Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,088,628 times

Advertisements

i am in a side by side older home---the person on the other side has had some very strong sweet scenter on continuously for almost 2 weeks---the strong odor is thruout my side in every nook and cranny----it is coming thru the central air vents and is stronger close to the floor----it has caused my asthma to flair and i am now medication----------the response to a please turn it down letter was for her to turn it up allowing more scent

MY QUESTION-----HOW DO I BLOCK THE ODOR?ALL IDEAS WELCOME!

AM ACTIVELY SEEKING ANOTHER UNATTACHED RESIDENCE!

thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Passive aggressive personalities generally respond well to a few biker parties at all hours of the night. During that time, you book a vacation.

Short of that, the Doors at 92 dB randomly through the night in five second bursts gets the message across.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,827,818 times
I like to take the aggressive route most of the time, but those type of passive agressive people will probably make the same noise right back at you or complain about your noise to police or HOA, etc. without first stopping the initial offense.

I actually have the same problem with cooking smell coming thru the air vents (use the same AC/heat and duct work system). I sealed up the duct in my bedroom to prevent the smell there, the rest of the house smells like the inside of the oven at times. Keep a window slightly open all the time to prevent your side sucking air from your neighbors (keep your side neutral and not negative in terms of air pressure).

Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,305,824 times
You could start cooking curry until you find another place.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
You could start cooking curry until you find another place.

that sounds great---we like curry and i have been trying to think of things to give a smell back

as to the biker party---that's her type of man---she would probably just use it as an opportunity to increase her nightly revolving door male review and i would continue to be woken up by her loudly beginning them to stay(only uninterrupted sleep i get is when she's too tired/sick to party

Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,651,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
i am in a side by side older home---the person on the other side has had some very strong sweet scenter on continuously for almost 2 weeks---the strong odor is thruout my side in every nook and cranny----it is coming thru the central air vents and is stronger close to the floor----it has caused my asthma to flair and i am now medication----------the response to a please turn it down letter was for her to turn it up allowing more scent

MY QUESTION-----HOW DO I BLOCK THE ODOR?ALL IDEAS WELCOME!

AM ACTIVELY SEEKING ANOTHER UNATTACHED RESIDENCE!

thanks for your time.
Sweet smells such as you describe can be from drug use or manufacturing drugs. Chemicals used can cause your asthma to flair without a doubt.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,378,338 times
Sometimes you have no good options other than to just talk to the people.

Knock Knock...
Hi, I'm so & so, your neighbor. Nice to meet you.
Oh my that's a lovely dress.

The reason I came over was I noticed a strange odor and I was wondering if you noticed it too? I thought maybe it was coming from outside but I'm not sure. Is it coming from here?

Oh it's your meth lab? Oh ok. Can you please add some ventilation, because it's making my sinuses act up.

Ok. Thanks so much. See ya around. Have a good one. Bye.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:03 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
LOL, I tried to rep you cittic, but I guess I just did for something else.
You really need to bring this up and explain you're sensitive to smells and chemicals. Maybe she'll slam the door in your face, but maybe the smell will stop (if it's not meth). Good luck house hunting!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:13 AM

935 posts, read 3,448,650 times
LOL, that was funny.

So a serious question: Do you know if your ductwork is open to the other units ductwork in either ventilation or hvac?
Do you have a plenum intake (return register) inside your unit? If there is only one return and it is in their unit, are they trying to "smoke you out," perhaps?

Who owns the building? Are both of you tenants? If so, what is your rental agreement?

I'm not an expert in residential codes, but I would be surprised to learn that a multi-family dwelling (usually duplexes are classified with single-family but with an addendum relating to the areas where the two homes meet). Can someone with construction/inspection experience speak to this?

Unless I am wrong, no air should be moving between the two units. However, fixing that situation could be a costly proposition.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
LOL, that was funny.

So a serious question: Do you know if your ductwork is open to the other units ductwork in either ventilation or hvac?
Do you have a plenum intake (return register) inside your unit? If there is only one return and it is in their unit, are they trying to "smoke you out," perhaps?

Who owns the building? Are both of you tenants? If so, what is your rental agreement?

I'm not an expert in residential codes, but I would be surprised to learn that a multi-family dwelling (usually duplexes are classified with single-family but with an addendum relating to the areas where the two homes meet). Can someone with construction/inspection experience speak to this?

Unless I am wrong, no air should be moving between the two units. However, fixing that situation could be a costly proposition.

the air conditioning guy i did call thinks there should have been a return downstairs--could not find it and does think it is in her unit--so obviously the units are connected somehow

i tried knocking on her door--being pleasant and asking her to turn down the scenter----she said what scenter and slammed the door----should have said----could you please vent your meth lab in another direction

owner of property's response was---she better not make me lose my home

police response---we have to witness a month of buy's before we can investigate
stuff is being sold elsewhere--is picked up by sleazy man in sun glasses who parks his car halfway down the block

am spending my valuable time house hunting,honing detective skills i didn't know i had,and going to confession for all the foul language and wishing of nasty things directed to her

her smoking me out is working but if it puts me in the hospital there will be legal action--thanks to my directly worded letters to her and the owner of this building

code enforcement in this area is enacted only on strangers to the area and minorities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House