Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 PM

6 posts, read 8,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I set it to when my wife says I am comfortable as I do not care to hear her complaining....and if I am uncomfortable.... I go elsewhere......LOL
Haha You sound like my husband!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Usually around 70 unless I'm having a danged hot flash then the air is turned on to 65 or I go outside and lay on the cold sidewalk.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:01 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
When we lived in Wi, we had it at 64 at night and 70 during the day-and that felt COLD. We had an old, poorly insulated house so 68 was too chilly-we actually had "cold areas" of the house!
now in NC, we still have it at 70 in a well-insulated newer home. I think the high ceilings suck up a lot of the heat!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:31 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
68 or 69 here.....but in winter you need a sweater and socks on. Usually I'll wrap up in a blanket watching TV. We have a gas fireplace we turn on in the morning while reading the paper and drinking coffee.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:43 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
turn it ON in the morning and during the day ON whenever it feels cold. Off in the night. Night temperature drops to 60 or 58 when it's really cold outside (not too many days though). We use heater in the room we sleep. I turn the central heating on in the morning so that entire house is back to like 68.

This could be could for most people but we like it that way.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:06 PM

285 posts, read 703,276 times
67 all day and all night.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:28 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
At my last house (also in New Hampshire, about 10 minutes away from my current house), I usually kept the thermostat on ~68-70 during the day, but put it WAY down at night -- 58 or 60. I have an electric blanket to warm the bed before I get in it, and thick comforters and a kitty or two to warm the bed when I'm sleeping. Even when I would get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, it never felt THAT cold to me. I'm amazed by those of you who can sleep with temps of 70+ -- I like a COLD bedroom with a warm bed for sleeping.

I have not yet turned on the furnace at my new house (I have little heaters to take the chill off in a particular room that I am in -- given the price of oil, that seems more efficient than heating the whole house). I expect to turn it on this coming week when temps are expected to be in the 40s. I didn't think the house was all that well insulated (it was built in 1960), but when the thermostat reads 66 or 67 (which is the lowest I've seen it so far, although I don't check it all that often), I would swear it was several degrees warmer. I spend much of my time in my home office upstairs, and of course that's warmer than downstairs.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:44 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,917 times
66 programmed for when I'm generally home. If it's cloudy and there's no solar gain, I often bump it to 67 (like today). 63 at night. Me like it a bit chilly .

Old 11-03-2012, 03:46 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
This is more of a question for people in cold climates now that winter is fast approaching. What temperature do you all set your heat at during winter? We usually keep ours at 68 degrees...and maybe I'm just getting old, but it feels colder and colder each morning when I wake up. Really tempted to raise it up a couple degrees, but not sure I should.

I'm curious to see where others keep their thermostat.

Now, I put a space heater in the room(s) where I'm doing music lessons, for as long as the lessons last, to keep just those rooms a tiny bit warmer for my students (who think anything below 75 is too cold because this is Texas)... but yeah. 58. When the heat from the music lesson rooms eventually escapes into the rest of the house, it warms the rest of the house by a couple of degrees.

If I have a day off when I won't be teaching in my house, 62. I can wear a sweatshirt and long pants if I get too cold.

As a result, my heat bills are negligible in the winter. Of course, Texas has its infamous summers to balance that out....

Old 11-03-2012, 04:03 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
This is more of a question for people in cold climates now that winter is fast approaching. What temperature do you all set your heat at during winter? We usually keep ours at 68 degrees...and maybe I'm just getting old, but it feels colder and colder each morning when I wake up. Really tempted to raise it up a couple degrees, but not sure I should.

I'm curious to see where others keep their thermostat.
Our T-stat is set at 69 day & night, use to have it set at 68 for several years, but like you, we are getting older & the body skin is getting thinner, so we are feeling colder too for that matter. I can't have it any warmer for night time sleeping yet anyway, since I need for it to be somewhat cool while sleeping for easier breathing, any warmer, it just plugs up my nose then I'm uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
65 at night, 70 during the day. Even 60 would fine with me except in the bathroom but I don't get to control the thermostat. LOL
Have you ever considered having an oil - filled radiator in your bathroom with temperature control? I have a 7 fin oil - filled radiator, I usually set the dial to # 5 and push both buttons on for awhile before I get dressed in the morning, close to an hour of heating up the bathroom it is all toasty nice & warm by then. Throughout Winter I heat my bathroom this way every morning, makes getting dressed much more comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
68 or 69 here.....but in winter you need a sweater and socks on. Usually I'll wrap up in a blanket watching TV. We have a gas fireplace we turn on in the morning while reading the paper and drinking coffee.
Even though we keep our T-stat at 69, I need to dress warmer in the evening, double socks with footwear along with wearing a sweater too. We have a gas furnace, but our windows, even though I cover around the window the air still leaks through & especially through the door, brrrrrr! I've even stuffed around the door, seems to be getting worse every year. Nice to sit all covered up nice & cozy sipping on a hot spiced apple cider drink, so good tasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House