Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 PM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times

Advertisements

Okay, so we decided to add on to the back of our house which means that we will have to remove about 8 feet from the house side of our 16 by 20 foot deck (meaning the 20 foot length goes down to 12 feet). Now the deck is old and in need of a complete over haul but the basic structure is sound. The rails are old and ugly. I should add that the deck is not rectangular. The two corners of the deck are cut on an angle further reducing the area that would remain. Also one of those angles are actually steps up to the edge of an above ground pool.

All this said I am thinking that if we rehab the deck with new decking and rails it will not be big enough for a table with chairs and a grill that I use often all year-round. We are working on a limited budget for this ($5,000) so I am not sure we can afford to expand it to as large as it was. I am also not sure that we can afford a composite or even want to use that since the deck is in the direct sun all day. Still I do not want to be out there treating a deck every year.

Someone mentioned a patio but I am not sure how you would do one up against a pool and how expensive it would be. Anyone have some thoughts on this? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 10:54 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,378,338 times
You might consider putting a roof over it. Maybe that's what you meant by "patio?"
Having spoken to a contractor about it just yesterday, adding a basic single angle roof about doubles the cost of the deck. And then there's the roof material itself which ranges in price.

But if you can afford it, that will give you shade to make the deck more usable year round and protect it from the elements. You can also screen it in. My next house is going to have a relatively small deck area but with a roof over it and screened. In my area, the biggest deck in the world can still be utterly useless here from June-Oct if it's in the blazing sun with no screen. Furthermore, it could be useless from Nov-Apr if it's in the open but if it has a roof, you can add flaps in the winter time and use an outdoor heater and voila, it's a usable space.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:07 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,549 times
To me, the size of what will remain of your deck actually sounds pretty good. Plus it's already set up to have access to the pool. You can put your grill anywhere, and you could change "table and chairs" to putting a bench (purchased or built) against the home or railing, and a table same size pushed up to it. Then scatter a few chairs around for relaxing, which can be dragged to the outer side of the table for eating. Later, after you've lived with it the way it will turn out, you can better get a feel for modifying it.

You might decide to build some wide steps on an end of the deck that will go into the yard and create a patio out there, as an expansion of the deck area. Or if you want to go straight to a patio entirely, if your deck happens to be rather close to the ground, go ahead and consider tearing the deck all out. Then the way to deal with the pool is put a smallish deck around a quarter of it, so you can put wide steps to get up to it from the patio, and also have a place to sit in a few chairs up there or build in some wide seating into the deck, maybe stretch a triangular canvas over it.

The patio would be a nice thing to have. I like them a lot, particularly if it's just one step down from the door opening. And it can be as big as you want, plus it's just in the grass, so this automatically expands usable space to put chairs for a "crowd." I think flat slate-like irregularly shaped stone, while it takes a lot of labor, can be scattered about, with lots of green in between, is all you'd need to do. You can plant an ornamental tree somewhere next to it, and maybe a small grouping of flowering evergreen shrubs, to make it all seem real natural out there. A hammock might be fun.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:21 PM

Keep in mind I have a budget. I would love to build a roof over it but I just do not have the money. We did have one of those canvas gazebos on it to screen the sun. For a couple of years we had a cheap one. They would last a year and then fall apart. Last year we paid some good money and bought a more durable one but it still collapsed in the hurricane and snow storm even though I took most of the canvas off before the storms. Those things really are not designed well. Who wants to or can climb up opn a ladder everytime there is some wind to remove the cover. I don't.

As for the deck, does anyone have any suggestions for lower cost low maintenance materials? Composites are so pricey, I think it would be more than my budget just for the materials.

I do like the idea of building wide steps down to the lawn and may explore that a bit more. Thanks, Jay

Old 05-13-2012, 05:01 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Keep in mind I have a budget. I would love to build a roof over it but I just do not have the money. We did have one of those canvas gazebos on it to screen the sun. For a couple of years we had a cheap one. They would last a year and then fall apart. Last year we paid some good money and bought a more durable one but it still collapsed in the hurricane and snow storm even though I took most of the canvas off before the storms. Those things really are not designed well. Who wants to or can climb up opn a ladder everytime there is some wind to remove the cover. I don't.
Jay, what about building a pergola over the deck and putting sun-hardy vines up it, like Carolina jessamine? We covered our deck when it was being built and I now feel that was a terrible mistake, although even when it rains we have a nice place to sit. Our deck is too narrow and now we have a roof to contend with to re-do it. Sigh. It looked so nice on the plans....but I digress....Once the plants have grown in you have serious shade, some architectural interest, and a "garden room".

I like the idea of expanding into the yard too!

Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
If you have not already talked to contractors about what is involved in "expanding the back of your house" I think you need to ASAP.

In my experience it is all but impossible to wrk around an existing deck in such situation. The excavation will almost certainly require the whole deck be removed, and the odds any of the material from the deck will be in a state suitable for re-use is close to nil...

It would be wise to talk to excavators about a long term plan to regrade the lot so that a paver or concrete area would substitute for deck. Cost is likely to be similar to "synthetic decking" and with appropriate planing will be a better long term solution...

Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Well ebing expose to the elements is one reaqosn to actual use the composite has costant sun and elements are very hard o any wooden deck not refinished yearly.OIne reason you see so much Trex used i tropical climates on deacks and piers near oceans.Be sure to consdier the fasteners also. I have had three deacks wit the last being trex and that is what I'd use if doing another raised deck.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,378,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Keep in mind I have a budget. I would love to build a roof over it but I just do not have the money.
You could always build it yourself.

It's not like there aren't a thousand books showing you step by step how to do it at the local DIY store.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you have not already talked to contractors about what is involved in "expanding the back of your house" I think you need to ASAP.

In my experience it is all but impossible to wrk around an existing deck in such situation. The excavation will almost certainly require the whole deck be removed, and the odds any of the material from the deck will be in a state suitable for re-use is close to nil...

It would be wise to talk to excavators about a long term plan to regrade the lot so that a paver or concrete area would substitute for deck. Cost is likely to be similar to "synthetic decking" and with appropriate planing will be a better long term solution...

Good Luck!
I did talk to our contractor yesterday and it is likely that the deck will need to be removed. The deck is a bit odd in that although it looks like one deck, it was actually build in two sections. The section closest to the house was original and the second section was an add on. The addition is going to take out the first section but with careful excavation it may be possible to save the second section. Still it is going to be tight. Our contractor is leaning toward going with a raised patio instead. He too said that it is about the same as a synthetic deck but I am still concerned that it will not be in our budget. Any idea what I should budget for this? Jay

Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
You could always build it yourself.

It's not like there aren't a thousand books showing you step by step how to do it at the local DIY store.
I wish I could. Between my poor carpentry abilities and a bad back as well as other issues like lack of time, I doubt I could do it. Still it is a nice project for some people (I do admire people that can do things like this). I sadly am not one of them. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House