Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 02:35 PM

16 posts, read 44,680 times

Advertisements

I am considering purchasing a used Honda Fit as my next car. My main goal is to simplify my life, save money and gas. I have owned in the past
Honda Civic Hatchback (80's)
Honda Civic coupe (90's)
Lexus SC300 (90's)
and I currently own a Lexus RX 300 (2000)
used to also driving a mini van, a honda prelude and a lexus ES300.

With that said, I realize I am down grading from my luxury brand. Oh, I so want to buy a new one! The lexus are so wonderful - But I want to live simpler and pay less so that I can eventually go down to working part time so that I can spend more time with my daughter while she is little. Sacrifice is good.

I'm tired of the all consuming American lifestyle of bigger bigger bigger while all I do is continue to pay more more more and work more more more. I'm over it already.

I've read nothing short of pretty fantastic reviews on the FIT. I love the idea of going back to a hatchback, I know my honda's ran GREAT and FOREVER.

Any opinions or thoughts? Is the 2007 really all that different from the 2010 when they changed a few things?

Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 02:48 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
My father owned a first generation Fit. I have driven it. The only reason he doesn't have it is because he needed a truck. He used his Fit like a truck sometimes - because it holds so much. His Fit carried a lot of Home Depot purchases home.

It was a very good subcompact car. I thought it handled well and had enough power to meet needs. It is fun to drive though it is not exactly quick. It was not "cheap" inside though it will not have the premium feel of your RX.

Fuel economy is very good - though I am one of the people that thinks it should be better considering its size and engine size. Still it is economical. Very reliable too. A good choice for what you want.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,188,113 times
I'd get a 2009 or 2010 Fit - the Fit was redesigned and improved for 2009, and shouldn't be too expensive either - an '09 will probably run you under or about $10,000.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,853,327 times
I rode in one once and the back seat was the worse I have ever been in. Incredibly uncomfortable....

Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,188,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
I rode in one once and the back seat was the worse I have ever been in. Incredibly uncomfortable....
I rode in one on 12/22/2011, 6 feet tall, and the back seat was fine for me.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
The Fit is a great small car, but would it be too small for your needs as your daughter grows? Have you considered something along the lines of an Acura TSX? You can get a four-cylinder that is not bad in terms of fuel consumption and the features that you are used to with the Lexus. A TSX with the four may average about 4-5 less MPG combined than a Fit, but it is a larger vehicle with more room, and a bit safer, IMO, especially if you need to drive on the highway, etc. I am not discounting the Fit at all, since I think it's a great car, but you may be able to find a good value in a TSX or even a four-cylinder Accord that would not be too much more expensive than the Fit, more like what you are used to with the Lexus, and would be able to have a bit more room for a growing family.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-14-2013, 06:40 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
I see LOTS of used Honda Fits, 2010s, 2011s and 2012s for sale but their prices are always pretty high, very close to what a new one would go for. And they're virtually all Fit Sports. So it seems like buyers keep the base Fits but don't seem to want to keep the Sport.
Maybe they don't have the power the owners want or the sporty appeal. The Sport doens't seem to offer much in the way of driving and handling improvement.
Another curio. I keep reading how much improved the Chevy Sonic is over the older Aveo but they look dang similar. I'm sure its much improved but if the Aveo was steeply discounted it might be worth a look.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I see LOTS of used Honda Fits, 2010s, 2011s and 2012s for sale but their prices are always pretty high, very close to what a new one would go for. And they're virtually all Fit Sports. So it seems like buyers keep the base Fits but don't seem to want to keep the Sport.
Maybe they don't have the power the owners want or the sporty appeal. The Sport doens't seem to offer much in the way of driving and handling improvement.
Another curio. I keep reading how much improved the Chevy Sonic is over the older Aveo but they look dang similar. I'm sure its much improved but if the Aveo was steeply discounted it might be worth a look.

The Aveo is a horrible cheap car. One of the worst examples of what GM thought was a small car. Do not waste your money. The Sonic is so much better, but unproven.

I am not sure that the reason you see more Sports is because people don't like them. I think Honda sells many more Fit Sports than the base - hence the greater supply.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
Thumbs up 2010 Fit Sport

My daughter leased a 2010 Fit Sport. At the time Sports were all the dealer had on lot. Traded in a 2003 PT Cruiser. (Would have got a new PT if they weren't discontinued.) She likes the handling, interior space and gas mileage. I have ridden in both front and back on 200 mile trips with 3 adults, 1 teen and dog. For a small car in it's price range, it drove and rode just fine. After all, it's not a Lincoln Town Car . After about 30K miles, no repair issues.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,308 times
No. 1:
Don't buy a car for a political statement. Buy what best fits your needs and economic concerns ( economy, parking, etc etc

No.2:
I have a long commute and looked at these. My problem with them was that the delta between price if comparing a Civic to a Fit wasn't all that great. They were too close in cost to really justify. The Civic in truth still gets really good fuel economy and its a known, reliable machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura