Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which appearance/style do you find most attractive for a home?
Brick 30 28.57%
Shingled 6 5.71%
Clapboard 6 5.71%
Victorian 25 23.81%
Stone 29 27.62%
Craftsman 30 28.57%
Stucco 6 5.71%
Mediterranean 19 18.10%
Log/Cabin 9 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:34 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCoriander View Post
I think you should choose better photos for these examples and/or stick with either home style *or* building materials. Brick, for instance, hits a positive note for me because I think of the rowhome I grew up in or more stately older townhouses or brick colonials from the turn of the century or before. That image of the newer house (which, in all honestly, might not even be real brick) really doesn't do it as a classic example of a brick home. Same for stone...I imagined some quaint stone cottage in Ireland, not what could be a faux-stone facade on a mcmansion. Again, with stucco...you have a house that is synthetic stucco. A *real* stucco home is more attractive, durable, suited to its environment and doesn't look like a typical mcmansion with some stucco slapped on. Stick to classic, real examples of building materials or home styles. Wikipedia has a pretty comprehensive list under "house styles."
Fair enough. I acknowledge that some of these may not be the best representations, but it really was general/simplified concepts that I was trying to get across and gauge popular opinion. I think your criticisms are very good things to point out, though -- much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You do not like Tudor? That may be a better brick option for you to consider.
Immediately after I submitted this thread, I realized I left out Tudor. I agree, though. I think Tudors can be very attractive and charming.

Quote:
If you are looking a new houses, you will not find houses like what you picture unless it is a very expensive custom house. Most modern houses have bad attempts at elements of all styles.
Excellent point. It's interesting how many people try to recreate an older look with newer homes, yet there are so many actual older homes out there that are neglected and offer something much more authentic.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
I like the craftsman style the best.

But as far as materials go, I like the durability and low maintenance of brick and stone (but not the price), and I like the look of stucco but not the maintenance. I would prefer a combination of materials like brick with stucco or stone with stucco.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I didn't know wall cladding was a style.

Let's try:

Traditional (crap)
Folk Style (my favorite house by far here)
Georgian (nice- see how great the real thing looks here without shutters)
Queen Anne
French Eclectic
Craftsman
Builder's basic box
Pseudo European/Mediterranean Eclectic (disaster)
Cabin
Haha, I like your brutal honesty. I know I was meshing terminology with this thread, but I really was trying to get at gauging opinion on the best "appearance" of certain homes, which really can encompass cladding and style.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times
I am loving the Log Cabin, preferably in a dence woods with just me and the animals all alone !!!!

Now that is the life I want !!

Old 07-01-2011, 04:27 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Most of those look like out of proportion or off balance MacMansions to me.

I usually like a craftsman (but not that one.) The authentic ones look better.

I really like a Cape house with cedar shingles--the shingles need no upkeep whatsoever and the houses are so versatile.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,803 times
I voted for the Log Cabin/Home. To me, they represent warmth, safety, security, comfort ,cozyness and of old timey living of days gone by. While I love & think the other homes represented by the photos are beautiful, none of them bring those feelings to me.
I remember as a child ,reading a story about a pioneer family traveling to find the perfect site for their home, once they did, they constructed a log cabin
And the way the writer vividly described the way the family worked together to put each log in place & the pride they took in their workmanship made such an impression on me. The writer further described the feelings the family members had as they settled into their new home, feeling warm and safe and cozy. I've always wanted one since then.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:03 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
You do not like Tudor? That may be a better brick option for you to consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Immediately after I submitted this thread, I realized I left out Tudor. I agree, though. I think Tudors can be very attractive and charming.

Actually, you didn't "leave out" Tudor- you just miss label it (sortta).
Your "stone" example is a Tudor "style" home. Remember, there's a big difference between materials (claddings) and styles (architecture). And another "style" you left off your list- MCM (mid-century modern).

Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Well -- each house style has it's own good points and looks good in it's style. I think what screws it up for me is when you take a house that is completely one style and decide it's going to be another..... like out here, people are buying Victorians and gutting them to be completely modern in the interior. It's like walking into the time warp.... jarring and wrong.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Default Which appearance/style do you find most attractive for a home?

I vote Craftsman (but I'm biased because I live in a historic 1916 bungalow )

...Though honestly, all the original (read: old, pre-WW2) examples looked beautiful. As soon as you screw up the old proportions and add a big garage, the aesthetic is just gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House