Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:04 PM

140 posts, read 834,724 times

Advertisements

Actually I'm looking for something large for our family room. Its a huge space without many windows. We also have a 50" plasma TV (that stand holds up to a 60") and dont want to mount it to the wall. I also need the storage for books, video games, CD, DVDs, etc.. I'm looking for something large to help take up some of the massive wall space. But I am worried that that one would define the style for the whole room that could not be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 05:12 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
IMO brown leather would not look good with the stark white of that entertainment center.

I would keep looking for better options and styles especially for that price.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 PM

I'm thinking of just passing on this one and keep looking. Thanks everyone. :-)

Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Good decision. That's not an entertainment center for a room with brown leather furniture.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:56 PM

Hopes - I dont have ANY furniture in that room at all, have not painted or anything yet. I just want to get a brown leather sectional thats why I was asking. :-)

Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
And I validated that you made the right decision to pass up that entertainment center.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
I would look at stuff from companies that specialize like Salamander Designs, which is one of the popular A/V furniture companies. Even if you don't buy their stuff, I think the looks from these companies are more interesting to learn from.

Salamander Designs Custom Modular Home Entertainment Furniture
Index*-*Bello
Sanus Systems: Flat Panel TV Mount, AV Furniture, Speaker Stand Leader
TV Stands, Entertainment Centers, Corner TV Stands, Speaker Stands, TV Carts & Audio Racks Furniture

Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
$1000 for clearance but only if it's solid wood. I think these large entertainment centers are going to be outdated rather quickly because technology is going to get smaller.

California has already made a law about electrical consumption---which will make the larger TV's obsolete. California has a habit of starting trends.

Dont' be surprised if manufacturers start designing electronics to meet the most stringent laws in the country---regardless of whatever laws are in your country.

re: the entertainment center:

Sorry, to me it is ugly, I do not like it. It seems to have to many things going on and is too big. I think they are outdated anyway.

slightly off topic, but regarding california and their energy, i was in palm springs this past summer for 17 days, i did not see one house with a clothesline????? 117 degrees would dry clothes in 6 minutes, yet they would rather use the dryer, at 117 degrees.
amazing

Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
re: the entertainment center:

Sorry, to me it is ugly, I do not like it. It seems to have to many things going on and is too big. I think they are outdated anyway.

slightly off topic, but regarding california and their energy, i was in palm springs this past summer for 17 days, i did not see one house with a clothesline????? 117 degrees would dry clothes in 6 minutes, yet they would rather use the dryer, at 117 degrees.
amazing
Hanging clothes on a line would require extra work, I don't think Californians like that. They definitely like their crazy save-the-whales laws though, when I lived in San Francisco we were not allowed to use our fireplace on Thanksgiving or Christmas day. 'spare the air alert' The gestapo were going door to door handing out tickets to houses with smoke coming out of the chimney.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:11 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Manwaring View Post
We have an Entertainment Center that has no dings or chips and is 100% solid oak and very beautiful! It looks similar to the one you love, only it has some additional upgrades and beautiful moldings. We just found out we are moving and have to sell ours. We aren't even asking $2,000. for ours. I think you should look around before you buy something that isn't solid wood and more expensive...

Good Luck!

Kathy
This thread is almost 3 yrs old!!
And it's not part of the classified section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating