Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 PM

31 posts, read 87,264 times

Advertisements

I recently took my 2007 Honda Civic 2-door to the dealership for a 90k service. Afterwords, I was advised that the power steering pump needs to be 'resealed'.

I decided it would be best to first do a price comparison. The other Honda dealerships I called quoted me a similar price to the one I was already quoted. I called several independent auto repair shops and the best price quoted was less than half that of the Honda dealerships. One independent repair shop even offered to replace the power steering pump for a price comparable to 'resealing' it at the dealerships.

Now, I would obviously be a fool to have the work done at the dealership when an independent repair shop is 50% cheaper. So that is the route in which I am leaning. However, I am intrigued by the offer to get the pump replaced. I am not auto repair savvy; as a result, does the pump need to be replaced? Or is it best to go the 'reseal' route with the understanding that the power steering pump will remain in working order for the foreseeable future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Did you ask another shop if it really needed to be done? That's what I would do first, unless there are obvious problems with the steering that you've noticed. There are apparently telltale signs of a seal problem that you can see under the hood by observing the fluid reservoir, etc.

I have 217k on my power steering pump without doing such a thing. Admittedly it's older (2000) but it is a Honda product. Heck I even just had all the belts replaced at the dealer and they didn't try to get me to do such a thing. It's hard not to suspect that your dealer is suggesting a service of marginal benefit. (There's a reason some people call it the stealership.) But I suppose it could be something that happens more often to the newer units, or that you just had some bad luck with yours.

Replace vs reseal probably would not have any particular benefit. Unless you spec a brand new one from Honda the replacement will be a rebuilt unit anyway. Apparently these units are pretty easy to reseal; otherwise it would be more common to replace the whole pump.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:25 PM

31 posts, read 87,264 times
I just double checked the power steering fluid reservoir and the fluid level looks perfectly fine. Also note that I had the 90k service done over 6 weeks ago- so you would think if there was truly a leak the levels would be low by now. I have not even noticed any condensation on the garage floor that would indicate any such leak. And since the car steers without flaw, it appears as if I am being 'played' by the dealership.

Still, I am going to follow your suggestion and make a few more calls to verify if the repair even needs to be done. Thanks for the smart advise.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Or do nothing and see how bad the leak gets..... Wipe it clean and see if it takes another 90k miles to get "wet" again.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:55 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,152 times
Its probably just crazy preventive maintenance. As there could be known problems with those pumps.

With dealerships. They usually would rebuild the pump, or replace it.

With others, they might just throw some additive in there and clean it off.

If its not squealing, humming or leaking...its fine

Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
Son, Go get a bottle of the Lucus power steering stop leak/tune up in a can and put it in. Then consider it fixed.....cost about 12 bucks..

Old 07-19-2013, 08:13 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
So far, I have not read that the pump is leaking. If it is not leaking, why "re-seal" it?

Old 07-19-2013, 08:49 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
So far, I have not read that the pump is leaking. If it is not leaking, why "re-seal" it?
Thank you. He must have the same mechanic that advised me I needed rear brakes on my '02 F-150 when I brought it in for the gas tank strap recall. They lasted another 35,000 miles.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From Mars View Post
I recently took my 2007 Honda Civic 2-door to the dealership for a 90k service. Afterwords, I was advised that the power steering pump needs to be 'resealed'.

I decided it would be best to first do a price comparison. The other Honda dealerships I called quoted me a similar price to the one I was already quoted. I called several independent auto repair shops and the best price quoted was less than half that of the Honda dealerships. One independent repair shop even offered to replace the power steering pump for a price comparable to 'resealing' it at the dealerships.

Now, I would obviously be a fool to have the work done at the dealership when an independent repair shop is 50% cheaper. So that is the route in which I am leaning. However, I am intrigued by the offer to get the pump replaced. I am not auto repair savvy; as a result, does the pump need to be replaced? Or is it best to go the 'reseal' route with the understanding that the power steering pump will remain in working order for the foreseeable future?
Seals rarely go out on power steering pumps - and when they do, it's obvious. You lose your fluid.

Chances are these guys are just trying to lie their way into getting you to pay for unneeded repairs.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:29 PM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Milking the customer. My in-law, as he has arms growing out of his ars, not his shoulders, where it comes to cars (being carpet installer though) simply takes a lengthy and many hundreds of dollars worth "to do list" to me, I review it, check on what they slapped onto it, and either do it myself, or tell him not to worry about it. He goes to Toyota dealership for routine maintenance, they hit him with such a list every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura