Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:57 AM

380 posts, read 2,350,978 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a sofa for our small living room. We've only started looking but are having a hard time finding what we need/like. It needs to be small, loveseat size (70" or less), leather, with narrow arms and overall not bulky feeling. We (well, mostly I) love this sofa from Ethan Allen, especially with the optional buttons (viewable when you scroll thru the pics): ethanallen.com - Ethan Allen | furniture | interior design | monterey sofa (two cushion)

Unfortunately, the loveseat size starts at $2,500 for the leather fabrics. Macy's has something similar: Milan Love Seat - Sofas & Sectionals - furniture - Macy's. It's $1,800 (but will probably go on sale soon), but IMO not as cute and we'd have to get it in pearl (I don't want a dark color) which I'd like to avoid with small kids and a dog. It also doesn't feel as well made as the Ethan Allen sofa.

Is Ethan Allen furniture worth the price? Are there other stores/brands you can recommend?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:32 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
ask about the construction of both sofas. the ethan looks more stylish but the macy's has the same feel. ask about the consturction on both. is the frame kiln dried, are the corners blocked and screwed. what is the density of the cushions? if you buy the leather is the entire sofa leather or are the sides and back a leather match. the ethan sofa looks more stylish but the macy's is has the same feeling for sure. somethines just because one might be better than the other you will be sick of either couch 5 or six years from now. would you worry about the kids all over the more expensive one? you might find construction wise they are not all that different. kinda like comparing a nicely made dress with one of good average quality. you may also look at a company called rowe, they have a web site and many styles like the two you like. I don't think they do leather but they are a pretty decent line, made well enough and not too expensive

Old 07-20-2009, 04:59 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
Before making a large purchase from a store or business, I always do a google search under the name of the store and then add "consumer complaints"......you will be surprised by what you find.

As to construction of a sofa - here are general guidelines:

When you look through a brochure or walk through a showroom, you see sofas and armchairs in their finished state, their frames and upholstery hidden beneath attractive fabric covers. What goes on underneath the covers is just as important as their surface appearance, though, so don't be afraid to ask how particular models are made when making your choice. Upholstered furniture is generally made up of four parts: the frame, suspension, filling, and covering.

Frame

Traditional, fully covered furniture has a strong and springy hardwood frame - often in beechwood - joined by dowels, screws, and glue. Modern frames may use staples rather than dowels. Cheaper softwood frames do exist, but they have to be solidly built to take the weight. On sofas and chairs where part or all of the frame is on show - known as show-wood - the frame is usually a hardwood because softwood dents too easily. Metal and plastic frames are sometimes used, but are not as hardwearing.

Suspension

The suspension is what makes the sofa or armchair comfortable. Traditionally, sofas had large coil springs fastened to a webbing support, but these have largely been replaced by flat zigzag springs, used along with rubber webbing or diaphragms. In some designs rubber webbing completely replaces the springs, while some inexpensive types just have blocks of foam laid on a solid chipboard base.

Filling

Top-quality furniture uses natural fillings such as horsehair and wool, but the majority of sofas are filled with foam. Regulations insist that fireproof foam be used, so check that this is the case. Make sure that the foam is high density, as low-grade foam does not hold its shape as well. Cushions may also be stuffed with feathers. Make sure these cushions are channeled so the feathers do not settle at the bottom. Plumping feather cushions every now and then ensures that they always look their best.

Quality Checklist

Regardless of the cost, make sure the furniture is well made. There are certain points to look out for:

If the frame is visible, check for knots, splits, and cracks in the wood and that the joints are well made.

Look underneath the sofa or chair for any signs of poor workmanship in the parts that don't show.

Feel the padding. You shouldn't be able to feel the springs through the fabric, or the frame through the seat, back, or arms. On foam sofas, look for dome-shaped seats, as foam settles with use.

Pull the arms and back to see how secure they are. They shouldn't have too much give.

After you get up, check whether the seat resumes its shape quickly. Sagging seats worsen over time.

Loose cushions should be reversible to even out wear, and loose covers should have generous seam allowances so they won't pull apart in the wash.

Check the finish. Loose threads, poor-quality zippers, and rough edges are typical indications of poor manufacture.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:33 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
Cattknap has given you some good advice. It appears that you need townhouse-sized furniture and there are several companies that have furniture designed for that (I live in a large home but still need that size for my family room). In our area, we have Bassetts and Raymour and Flanigan. I have gotten very high quality furniture from them. I have looked at EA, but I just don't think that it's worth the money to me. I want to be able to make furniture changes and not worry about how much something costs; however, I do want comfortable and quality. If you have The Dump in your area, they always have a nice selection of sofas and especially leather. With kids and a dog, you might find that microfiber would work well for you. Sometimes you can find that at Sam's or Costco if color is not that important (they usually carry the browns, taupes, and those type of neutrals).

Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I have a friend that has made custom furniture for about 30 years. he says much of teh Ethan Allen furniture is very over poriuce considering the wood used and the fact that you can get the same furniture qaulity at much cheaper prices.Much of it is made overseas by cheap labor to the design of ehtan allen the same as alot of furnture now days in same plants.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:18 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
Too bad you didn't live closer to North Carolina where the furniture outlets are. You can buy that $2200 pece for $1000. Many people rent trucks and travel to NC to make major furniture purchases and feel it's worth renting that truck.

