Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,130 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is long.

We hired a contractor to tile our bathroom floor with marble tiles. He talked a good game and as the work started we were fairly happy with the work. On the third day he missed the appointment in the morning on Saturday to come to the house to finish the work and called us late in the afternoon to complete the job.

Unfortunately he had a helper and his girlfriend there and the whole affair seemed chaotic and rushed. They grouted the floor in the early evening and it looked fine when it was wet so we paid the bill in full as well as a $250 deposit for a shower tiling job that was supposed to start early in the following week.

On Sunday the grout dried and it had lightened up considerably in color and had sunk in several areas. It was then that we noted that a number of tiles were not properly aligned, the joints uneven, the tiles slightly chipped on number of the cut areas, the tiles not bedded level in the thin-set.

On Monday morning I called and spoke to the contractor telling him that we had some issues with the floor describing the problems and asked that he come and re-grout to see if that would help things. I also told him that based on the results of the floor, we had reconsidered the shower tiling job and would like our deposit back and would call it even.

After a few phone calls and missed appointments the contractor finally showed up and re-grouted the floor a week later. (It helped the appearance considerably from fairly amateur looking to okay.) He told us he would return the next day to seal the floor with a stone enhancer and would bring the deposit then. Stupidly I agreed and he took his tools and left.

Well that was over a week ago and as you might guess this guy is dodging our phone calls and not returning our calls after we leave messages to call us. We have been patient and reasonable but enough was enough so I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and it appears he is stonewalling the complaint as well.

So my question is what to do now? I really hate being ripped off like this.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,054,628 times
The BBB won't do you any good. I'm a contractor and I was a member until I found out that they are a joke and don't benefit the contractor or the customer.

If this guy took a deposit and is not returning it you need to call him and leave a message that he has 24 hours to return the money or you will press charges against him for theft. If he doesn't return your money as requested then call the police and follow through and press charges. Don't back off and give this guy another chance to screw someone else.

I hate when people who call themselves contractors rip people off. It gives us all a bad name and makes it harder to gain trust with new customers.

In the future you should never give a deposit for work prior to them starting. And never ever pay in full until you are satisfied with the job.

busta

Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 PM

407 posts, read 1,559,208 times
Default Is he insured?

If you can get his information and contact his insurance company directly, that sometimes can work. The insurance company doesn't want the hassle, and he could have difficult time getting work later if he can't prove he's insured. I tried the BBB (useless), and it was only after I called the insurance company that I got any results from one contractor I worked with.

I finally found a different contractor recommended by a neighbor, and that to me is really the ONLY way I'd hire a contractor now - from someone's personal recommendation.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Why do people keep giving these jerks money????

Right now I have over $20,000 out on jobs .

I don't even bill until the job passes county inspection.

Wake up!!!! You are NOT responsible for backing their business!!!!

Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
If you can get his information and contact his insurance company directly, that sometimes can work. The insurance company doesn't want the hassle, and he could have difficult time getting work later if he can't prove he's insured. I tried the BBB (useless), and it was only after I called the insurance company that I got any results from one contractor I worked with.

I finally found a different contractor recommended by a neighbor, and that to me is really the ONLY way I'd hire a contractor now - from someone's personal recommendation.
That could change state to state but, in Michigan only the policy owner can file a claim.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Sorry if this is long.

We hired a contractor to tile our bathroom floor with marble tiles. He talked a good game and as the work started we were fairly happy with the work. On the third day he missed the appointment in the morning on Saturday to come to the house to finish the work and called us late in the afternoon to complete the job.

Unfortunately he had a helper and his girlfriend there and the whole affair seemed chaotic and rushed. They grouted the floor in the early evening and it looked fine when it was wet so we paid the bill in full as well as a $250 deposit for a shower tiling job that was supposed to start early in the following week.

On Sunday the grout dried and it had lightened up considerably in color and had sunk in several areas. It was then that we noted that a number of tiles were not properly aligned, the joints uneven, the tiles slightly chipped on number of the cut areas, the tiles not bedded level in the thin-set.

On Monday morning I called and spoke to the contractor telling him that we had some issues with the floor describing the problems and asked that he come and re-grout to see if that would help things. I also told him that based on the results of the floor, we had reconsidered the shower tiling job and would like our deposit back and would call it even.

After a few phone calls and missed appointments the contractor finally showed up and re-grouted the floor a week later. (It helped the appearance considerably from fairly amateur looking to okay.) He told us he would return the next day to seal the floor with a stone enhancer and would bring the deposit then. Stupidly I agreed and he took his tools and left.

Well that was over a week ago and as you might guess this guy is dodging our phone calls and not returning our calls after we leave messages to call us. We have been patient and reasonable but enough was enough so I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and it appears he is stonewalling the complaint as well.

So my question is what to do now? I really hate being ripped off like this.

Thanks in advance.
Does this guy have a licence???

If so check with licensing in your state.

If not, you went to the bargain basement and got burned.

Suck it up and move on.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:08 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,130 times
The contractor has a license as required by the state. Trust me we are not an idiot homeowners. We've used hired help in three homes over the past 20 years and it is usual and customary for all aspects of the home repair/remodel business (including landscapers) up here to require a percentage deposit from 10 to 50% to start work. To withhold a deposit would mean no work would get done. My only mistake was trusting the guy to do what he said he would do.

This is the first time we've been burned. We got a recommendation for this tiler (the one we used in the past retired) from a long time well established tile and stone retailer that we've worked with before so we had no reason (we thought) to worry about this guy being a reputable business person.

We looked him up on the BBB and he had zero complaints at the time. I'm not asking for people to pile onto our troubles by blaming us for the bad actions of this contractor. We did due diligence as far as possible without hiring a private investigator to look into this man's business. I wouldn't think one should have to do so to avoid getting ripped off.

On monday I will call the state licensing board to see what can be done.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
The contractor has a license as required by the state. Trust me we are not an idiot homeowners. We've used hired help in three homes over the past 20 years and it is usual and customary for all aspects of the home repair/remodel business (including landscapers) up here to require a percentage deposit from 10 to 50% to start work. To withhold a deposit would mean no work would get done. My only mistake was trusting the guy to do what he said he would do.

This is the first time we've been burned. We got a recommendation for this tiler (the one we used in the past retired) from a long time well established tile and stone retailer that we've worked with before so we had no reason (we thought) to worry about this guy being a reputable business person.

We looked him up on the BBB and he had zero complaints at the time. I'm not asking for people to pile onto our troubles by blaming us for the bad actions of this contractor. We did due diligence as far as possible without hiring a private investigator to look into this man's business. I wouldn't think one should have to do so to avoid getting ripped off.

On monday I will call the state licensing board to see what can be done.
I disagree on the deposit.

If he can't afford your job....run.

Your state law likely states they CAN ask for a % down, not that they HAVE to.

Go to your state's web site and see what you can find there.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:23 AM

Alaska Division of Occupational Licensing

Here is a start.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:35 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
So I had a similar problem (paid deposit, work was inferior so I had him stop) last month with a "carpenter" . Only difference is I knew this guy's wife. I also knew the guy has money issues (wife unemployed, truck damaged in an accident) and had probably spent the money. He was avoiding my calls. So I left him a voice mail and offered him the oppty to do some other general labor work on my property.... spreading topsoil and sod.... and we could call it even. He was grateful for the chance to do this work, because he is an honest guy. Just adding my input. I had decided I wouldn't be able to collect the money so I could stew in my damages or give both this guy and myself a chance to "make lemonade."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House