Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 05:59 AM

450 posts, read 1,503,333 times

Advertisements

We just recently moved to Tennessee from California. We noticed that a lot of the houses here have no texture on the walls. Besides the cost factor of putting texture on is there reason for not having texture? My ceiling has the "mop" method texture on it but the walls are smooth and it shows every imperfection.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 06:16 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,283 times
Most all east coast houses do not have any texture on the walls...or ceiling. Most people feel that having smooth walls (and ceiling) have a more formal look. Without texture the drywall installer must do a very good job because any imperfection (nails pops, seams, etc.) will show. I think you will find that other houses in your area of the same age also have non-textured walls just like yours. This method of having smooth walls in your area is nothing new, however many of the more recently built houses (especially high-end houses) will have textured walls because it's "the thing to do" now. Locals would probably think you're crazy to texture a smooth wall, whereas you probably think having smooth walls is crazy. It's just a location difference. I'm sure you'll find many differences moving from CA to TN...and the walls will be the least of them!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:16 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,964 times
I can think of three reasons. In order of probability personal taste, cost and humidity. Texture provides places for mold to grow. That would be less of a problem in a the desert climate of Calif than it would be in Tenn.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 PM

Thanks..... First I didn't live in the desert area of California but I did live just south of Sacramento in the "Big Valley" it didn't have a lot of humidity but it was drier then here. I was kinda thinking that the humidity has something to do with along with the cost factor. I understand the formal look also. It just bugs me because the people that lived in this house before us just repaired the holes and they did a lousy job. I am thinking about buying a texture gun and doing the texture as I re-paint. I just wanted to know if there was a specific reason for the smooth walls.. Thanks again

Old 10-31-2008, 02:39 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I am thinking about buying a texture gun and doing the texture as I re-paint. I just wanted to know if there was a specific reason for the smooth walls.. Thanks again
Before doing that, you might want to consider the length of time you plan to stay in the house. If it's for a lifetime, go for it. Otherwise, a potential buyer down the road (if they are from here in the east and are not used to the western style of wall texturing) might be turned off.

I had what is probably a typical easterner reaction to wall texture when we thought we might have to move to Colorado and were looking at houses in the Denver area. After viewing 6 houses, and seeing that each had textured walls, I voiced an exasperated exclamation to the realtor "do you know how long it's going to take me to scrape this s**t off! " If we had moved to Denver, I would have insisted on buying a house pre-construction and paid more to have smooth walls. That textured stuff, to me, looked crappy (to which a realtor would have probably replied with the same advice I stated )

Last edited by silverwing; 10-31-2008 at 02:54 AM..

Old 10-31-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Before doing that, you might want to consider the length of time you plan to stay in the house. If it's for a lifetime, go for it. Otherwise, a potential buyer down the road (if they are from here in the east and are not used to the western style of wall texturing) might be turned off.
Oh My you have a very good point. I hadn't thought of that. I guess I will leave well enough alone. I suppose I could just repair the repair work the correct way. Thanks silverwing

Old 10-31-2008, 07:34 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post

I had what is probably a typical easterner reaction to wall texture when we thought we might have to move to Colorado and were looking at houses in the Denver area. After viewing 6 houses, and seeing that each had textured walls, I voiced an exasperated exclamation to the realtor "do you know how long it's going to take me to scrape this s**t off! " If we had moved to Denver, I would have insisted on buying a house pre-construction and paid more to have smooth walls. That textured stuff, to me, looked crappy (to which a realtor would have probably replied with the same advice I stated )
Totally agree! Excellent point and advice.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
Most all east coast houses do not have any texture on the walls...or ceiling. Most people feel that having smooth walls (and ceiling) have a more formal look. Without texture the drywall installer must do a very good job because any imperfection (nails pops, seams, etc.) will show. I think you will find that other houses in your area of the same age also have non-textured walls just like yours. This method of having smooth walls in your area is nothing new, however many of the more recently built houses (especially high-end houses) will have textured walls because it's "the thing to do" now. Locals would probably think you're crazy to texture a smooth wall, whereas you probably think having smooth walls is crazy. It's just a location difference. I'm sure you'll find many differences moving from CA to TN...and the walls will be the least of them!
Kooter is right on. I grew up on the east coast in the construction business and never heard of textured walls but I have seen some popcorn ceilings. When I made my first move to Virginia is when I first saw textured walls. I thought they were very ugly, which they are so I asked the Realtor what is it. She said textured walls are a sign of a good builder. I said what if the builder sucks but uses a good texture guy. In Virginia it was customary to texture the whole house but NOT the kitchen and baths. There they called them slick walls and cost more to do. They used blue board and skim coated the entire surface.

Over the years I now see how different parts of the country do different types of textures. Some places use a spray on foam specks then sand off the high spots while others skim coat the whole wall and use a sponge to twist rows of waves. Yet other areas use what looks like a lemon merange pie. Either way those popcorn ceilings are generally noted as being out of style.

All texture are gross. Give me smooth walls any day. I guess like anything else....you like what you are used to.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:48 PM

786 posts, read 3,924,533 times
I had never seen textured walls until we moved to San Diego. I was also told that they are so that the builder can be a little sloppier with the drywalling and hide imperfections. We just moved back East and we're back to smooth walls - yay!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:17 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
I had never seen textured walls until we moved to San Diego. I was also told that they are so that the builder can be a little sloppier with the drywalling and hide imperfections. We just moved back East and we're back to smooth walls - yay!
Exactly... a good smooth finish takes more planning and skill. The texture hides many flaws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House