The hell hole Las Vegas is trying to take over the furniture outlet capital from NC but failing miserably as that city fails in everything they do. As of now all the outlets are only open to Interior Designers and the trades.

Whatever you do, DO NOT be tempted to buy that Chinese junk where you can furnish your entire house for $999.00. You and your kids will get Asthma at best and cancer at worse. Google that one.

Ethan Allen is very high quality but the markup is very high. Search other simular brands of AMERICAN made products. And Catnap is right about googling brands and complaints.

AND DO NOT be tempted to buy from those big trucks that park on the corner one weekend morning with unbelievable prices. It is all Chinese formaldahyde and sulfer laden junk.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:55 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,656 times
I like Ethan Allen, but I think thatthe merchandise is kind of overpriced. What's your budget?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:50 AM

Wow, thank you everyone for your help! I'm learning a lot, though still have much to learn. Thanks for walking me through this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
is the frame kiln dried, are the corners blocked and screwed. what is the density of the cushions? if you buy the leather is the entire sofa leather or are the sides and back a leather match.
I'll have to ask about the construction of the Macy's sofa, but the EA site says: Frame is made of "7-ply engineered hardwood panels" that are glued and stapled, with "mortise and tenon" joints that are glued. I'm guessing EA would've mentioned it was "kiln-dried" if it were? And I'm (again) guessing solid hardwood would be better than engineered?

Website goes on to say the heavy gauge coil spring unit coils are linked together and attached to a heavy gauge border. Individualized coil seating units function independently and each spring is oven tempered. Cushions have dense polyurethane foam core laminated top and bottom with a layer of soft foam and wrapped with polyester fiber, encased in a non-woven ticking. Loose back pillows are filled with polyester fiber and non-woven ticking, and have horizontal channels to minimize shifting.

When you ask about the cushion density, is there some standard measure used in the industry I should ask about, or am I just testing what it feels like under the butt? Both felt pretty firm to me, and kept their shape well after getting up/down repeatedly. I'll have to confirm the leather goes all the way around.

Quote:
somethines just because one might be better than the other you will be sick of either couch 5 or six years from now. would you worry about the kids all over the more expensive one?
I'm pretty sure I'll like the style for 5-10 years down `cause I've loved that style at least the last 20 years and I'm pretty boring/non-trendy. Yeah, I'd worry about kids and dogs all over the more expensive one, but they're both expensive to me so I guess I'd be willing to pay more if the EA one has a better chance of surviving the kids/dog, kwim?

Quote:
you may also look at a company called rowe, they have a web site and many styles like the two you like. I don't think they do leather but they are a pretty decent line, made well enough and not too expensive
I checked the Rowe site and do like their styles. They're carried by a few local stores so I'll check them out. Thank you so much!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:13 AM

Cattknap, thank you so much for the sofa buying primer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Before making a large purchase from a store or business, I always do a google search under the name of the store and then add "consumer complaints"......you will be surprised by what you find.
You know, I did the google search and every company seems to have mounds of complaints. I was hoping there were some brands that are generally regarded as reliable companies w/ well-made products (brands I wouldn't know much of since I'm barely graduating from the world of Ikea ).

Quote:
Traditional, fully covered furniture has a strong and springy hardwood frame - often in beechwood - joined by dowels, screws, and glue. Modern frames may use staples rather than dowels.
Is the "mortise and tenon" joint used by EA as good as the dowel joints? Is it ok that they're just glued together, and not screwed then glued? And how do I know what kind of wood or joints are used? I'm not sure the Macy's salespeople I've met know that much about their products. Is it safe to assume the more well-made furniture will say on their tags or other written materials if they use these better woods/joints?

Quote:
The suspension is what makes the sofa or armchair comfortable. Traditionally, sofas had large coil springs fastened to a webbing support, but these have largely been replaced by flat zigzag springs, used along with rubber webbing or diaphragms. In some designs rubber webbing completely replaces the springs, while some inexpensive types just have blocks of foam laid on a solid chipboard base.
Again, would the better manufacturers indicate they use coil springs rather than zigzag springs? And should the zigzag spring and rubber webbing be avoided entirely, or just expect to pay less for those?

Quote:
Regulations insist that fireproof foam be used, so check that this is the case. Make sure that the foam is high density, as low-grade foam does not hold its shape as well.
How can you tell if fireproof foam is used -- is there a tag? And how do you know if the foam is high-density? Again, is there some industry standard I can ask about?

Thanks again for all your help!!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
In our area, we have Bassetts and Raymour and Flanigan. I have gotten very high quality furniture from them. I have looked at EA, but I just don't think that it's worth the money to me. I want to be able to make furniture changes and not worry about how much something costs; however, I do want comfortable and quality. If you have The Dump in your area, they always have a nice selection of sofas and especially leather. With kids and a dog, you might find that microfiber would work well for you. Sometimes you can find that at Sam's or Costco if color is not that important (they usually carry the browns, taupes, and those type of neutrals).
Thanks so much for the tips! We don't have Raymour and Flanigan or The Dump (love the name!), but looks like there's a Bassetts store nearby I can check out. I like microfiber but I don't think it could withstand the dog smell. Our current (non-leather) couch has a slipcover that I'm constantly washing (then Febreeze-ing the couch) because it smells like our dog (and she smells like that within 2 days of a bath!). We have a leather sectional in the family room that doesn't smell no matter how long she's been on it and is easy to keep clean despite her crazy shedding tendencies.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. Thanks again for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating