Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times

Advertisements

Well, we just found out we will be closing on our house next week (yay!) so this means I need to realy get moving on the cabinet issue (no idea how long it takes to order Kraftmaid). Thanks again to everyone who helped me with the kitchen layout! Letting go of the island was huge for me, but I bet I won't regret it.

Anyway, so there are apparently as many cabinet options for Kraftmaid as there are people in China. I'm just wondering what people here got for themselves (could be a different company, just like "I really likes having a such-and-such pot drawer), and what they thought they used, or regretted getting. So far I am considering a bread drawer (just cause right now I keep bread on top of the fridge for lack of a better place to put it), and the drawer that goes under the sink that holds sponges/rags.

I know I'd like some sort of pantry, a place to put pots that actually works (including my large pasta pot), maybe a better place for cookbooks... but regardless, I'd like to hear what people loved/liked/disliked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 08:37 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
#1-
Pull-out shelving in any base cabinet that is 16" or wider.

And a close second is pull-out blind cabinets (they replace fillers) for cookie sheets and/or spices.

If you have 9' or greater ceiling hgt.- 42" wall cabinets.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:32 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,472 times
SES: first q, is there room in the mud/laundry room for a pantry?

In regard to your q to add ons there is a pots/pans drawers under the cooktop in the drawing that I sent to you. The cabinet to the left of the cooktop & the end of the peninsula could have roll out trays in them which would work well for pantry items or pots and pans etc. (which are also in the drawing). Those are the most popular and most efficient ways to storing pots and pans. Roll out trays are less expensive than drawer bases. In my drawing there is a lazy susan in the corner to the right of the sink, that is very handy for colanders, crock pots, and bulk appliances which take up room and are easy access. I would put the sink out in the peninsula to the left, it is easier and less expensive and would cut down on the wasted space, than in the corner. If you put the sink on the peninsula, you can put ROT's or a drawer base where the sink is in the drawing. I would leave the ref. the way it is because if you slide it to the left, it will cut down on the ctop space by the cooktop. Scan the drawing you rec'd from your Lowe's and I can take a look. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
So far I am considering a bread drawer (just cause right now I keep bread on top of the fridge for lack of a better place to put it)
Do they still make those? That's one huge thing I miss about the kitchen in my previous house. I was amazed at how fresh it kept baked goods.

Now I'm with you in keeping the bread etc. on top of the fridge -- in a tin, just like a bread drawer, but I'd do (almost, LOL) anything for a real bread drawer!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
SES: first q, is there room in the mud/laundry room for a pantry?

No, wish there was =/ There's too many doorways - one to the garage, the backyard, the FROG, the powder room, and the kitchen, not enough wallspace for one (still trying to figure out where to put the cat toilet!), and the space isn't very big.

In regard to your q to add ons there is a pots/pans drawers under the cooktop in the drawing that I sent to you. The cabinet to the left of the cooktop & the end of the peninsula could have roll out trays in them which would work well for pantry items or pots and pans etc. (which are also in the drawing). Those are the most popular and most efficient ways to storing pots and pans. Roll out trays are less expensive than drawer bases. In my drawing there is a lazy susan in the corner to the right of the sink, that is very handy for colanders, crock pots, and bulk appliances which take up room and are easy access. I would put the sink out in the peninsula to the left, it is easier and less expensive and would cut down on the wasted space, than in the corner. If you put the sink on the peninsula, you can put ROT's or a drawer base where the sink is in the drawing. I would leave the ref. the way it is because if you slide it to the left, it will cut down on the ctop space by the cooktop. Scan the drawing you rec'd from your Lowe's and I can take a look. Good luck.
I'll have to see what the husband thinks about the sink - he is loving the corner sink, because he wants to use the peninsula for prep work. I'll scan the drawing shortly and email it to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Do they still make those? That's one huge thing I miss about the kitchen in my previous house. I was amazed at how fresh it kept baked goods.

Now I'm with you in keeping the bread etc. on top of the fridge -- in a tin, just like a bread drawer, but I'd do (almost, LOL) anything for a real bread drawer!

As soon as I saw a bread drawer option, it was, "I MUST have that!" lol!
In addition to above, I'm wondering how useful some of the more interesting options I've seen are, such as the slide out vertical pantry, slide out vertical spice racks, and there was one that had a base cabinet drawer option to stack your plates/dessert plates/bowls, as opposed to stacked in an upper cabinet. I'm 99% sure I am getting the double trash can drawer.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Well, we just found out we will be closing on our house next week (yay!) so this means I need to realy get moving on the cabinet issue (no idea how long it takes to order Kraftmaid). Thanks again to everyone who helped me with the kitchen layout! Letting go of the island was huge for me, but I bet I won't regret it.

Anyway, so there are apparently as many cabinet options for Kraftmaid as there are people in China. I'm just wondering what people here got for themselves (could be a different company, just like "I really likes having a such-and-such pot drawer), and what they thought they used, or regretted getting. So far I am considering a bread drawer (just cause right now I keep bread on top of the fridge for lack of a better place to put it), and the drawer that goes under the sink that holds sponges/rags.

I know I'd like some sort of pantry, a place to put pots that actually works (including my large pasta pot), maybe a better place for cookbooks... but regardless, I'd like to hear what people loved/liked/disliked!
The answer to your first question is Kraftmaid takes 6 weeks to order from any dealer except for Home Depot where you will wait from 10 to 14 weeks and pay full list price (up front) which is not a smart thing to do.

I always push pull out trays because they are a dream come true for those of us 80% of Americans with a bad back and the other 20% from Europe. No bending is required to get what's in the bottom and back of the base cabinets. I also suggest to everyone to put the double deep pot and pan drawer box under the range. Sometimes I can keep the top drawer but cut it back about 4" so the gas pipe can clear the back of it. Other times I just lose the top drawer and make the face into a false front.

I never sold a bread box drawer cabinet in 28 years despite it being right there in my catalog. I see it as more of a gimic but they are attractive. Everyone loves lazy susans. There are 3 variations of it with Kraftmaid as well as several other cabinet companies.

There is not as many options as you say. Most are just gimics for those who want something different even if it is not very usefull. I like people to put their money into upgraded crown and raised panel doors rather then flat panel. Raised panel adds about $40 each door to the total.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,185 times
I wish I could help you out on the time. I just went on line and checked our delivery schedule. At our dealership, KraftMaid cabinets are currently running on about a 4 week schedule, and we do not sell anywhere near full list. However, since we are located in NorthWest Ohio, I'm not sure the savings would justify the delivery expense. I did sell a kitchen that went to Tennessee, but the owner lived in Ohio and picked them up before he made a trip down to his new mountain cabin.

Just a few thoughts, Make sure your sink base has butt doors. Makes getting to the plumbing much easier. Roll out trays, consider the high back trays to keep things from falling off the back. Be sure your wastebasket is the one with the baskets mounted at the top where the whole door pulls out (rollers at the top). They are much sturdier than the wire ones that mount at the bottom. Cutlery dividers are very popular in our area. The tiered one basically doubles the storage space as long as it is for the smaller utensils.

Be careful about the pull out and swing out pantry cabinets (except for the roll out trays). Consider if the space is being fully utilized. If you have a full depth cabinet above the refrigerator, or in the pantry and oven cabinets, consider roll out trays at the upper levels too. They don't have to be just in base cabinets and make getting to the back easier.

Give some careful thought to your storage needs. I have a slight difference in philosophy than desertsun41. If price is no object, go for the fancier trims, if that is your wish. We don't work on a percentage commission at our dealership, it's straight salary, and our main focus is to get a nice looking result at the best price possible, giving the client what they need. Consequently, we don't push the more expensive trims unless we detect that is what the client wants. It depends on how much you want to put in the decorative stuff.

Best wishes, and enjoy your new kitchen ... from start to finish.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,656 times
Starry, the two things that I 100% recommend are the soft close doors and the pull-outs in the base cabinets.

Other than that, I don't know because I have idea of what you're going for as far as style and everything. KraftMaid usually takes about 4 to 5 weeks for delivery, or it did when I was in the business. If you can, post or message me the floorplan. Also, have you chosen your appliances yet? And what style cabinets are you planning to order. I still have my Kraftmaid materials, so I will try to be as much help as I can.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 AM

Thank you for all the replies!

desertsun41 (and others): Good point about the pullout drawers. As for the double deep pot and pan drawer, I found these options on the kraftmaid site:

Base Pot and Pan Organizer - Harmony Storage Solutions by KraftMaid Cabinetry
Base Cookware Storage Rollout - Harmony Storage Solutions by KraftMaid Cabinetry
Deep Roll-Out Trays - Harmony Storage Solutions by KraftMaid Cabinetry
Base Pots and Pans Cabinet - Harmony Storage Solutions by KraftMaid Cabinetry
Roll-Out Trays - Harmony Storage Solutions by KraftMaid Cabinetry
Deep Roll-Out Trays - Harmony Storage Solutions by KraftMaid Cabinetry

rrtechno:
We are considering this waste basket option, is this what you are referring to? Contempo Floor Mount Wastebasket Cabinet - Harmony Storage Solutions by KraftMaid Cabinetry
Also, when you mean the "backed" pullout, do you mean this?
http://www.kraftmaid.com/storage/index.cfm?navigationid=44X00a&harmonyid=213

In terms of trims, I'm not looking to have an ostentatious kitchen - I want functional. We cook, and cook often. We don't have modern ceiling heights - 8 foot - so very tall cabinets aren't going to work for us - a nice simple trim would be nice, we chose cabinets in briarwood maple beaded in dove white.

pennquaker09: I believe Kraftmaid has soft-close doors as standard (thankfully!). It seems like a lot of people are suggesting the pullouts as well, so that would be something we will go for. In terms of appliances - we are going with full electrolux, and as you can see in the layout below (which is NOT done, I love the layout with the peninsula, but I want more than the standard looking cabinets, as discussed above) we are going with a stainless simple hood, 36" electric range (sigh, wish the house had gas), double wall oven, microwave, french door counter depth refrigerator, and dishwasher. I can find the model numbers for dimensions as well.

Thanks again everyone, both her and people who contacted me in DMs You're helping take the edge off my stress!

The layout and some renderings:

I am not sure about the lithe ledge to the right of the door in the picture directly above, but if something useful could go there, sounds good to me. Also wish I could find a spot for a wine rack and maybe wine glass storage, but they aren't huge priorities. I do think I may be going with a bottom horizontal drawer design for plates, but not sure - I see a picture of it in the idea book, but not online ><

Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The answer to your first question is Kraftmaid takes 6 weeks to order from any dealer except for Home Depot where you will wait from 10 to 14 weeks and pay full list price (up front) which is not a smart thing to do.
REALLY?!?!? Thanks for the tip.

Why does it take longer to go through Home Depot?

How can I locate a more independent type dealer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating