Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:15 PM

11 posts, read 19,251 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a non-Maytag refrigerator out there? The compressor on it died and was told that it will cost 500 bucks to get a new compressor, thus better off buying a new fridge. I was told to avoid Maytag due to their architecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 05:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
It really depends upon your pricerange and what style you want. I'd be trying for the most energy efficient and best distribution of cold air. Have you looked for a review at Consumer reports?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 26,206 times
Default GE Profile

We have purchased two GE Profile's and are very happy with them. One frig we replace was over 30 years old, looking it over closely showed that it was a GE. Also purchased a five year warranty for one of the frige's. We did internet pricing and feel good about getting the best price we could get.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:03 PM

34,944 posts, read 56,970,098 times
We have had an Amana for a couple of years now and are pleased with it. I agree though that you should check Consumer Reports. I usually look at their appliance reliability ratings when looking for major appliances. I look to see which company has the least repair rate and then look at products from that company. So far we have been lucky with their recommendations. Jay

Old 10-22-2010, 01:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default ? What is a fridge's "architecture"????

Maytag and Amana are uses consolidated parts. Merged several years back. Other brands from same family are JennAire, Whirlpool, KitchenAide, Gladiator. Also some appliances with Kenmore labels from Sears.

If you had problems with a compressor I do not understand why some one would tell you to avoid repairing it...

You need to avoid an awful lot of fridges to steer clear of their "architecture".
I think that most fridges use a very similar design of the compressors. If the compressor failed in less than 5-7 years I would expect the manufacturer to help me out in some way. If that involves a prorated repair, or labor only, or a massive discount on a new model I would pursue that starting with the store where I bought the think. I would escalate and find out if there is any "silent recsall" to take advantage of...

How old is your broken fridge? Seems an awful waste to junk something that could be fixed for few hundred bucks.

Last edited by chet everett; 10-22-2010 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 01:17 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Just be careful. Many makes use the same major parts from the same manufactures. You could see a brand fridge with a bad report on compressors and another with good report on those compressors, but if the maker switches vendors, the one with the bad reports could now have the good compresors and the one with the good compresors could have switched this model year to using the less good compressors. Also check the brand manurfature and you might see the same fridge marketed under two diffrent brand names with just cosmetic changes but the main parts are buolt on the same assembly line and which name and shell is put on it depends on when it comes off the line.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:50 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Think about at least looking at your friendly local used appliance shop. The one I shop at is owned by a guy who has forgot more about appliances than I even want to know, he reconditions fridges and sells them for about half of what they cost new.

Maytag is now a sub-brand of Whirlpool, they were an idependent company making rather expensive but excellent appliances till the buyout, as noted you will see essentially the same fridge offered with different trim and different brand name but underneath it's obviously the same thing.

Most people don't understand how a fridge actually works, the condenser coils on the back have to have air circulation, in summer in a hot climate it's not nuts to run a fan nearby so the air gets circulated. Feel of the compresssor motor with your hand, if it's uncomfortably hot, IMHO it needs better air circulation. Keeping the coils clean of dust is also important. My point being it could be operator error rather than a problem with the fridge. Just sayin'.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:29 PM

863 posts, read 2,993,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Maytag and Amana are uses consolidated parts. Merged several years back. Other brands from same family are JennAire, Whirlpool, KitchenAide, Gladiator. Also some appliances with Kenmore labels from Sears.

If you had problems with a compressor I do not understand why some one would tell you to avoid repairing it...

You need to avoid an awful lot of fridges to steer clear of their "architecture".
I think that most fridges use a very similar design of the compressors. If the compressor failed in less than 5-7 years I would expect the manufacturer to help me out in some way. If that involves a prorated repair, or labor only, or a massive discount on a new model I would pursue that starting with the store where I bought the think. I would escalate and find out if there is any "silent recsall" to take advantage of...

How old is your broken fridge? Seems an awful waste to junk something that could be fixed for few hundred bucks.
A couple years ago the compressor in our GE died. It was 5 yrs and 4 mos old, 4 mos out of warranty. The store we bought it from, Circuit City (still around at the time but had gotten rid of appliances) was NO help. So I went directly to GE. I spent MANY long hours on the phone with them and finally got them to send a replacement compressor N/C, we paid installation labor about $150. Less than a year later the replacement compressor failed. After many MORE long hours on the phone, I got them to offer a 50% discount on a replacement frig of THEIR choosing. Supposedly a comparable side-by-side. I suspect we paid half of full retail, but I didn't have time to investigate as it was the middle of summer and we were heading out on vacation (of course). New replacement frig has been fine, but the warranty on it is 2 years. I think it is already now out of warranty. Guesstimate on time spent on the phone with GE. Probably 10-15 calls at 1.5-3 hours each time. If you go this route it may require persistance!

And I also refer to Consumer Reports before ANY major purchases.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:46 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
I also advise against GE - same thing here: compressor went ONE WEEK after warranty - new one guaranteed for life but the original isn't? Doesn't make sense. Also, the coil thing that rotates in the ice maker rusted not long after we bought it so we disconnected the water supply and can't even make ice (unless we want orange tinted cubes, lol).

Old 10-22-2010, 05:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek2010 View Post
Can anyone recommend a non-Maytag refrigerator out there? The compressor on it died and was told that it will cost 500 bucks to get a new compressor, thus better off buying a new fridge. I was told to avoid Maytag due to their architecture.
I read the same online when shopping for a fridge and a coworker had personal experience with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpenn17 View Post
We have purchased two GE Profile's and are very happy with them. One frig we replace was over 30 years old, looking it over closely showed that it was a GE. Also purchased a five year warranty for one of the frige's. We did internet pricing and feel good about getting the best price we could get.
I'm also happy with my GE Profile, but it's only 2 1/2 years old...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House