Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
These sound like they are not a good candidate for those of us on septic systems. The worst thing you can do to a septic tank is pour bleach into it.

Didn't know that. Somehow people who buy whirlpool tubs should be told that. With a whirlpool tub you are suppose to run bleach through it every couple of weeks. We got a whirlpool and fortunately are not on septic. Didn't know that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 09:16 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Check out this thread for cleaning out your hot water tank. Ideas on saving energy

Check out the .pdf's and the links to maintaining your water heater. If you get rotten egg smells or rust. Sometimes the rust is attributed to the HW tank but can also be from your septic system. The rotten egg smell is almost always from HW tanks and it can be present in gas or electric ones.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Check out this thread for cleaning out your hot water tank. Ideas on saving energy

Check out the .pdf's and the links to maintaining your water heater. If you get rotten egg smells or rust. Sometimes the rust is attributed to the HW tank but can also be from your septic system. The rotten egg smell is almost always from HW tanks and it can be present in gas or electric ones.
Thanks, but my rust is in the water. Cold water, hot water - doesn't matter. The softener takes a lot of it out, but not all. I have a new water heater and noticed the sulfur smell. I thought it was a reaction with the annode.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Thanks, but my rust is in the water. Cold water, hot water - doesn't matter. The softener takes a lot of it out, but not all. I have a new water heater and noticed the sulfur smell. I thought it was a reaction with the annode.

It is:

"In addition, some of these waters have excessive sulfate content along with various strains of sulfate
reducing bacteria (see Document 1206). These bacteria, harmless to health, will grow in the presence of the highly
active magnesium anode rod and using the hydrogen ion from the anode-cathode reaction, will produce hydrogen
sulfide gas. The gas smells like rotten eggs. The greater the activity of the anode, the more hydrogen ions are
produced – and the more hydrogen sulfide (smelly) gas. These bacteria can be killed with adequate additions of
chlorine, such as with an automatic chlorine feeder."

From the "tech data on water heaters" .pdf in my "Ideas on saving energy thread" page 2 2nd paragraph up from the bottom. Although I don't have a tech service bulletin for gas water heaters it is a very similar reaction and can be helped by flushing the tank regularly. The anode should be at least checked every two years and changed as necessary to help extend the life of the water heater tank.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:32 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
A little off topic, but that explains why chlorine gets rid of the sulfur for a while. I'd read periodic chlorinating the well is the only real way to deal with sulfur water - a big chore to do.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:42 PM

168 posts, read 1,212,139 times
Here is what I found in my front loader after the door had been closed during a move and the smell was BAD. Check in the rubbery part that goes around the machine--the part that makes the door seal. I realized after trying bleach loads, hot loads, leaving the door open to no avail that there was an enormous amount of MOLD in the rubbery part, which apparently accumulated when the front door was closed for a few weeks during the move.

Once I got that all cleaned out (and there was a LOT of it!) the smell totally disappeared. It's been over a year in humid NC and it has not come back at all (I do always leave the door open so it can dry out. I'm sure it would come back if I closed it). I have cats too--why would that mean you can't close the door? Just be sure they aren't in there before starting a load!!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,511 times
Sounds like a lot of extra work for something that is supposed to be "the in thing". I guess I'll stick with my old fashioned top loader after reading this. I definitely don't want "funk" on my clothing, bedsheets, or otherwise.

Sorry you all are having this problem, I would send a nice nasty letter to the manufacturer

Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times
It really isnt a lot of work...just routine maintenance that needs to be performed on all washing machines from time to time. The way mine washes the clothes and cleans them, along with the savings in water and energy..make it totally worth it. And its a lot easier as we get older to load and unload from the front...oh and when you are really bored, you can watch the wash...it's so gentle, doesn't wring the clothes, the machine tosses them so clothes don't get so beat up. I think its worth it...

Old 11-17-2007, 04:21 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
One of my co-workers bought a new front load washer last year. He said that when he hooked it up, he hooked up only a cold water line because the washer has a built in mini water heater (kind of like it's own "tankless" electric water heater). Does anyone else have a washer like this? I had never heard of such a thing, it seems like it would add a lot of extra cost to the machine and becomes one extra component that could break and cost a lot to fix someday. I am considering a front load washer the next time I need to buy one, now that I learned from all these good comments how to avoid the mildew in the gasket issue.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:31 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times
Wow mine has hot and cold controls...nothing automatic..maybe his is something like dishwashers that heat the water to sanitize..i would think that would add a lot of extra energy and kind of a waste, actually. Just dial hot, warm or cool. Simple...I'm not doubting some high end machine has that feature, I wouldnt pay extra for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House