Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 09:41 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Or this:
Wheego Electric Cars 2010 Whip

They are on my way to work in Seattle.
That's pretty neat. My wife has just about a mile to work, but she usually has things to carry (laptop, student notebooks, etc), so a bicycle isn't practical. We are thinking about a scooter, but this car is an interesting option.

As I look. I don't see any in the DC/NoVA area.

Last edited by tgbwc; 08-11-2014 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:58 AM

359 posts, read 779,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
I am looking for a new car and I have narrowed my choices down to three cars. A 2014 Honda Accord EX-L 4 cylinder, a 2014 Accord Hybrid, or a 2015 Subaru Legacy. I only like Japanese cars so after looking at all the automakers these are the only ones I will consider. I live in Knoxville, Tennessee and I'm thankful that I have a short commute, it's only 2.3 miles each way, so less than 5 miles daily. The commute is 100% city driving.

I was reading about the Accord Hybrid and read that it has amazing MPG but for a short commute like mine, would a hybrid car make sense? Other than the 4.6 mile commute 5 times a week, I will not be taking any long road trips like let's says 500 miles, so the car will have low miles for a long time. I will plan on keeping this car for 10 years and then trading it in. I was doing some calculations and I would be putting 1,104 miles a year on just going to work alone, so that is nothing. I was looking at the price of the Accord Ex-L and the Accord Hybrid and the price difference is not that much, so I am thinking of going for the hybrid model. The Hybrid touring is $34,000, which is the top of the line hybrid model.

Thoughts? Also, for people that have the 2014 Accord 4 cylinder and hybrid, how many miles do you get per full tank of gas? No, I do not want to know MPG, I want to know how many miles per gallon. Also I would like to know from people who have 2015 Subaru Legacys and Outbacks as well. I really like the Legacy (I test drove the premium model, great handling) but afraid the gas mileage is not going to be that great because it's AWD and my commute is 100% city driving.

I am heavily leaning towards the Accord hybrid, followed by the Accord 4 cylinder, then the Legacy. Thanks for the help in advance.
So,

5 miles a day

~ 25 miles a week

~ Approx 110 miles a month

~ approx 1300 miles a Year.

Your engine won't even warm up by the time you reach destination. poor car. lol.

Also what are you talking about great handling? 2.3 miles commute - don;t talk abt handling. haha.

Don;t buy a new car. Buy a used car (a couple years used) and sell it after putting 10k miles in 10 yrs.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:32 PM

47 posts, read 228,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

Also, what is your rationale for only a Japanese make, probably built in the USA?
I have had bad experiences with American cars and I will not buy anything but Japanese cars. I do not like Toyotas so that leaves Nissans, Hondas and Subarus. Hondas and Subarus are my favorite car brands. Yes, I know that at least the Subaru Legacy is built in Indiana.

Now it's down to the Accord EX-L 4 cylinder vs the Subaru Legacy 2.5 Limited CVT.

Last edited by JackBauer24; 08-11-2014 at 04:05 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 PM

403 posts, read 619,770 times
How about a bike?

Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 PM

94 posts, read 287,957 times
2.3 miles? I'm jealous. Why not a moped? You could find a used Vespa on craigslist for $2500-3000. 100 mpg and you'll be at work in maybe 5 minutes.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:49 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
For a 5 mile commute I would buy the lowest initial cost, least complex vehicle. A few MPG, performance, and even comfort does not mean much.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:59 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but we have a similar situation and I'm following along as I hate to start a new thread on basically the same topic.

OP, do you currently have a car? Are you replacing one?

As I mentioned earlier, my wife commutes just about a mile. My drive is 1.5 miles. We have an '07 Mustang that has had only had about 12k miles put on it since April of '09 (that's when we moved closer to where we work). She has tried to walk, but ends up having to carry too much to and fro. I don't think it's good to be driving a car that short of a distance, so we are think of something else for the short trips. ukrkoz's post got us thinking about electric.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post
So,

5 miles a day

~ 25 miles a week

~ Approx 110 miles a month

~ approx 1300 miles a Year.

Your engine won't even warm up by the time you reach destination. poor car. lol.

Also what are you talking about great handling? 2.3 miles commute - don;t talk abt handling. haha.

Don;t buy a new car. Buy a used car (a couple years used) and sell it after putting 10k miles in 10 yrs.
The bold part made me laugh. lol. I took the Subaru Legacy for a test drive the other day (the new 2015 redesigned) and I was very impressed. It is a great car and good handling. I see your point about buying a used car. Thanks for your input.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but we have a similar situation and I'm following along as I hate to start a new thread on basically the same topic.

OP, do you currently have a car? Are you replacing one?

I have a 1996 Honda Accord with 264,000 miles. It's just getting way too old. My mother says that I should keep it for a few more years (the transmission and engine are in great shape, no problems whatsoever) but I just want a newer ride. I just want something more modern.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
I have a 1996 Honda Accord with 264,000 miles. It's just getting way too old. My mother says that I should keep it for a few more years (the transmission and engine are in great shape, no problems whatsoever) but I just want a newer ride. I just want something more modern.
Ok. That makes sense. My difference is I don't want to get rid of what we have, but I wonder how "bad" it is driving the car such short distances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura