Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:07 PM

326 posts, read 764,941 times

Advertisements

I need to do some home improvement projects this summer - hardwood floors, bath tiles and cabinets, etc.

Could anyone here please share some experiences about Direct Buy?

Thank you very much for anything suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 05:35 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
You been around long enough to know how to use the search function. I just checked and there are over 7000 answers to your question. 6900 say Direct Buy sucks.

If you dont believe us then google Direct Buy complaints as your key words and you will find hits in the 6 figure range.

You are in Austin. Whataya need and I can send you to the proper places to shop.

By the way. If you wish to give some 2nd rate rapist company $6000 for the right to get raped then I beg of you to instead donate that $6000 to your local Humane Society SPCA and I will sell you what you want at a greater discount then those clowns.

In very short time the Consumer watchdog groups will have them shut down.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You been around long enough to know how to use the search function. I just checked and there are over 7000 answers to your question. 6900 say Direct Buy sucks.

If you dont believe us then google Direct Buy complaints as your key words and you will find hits in the 6 figure range.

You are in Austin. Whataya need and I can send you to the proper places to shop.

By the way. If you wish to give some 2nd rate rapist company $6000 for the right to get raped then I beg of you to instead donate that $6000 to your local Humane Society SPCA and I will sell you what you want at a greater discount then those clowns.

In very short time the Consumer watchdog groups will have them shut down.
Oh! Thank you so much for the info. I should have thought about searching threads.

They (Direct Buy) made it sound pretty good, and the membership fees are close to $7000 now for the first 2 years.

We need to need some hardwood floors and supplies for kitchen and bath remodels. My local Austinites have posted some good suggestions for tops (granite) and hardwood flooring (I think I remember reading something about it). I'll just need to do a search on that. But I would love to hear your recommendations if you don't mind.

Thanks again.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:44 PM

Go try out Seconds and Surplus north of Dallas. They have 2 locations, one is down town, one north. I dont know how far North Dallas is from you but I suspect the couple hour drive will be worth it to you. They have a bit of everything. Before you buy cabinets just do a search of posts by my name in the HOME and INTERIOR DESIGN forums for some pro tips.

Any questions.....I am happy to answer.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Go try out Seconds and Surplus north of Dallas. They have 2 locations, one is down town, one north. I dont know how far North Dallas is from you but I suspect the couple hour drive will be worth it to you. They have a bit of everything. Before you buy cabinets just do a search of posts by my name in the HOME and INTERIOR DESIGN forums for some pro tips.

Any questions.....I am happy to answer.
Thank you so much! I'm 4 hours away, but I'd look to see if they have things that worth the drive.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:10 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,349,484 times
Don't join Direct Buy, it is a major rip off.

And custom cabinetry is often not as expensive as people think. Basically, jut do a lot of research/smart shopping and you won't spend a fortune. However, the best deals are usually recieved by hiring a designer (aka member of "the trade").

Old 05-26-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Don't join Direct Buy, it is a major rip off.

And custom cabinetry is often not as expensive as people think. Basically, jut do a lot of research/smart shopping and you won't spend a fortune. However, the best deals are usually recieved by hiring a designer (aka member of "the trade").
Thanks for sharing the info. Fortunately, we only wasted a couple of hours with DB.

Do you happen to know how the designers normally charge for their work? I really could use one (have kitchen and bath renovations planned), but worried about paying too much for nothing in the end - have heard too many bad stories I guess.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
Thanks for sharing the info. Fortunately, we only wasted a couple of hours with DB.

Do you happen to know how the designers normally charge for their work? I really could use one (have kitchen and bath renovations planned), but worried about paying too much for nothing in the end - have heard too many bad stories I guess.
Direct Buy let you walk out the door??????? After they had you for 2 hours??????? Did you break out of the hand cuffs? Did you have a handcuff key hidden under your toungue? Did you do your best Running Back ram into the door to escape?

I'm only half kidding. There have been wrongful detainment charges filed against Direct Buy. They will not let you leave. They will actually grab people and sit them back down.

Kitchen Designers generally will do one of 2 things. They will just charge a fixed fee you both agree on and they will coordinate all the trades for you. More common is charging you a percentage of the entire job such as 10% to design and run the show.

If you are not wealthy, most kitchen design showrooms offer free design service. Yet others like the big box stores charge $100 for the design but credit you bac if you buy. They will give you the drawing but with no information on it because they dont want you to shop with their plan after they did all the work.

Personally I give people my drawings for free with all the box sizes on it. If one truely knows they offer the best price then they should have no worries giving the drawing with all the box sizes on it. I tell people to go ahead and use my plan to shop. I know they will be back because I offer 50% off LIST/MSRP/RETAIL while most everyone else charges full list price. Of course if you buy cabinets from Sears they charge 25% over list price.

If you need any further information or advice on the best kitchen and bath professionals in the world you can find it here: National Kitchen & Bath Association You can also search professionals in your area. There are many good designers who are not members of the NKBA but you should really make sure they are CKD or AKBD but the elite among us will be CMKBD (certified master kitchen and bath designers)

Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Direct Buy let you walk out the door??????? After they had you for 2 hours??????? Did you break out of the hand cuffs? Did you have a handcuff key hidden under your toungue? Did you do your best Running Back ram into the door to escape?

I'm only half kidding. There have been wrongful detainment charges filed against Direct Buy. They will not let you leave. They will actually grab people and sit them back down.

Kitchen Designers generally will do one of 2 things. They will just charge a fixed fee you both agree on and they will coordinate all the trades for you. More common is charging you a percentage of the entire job such as 10% to design and run the show.

If you are not wealthy, most kitchen design showrooms offer free design service. Yet others like the big box stores charge $100 for the design but credit you bac if you buy. They will give you the drawing but with no information on it because they dont want you to shop with their plan after they did all the work.

Personally I give people my drawings for free with all the box sizes on it. If one truely knows they offer the best price then they should have no worries giving the drawing with all the box sizes on it. I tell people to go ahead and use my plan to shop. I know they will be back because I offer 50% off LIST/MSRP/RETAIL while most everyone else charges full list price. Of course if you buy cabinets from Sears they charge 25% over list price.

If you need any further information or advice on the best kitchen and bath professionals in the world you can find it here: National Kitchen & Bath Association You can also search professionals in your area. There are many good designers who are not members of the NKBA but you should really make sure they are CKD or AKBD but the elite among us will be CMKBD (certified master kitchen and bath designers)
Great info!! Thank you so much.

I'm on a budget for the house that needs kitchen and bath work. The house was built in the 50s and still has the original everything. We will have to sell the house in a couple of years and want to sell for a reasonable price (due to the current economy, it already worth less than we paid for a few years back).

I liked the Floor and Decor when we visited yesterday. I'll call them to see if they offer the design for $100. I'll also try to find local stores that offer the service for a fee.

The sales people at our local Direct Buy were not that bad. Though, they did claim that they "don't charge additional or make money from ordering" which is untrue according to their customers (I googled some of their reviews after you directed me to the search ). We are just so glad that we didn't sign anything with them!!!

Thanks again.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
My feeling is that any company which has to resort to high pressure, you must commit now, sales practices cannot be very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating