Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
In our new remodel, I will be putting my pot rack back into use. I hate having to "un-nest" my pots and pans in order to use them. Of course, I use a whole lot of cast iron and it can be pretty heavy.
I eliminated the "unnesting" problem by covering the wall at the landing of my basement stairs with pegboard. (The door to the basement is in my kitchen.)

All of my pots, pans and skillets hang individually on their own hooks. They are out of sight but easy to access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 01:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I'm wondering, would your refrigerator fit in the breezeway?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
I would take that wall down in a heartbeat - there is nothing attractive about it - open it all up and redo the whole ceiling....save up and have someone come and do it for you or learn how to do it yourself...in the end, you'll be happier.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:41 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I eliminated the "unnesting" problem by covering the wall at the landing of my basement stairs with pegboard. (The door to the basement is in my kitchen.)

All of my pots, pans and skillets hang individually on their own hooks. They are out of sight but easy to access.
I'm considering some pegboard & hooks for some of my utensils, but the darn cast iron stuff is far too heavy for pegboard. I don't mind nesting my assortment of stew pots, but my cast iron I like to keep hanging. I love, love, love the idea of pegboard panels on some of the ends of a few cabinets, so believe me....I WILL be going with that idea. LOL

I am a very "at my fingertips/within reach" sort of cook. We are currently changing our kitchen, enlarging it from a whopping, but extremely functional and roomy 13'9" x 12'2" space, to a 13'9' x 23' 6" space. We were fortunate enough to have a full wall which was dedicated to floor to ceiling storage as well as the fridge & hot/cold water dispenser and the kitchen had a "backward G" layout. Again, extremely functional, even at such a small size.

After the fire, we've made the decision to take over the neighboring room, having acquired a lovely 30" double-wall oven and cooktop to replace our destroyed range. The new layout will not only enable us to have a dine-in kitchen, a floor-to-ceiling corner pantry, but also have a 12'9" x 6' (L-shaped) work area which is solely dedicated to "baking' we do around here.

Although not without its drawbacks, I have found homestyler.com to be a pretty darn good online designing tool.....just in case someone other than me hasn't used it yet. LOL

Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
If this were my home I would keep the wall. I would enlarge the island so it actually is useful, add some seating on the end of the island, maybe round the end so you can have a lot of seating and minimal floor space taken up so it would be sort of this shape o=== (if you understand that ).

I like the openness of the room even with the wall, your kitchen is still "hidden" from the main house, but you can still interact with people in the living room.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If this were my home I would keep the wall. I would enlarge the island so it actually is useful, add some seating on the end of the island, maybe round the end so you can have a lot of seating and minimal floor space taken up so it would be sort of this shape o=== (if you understand that ).

I like the openness of the room even with the wall, your kitchen is still "hidden" from the main house, but you can still interact with people in the living room.
I agree...that wall, as it is, is completely non-utilized space. I don't think the wall should go, just the puny little catch-all bar that's tacked to it.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Based on the photo provided...
I suspect that if that wall could be eliminated (practically) the previous remodel would have done so.
(wiring, duct work, load bearing aspects etc)

hth

Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
I dislike completely open kitchens.
I dislike pass thrus, they seem so dated.
I dislike islands in small kitchens.
If it were me and I had the budget I'd get rid of the island and put some counters into the area where the bar stools are. Move the bar stools to the other side and use columns or upper cabinets for a look that's more open but still defined. Something along this general idea.
http://_1373.JPG
Kitchen | Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/claytonhomes/4581941380/ - broken link)
http:///Kitchen.jpg
http://kitchen02.jpg

Old 09-25-2011, 04:19 PM

21 posts, read 117,798 times
Thanks for all the great insights and suggestions everyone. I've shared this thread with my wife and we've now got some things to think about and discuss. Unfortunately, the presence of the door to the breezeway/garage complicates things, as some of you have pointed out.

I did temporarily remove the bar and bar stools a few minutes ago, so we at least got to see what it looks like without it. We both agreed it was a welcome change.

If anyone else has any further thoughts or advice, please pass it on. The builder won't be here to begin the other remodeling work until at least mid-November, so we've got some time to think about it.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:16 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
...As for the wall, the entire span of the house is covered by trusses, so no walls are load-bearing.
Oh, contraire-
Just because it's a truss roof design doesn't mean it was designed to span the entire depth or width of the house. Hardly ever, is that the case- especially when they're 2X4 trusses- 24" o/c. Which, if I were a betting man you have(?)
The only way I would proceed would be with a structural engineer assessing the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House