Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 15,380 times

Advertisements

I have been lurking on these forums for a long time and have gotten a lot of useful information from other commenters and responses. I am very grateful for a resource like this; I think it is wonderful that there are so many people out there interested in helping out others and discussing issues of mutual interest.

On to my question/concern! I moved into a new house last year and I am still waiting for the shoe to drop- we have had no serious problems in a 40 year old house with 23 year old HVAC units and a roof that we were told was "nearing the end of its life" by our inspector before we closed.

Now, when a plumber came over to check out a potential leak from the master bathroom (thankfully it was nothing), he noted some potential water damage on one of the boards underlying our roof tile in the attic. My problem is that I am not sure if it is a current leak and therefore an indication of roof tile problems, or if it is water marks from an old leak.

I checked on it again after a particularly heavy rainstorm and the region did not feel moist, but I am not sure how long it would take for the water to make its way through the wood. Does anyone have recommendations for how I can accurately check for damage? It is right next to one of the bathroom stacks, so it is possible that the leak is associated with flashing rather than tile. My wife is very not comfortable with me getting up on the roof of our two-story house, so I don't think I'll be looking at the outside of this thing any time soon... I took a picture of the region and will post it here if I can figure out how.

We got a home warranty from the sellers and opted for an additional "minor" roof damage rider, because of the age of the shingles. My concern is that if I call a roofing company out to check it/ get an estimate, they will be certain to find something to repair because they can spot a concerned homeowner. I am covered for up to $1000 worth of work, assuming that the repair would be considered a covered issue.

Since I know the kind of damage that water can wreak I would rather be safe than sorry, but I'm sure the repair process will become a headache that I would rather avoid if it is not necessary.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have!
Attached Thumbnails
Water damage visible in attic, possible roof leak-photo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
If I had to guess, I'd say that is prior staining from a leaking plumbing boot.
There appears to be debris on the pipe itself that has "washed" down it- further enforcing my suspicion of the plumbing boot.

But the dead give away to a faulty plumbing boot is the duct tape!
Contact a roofer and have the boot replaced- for that matter, have them all replaced (which is usually done when a new roof is installed).

Old 05-07-2013, 01:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
I agree that it most likely is the plumbing flashing. any penetration through the roof is the most common leak.

If you are not comfortable getting on the roof, do you have a family member who could? If so, let them take a water hose up there and sit or stand above the plumbing stack and gently spray water in the area. If there is still al leak, it start to show with in minutes. 5-10 at the most.

While he is up there have him look to see if any cauld or black mastic was applied around the seal, or if the neoprene looks new.

Typical repair would to be caulk or put mastic where pipe and gasket meet. If the neoprene gasket looks new, then a repair may have already been done.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Check it next time you have a heavy rain and see if it is damp, if it is then call a roofer to come out and fix it. It should not cost much. I stopped climbing around on my roofs several years ago, as I have developed a bad knee and I know if I fell it could cripple me. It is worth $100-$200 to pay a roofer to fix it.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 AM

6 posts, read 15,380 times
Smile thanks!

Thanks for your comments. I have had two roofers come out to look at the roof and both have said the same thing (always reassuring). The boots around all of our pipe stacks need to be re-sealed, and one needs to be completely replaced. Ironically, the one in the worst shape is not the one near the water stains that I had spotted, but it is in an area where I wouldn't even be able to see the damage until it had gotten extreme.

Glad I am so paranoid about it! A few hundred dollars is definitely a lot better than the major repairs that would eventually have been required!

Good news is that both roofers assured me the rest of the roof was in good shape and we could expect to get another 5-8 years out of our roof. Certainly no guarantees, but good to hear nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House