Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times

Advertisements

Our home is 4 years old and has a Tank alert box in our garage. Last year when there was very heavy flooding, the red flashing light above the box went off, but once the rains stopped, it shut off.

It's now a year later with freezing temps outside here in middle TN.

For the past 3 days and only once a day, the alarm sounds for maybe a couple of seconds. The red light is not flashing above the box.

Do you think the freezing temps have something to do with the septic alarm sounding?

We put Rid-x down once a month, don't use the garbage disposal unless something gets down their accidentally, use septic safe toilet paper, etc.

Do you think we need to have it emptied or wait for the weather to warm up at the end of the week to see if it's okay?

I also have to mention that lately I've been waiting to do the laundry all on one day of the week instead of separate days. Do you think doing all the laundry on one day is effecting the septic tank?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Have had septic for over 20 years,RidX a gimmic which I would not use.A washer in septic will and can flood leach field,water has to go somewhere.I have never had washer drain into septic,separate drain.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Have had septic for over 20 years,RidX a gimmic which I would not use.A washer in septic will and can flood leach field,water has to go somewhere.I have never had washer drain into septic,separate drain.
I agree....

We just changed my washer discharge to pump into a dry well.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:35 AM

I heard to use a package of dry yeast monthly instead of Rid x.

I'm not sure how much it would be to install a dry well down here as the ground is very rocky. Even when you try to dig a hole for a new bush, it's like going through cement.

I never thought of the dry well idea. Back when I lived in NY, we had a cesspool and a dry well for the washer.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2011, 08:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
I heard to use a package of dry yeast monthly instead of Rid x.

I'm not sure how much it would be to install a dry well down here as the ground is very rocky. Even when you try to dig a hole for a new bush, it's like going through cement.

I never thought of the dry well idea. Back when I lived in NY, we had a cesspool and a dry well for the washer.

Thanks
I used my excavator.

Even if you had to pay someone to dig the hole....in the end it would pay off.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Burned out bulb?

Old 12-10-2011, 04:10 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Call a septic company and have them open it up. Let them pump it.

Is this a special septic system that needs an alarm? Is it a pressure system maybe?

Types of septic systems

Most people have gravity systems. But yours doesn't sound like one.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:56 AM

Going to call a local company to pump it out. The alarm went off again this morning and we haven't been using much water in the past few days.

All the septic sytems in our neighborhood have an alarm box in the garage that goes off to alert you when the tank is getting full to be emptied.

It's a SJE-Rhombus Tank Alert XT alarm system. There's a box next to the cement cover outside and a box inside the garage.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:46 PM

302 posts, read 2,230,961 times
[quote=46Barb;22071741]All the septic sytems in our neighborhood have an alarm box in the garage that goes off to alert you when the tank is getting full to be emptied.quote]The alarm doesn't tell you when the tank needs to be pumped. The alarm monitors the liquid level and sounds when the level is too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House