Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I recently refinished my part of my basement, and part of the refinishing involved building a 4' x 4' utility closet around my sump pump. As our summers get very humid, we decided to get a dehumidifier for the basement to keep the air more comfortable and help the laundry dry faster. Although the basement is only about 1200 sq ft, we still got a 70 pint/day dehumidifier just in case we need the capacity. My question is this: Will the dehumidifier work effectively inside the utility closet. It would be very convenient if we could just drain it into the sump. However, there is only a small gap under the door and I am concerned that it will not get enough air flow. We do have floor drains in the laundry room, but that would require visible hoses in the middle of the floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
Can't you just keep the dehumidifier out of the closet and run the hose under the door? I am no expert, but think the dehumidifier would cut off too early in the closet as the humidity reading in that small of a room would lower very quickly and you would have limited pull of air from outside the closet before it shuts off.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:01 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Will the dehumidifier work effectively inside the utility closet.
No. It won't.

Quote:
It would be very convenient if we could just drain it into the sump.
Nope. Not that approach either.

Put the machine as close to the center of the space as you can in a way that ALSO exposes it to the most unobstructed air flow. It's all about the CFM's.

As to the water that needs to be drained I'll suggest a plain vanilla and rather inexpensive condensate pump with a hose that runs to a proper waste line or even outside.

Do it right.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:26 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
LOL, by building the closet you now have TWO areas that need dehumidifying. At a minimum, I would replace a wall of the closet or the door with something that had open louvers or screens. Put a sump in an enclosed closet, and you can almost guarantee you will get mold.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:55 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No. It won't.

Nope. Not that approach either.

Put the machine as close to the center of the space as you can in a way that ALSO exposes it to the most unobstructed air flow. It's all about the CFM's.

As to the water that needs to be drained I'll suggest a plain vanilla and rather inexpensive condensate pump with a hose that runs to a proper waste line or even outside.

Do it right.
100% agree. I tried mine in a utility closet that has a direct gravity drain, and two 12"x12" vents to the main space, and it just did not work. Not enough flow. The small utility room was dryer than the Sahara, but the main space was more or less the same.

I moved the unit to the main space and turned on the central HVAC blower fan and the space dried out in 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House