black counter. Now imagine adding colonial blue to the mix!

Here's what you would have if you did a stainless backsplash:

Here's what happens if you get a busy pattern:

Here's a black backsplash (I couldn't find plain):

I like this:

I think you'd do better to change the wall color to tie into the wood. Your floors and cabinets have warm tones. I think warm colors would look best with what you describe.
Awesome kitchen pictures !!!

That is my kind of kitchen designs. They make white kitchens look like what's out in the kids tree house. I was curious if these were your kitchen pics so I did a properties search and these pics are from all over the place. Whatever the reason you picked them you have real good taste. And I will research the companies these pics were taken from because I like their style and their product.

Honest....it ain't too often I see some one elses work and speak loudly about how nice it is. Chris Peacock and go pound sand too.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Whatever the reason you picked them you have real good taste. And I will research the companies these pics were taken from because I like their style and their product.
I just did google image searches until I found pictures that matched what she was describing.

I personally like the FIRST black backsplash picture and the grey stone backsplace picture at the bottom.

I think her black countertop with the mirrored specks would look good with a shiney solid black backsplash or a matt finish grey like the stone in the picture.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just did google image searches until I found pictures that matched what she was describing.

I personally like the FIRST black backsplash picture and the grey stone backsplace picture at the bottom.

I think her black countertop with the mirrored specks would look good with a shiney solid black backsplash or a matt finish grey like the stone in the picture.
The way to find out where pictures come from that people post is to right click on the picture, click on properties, and it will tell you the web site where it came from. Then you can cut and paste the site in another window. Delete everything after the dot com and you will find where the pic was culled from. Since I liked those pics a lot I looked further to find out where they came from.

Do you know how many people posted pics of white kitchens on here and claimed them to be their own?

I liked that stainless back splash in the first pic with the squares rather then diamonds. That company also has tile murals which are just out of this world. Lookie here: Home page As beautiful as it gets. I may use this company and specify their products to my clients.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:06 AM

324 posts, read 836,884 times
Thanks for all of the input and the AWESOME kitchen pics! That really helps me to get a better idea of how things might come together.

The countertops were installed yesterday and I'll be honest, it's hard to really get too excited since the walls where the old backsplash was are all torn up and it still looks like a war zone. LOL I think it will be good though!

After saying before that I was definitely leaning towards glass mosaic tiles, I have to say I'm now definitely against them. I think I totally ODed on them when I was shopping for ideas! Now that the counters are in I'm thinking stone like in the picture above or maybe a tumbled tile would be better. Part of me would like to do stainless but I think I'd tire of that. I'm more of a casual/rustic kinda person.

I'm still considering the comments about wall color. I was really set on light blue but I can see your point(s). The kitchen doesn't get a lot of natural light as it is so it already feels a little "cool." If painting the walls blue would exacerbate that, maybe a warmer tone would be the way to go. How about sort of a coffee house/mocha brown? My DH is pushing for a terra cotta color but I'm afraid that terra cotta walls and black countertops would make it look like Halloween all year long! Any opinions about green?

If anyone has specific paint color recommendations, I'm all ears. I plan on using Behr paint.

Thanks again!!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
I wouldn't suggest any more brown tones. Your cabinets and your floors are enough. Not sure what your backsplash will be, but I used Behr Restful 400F-4 in my living room which is right next to my kitchen. I have alder cabinets and laminate maple looking floors. The green paint in the living room would look nice in my kitchen too. I don't have a kitchen window so there isn't a lot of natural light in there. The Behr Restful color seems like a sage color with yellow undertones. Without direct light, I really like the color. With direct sunlight, it picks up some yellow hues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating