Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 AM

493 posts, read 981,120 times

Advertisements

We are closing on our new house on April 25 and are starting to look at some home security solutions. Not that the neighborhood is particularly safe, but better safe than sorry and the home owners discount is nice (not enough to completely cover the monthly fee, but nice none the less)

So now I have started looking into different packages and am just completely overwhelmed by all the options, and how many companies don't seem to want to give an exact price quote. There are also some that use cell network, some that require a landline, and some that require internet. I think cell network would be best, since the internet or landline can go down if the power is out, and I really don't want to have to pay for a landline that we don't need. Then there is also Zigbee vs Z-Wave.

We were already planning on buying a new digital thermostat, so I think a package that includes a thermostat with the system would be ideal, and I'm not entirely sold on the need for video cameras, and we have pets so I'm nervous the motion sensor would do more harm than good.

What all equipment is really good to have, what may be nice, and what is just extra fluff that really isn't needed? The house has four doors, front, back, sliding glass, and garage, and too many windows to justify installing a sensor on each. Electronic door locks sound nice, but I'm not sure if they are worth the cost. Same for the special carbon monoxide and smoke detectors. I can buy regular detectors for a lot cheaper, is there any benefit to having them hooked up to the system, and if so, should all smoke detectors be hooked into the system, or just one?

So far I have seen:

ADT Pulse (probably Premier or Advantage, maybe choice, having a hard time finding price info)
XFinity Home ($40-50 a month, can't find installation cost info)
Vivint (Either Energy or Automation package, $58-69 a month, $149-$199 for installation)
Protect America
Frontpoint

Any suggestions on companies, features, or equipment? What to get and what to avoid? How many sensors/smoke detectors/locks are worth getting?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Just go buy a couple of ADT signs and stick them in your front yard.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,165,463 times
i have the xfinity home and its pretty neat. its only $30/month if you also buy other comcast services.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,750 times
I have a house in West Virginia that will be our retirement home in a few years. it is full of stuff already and we do not live there but live in MA. We leave lights and radio on a timer and we go down 3 or 4 times a year to check on things and do some work to the place. We use ADT and have been happy with it so far. ours runs about $42. a month and requires no internet, phone or other service, they broadcast to where ever on their own.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,906,392 times
I would do this:
- Nest for a thermostat
- Simplisafe for an alarm (monitoring starts at $15/ month) and you can control from iPhone.
- Camera system (have a pro installer hook this up to a DVR that you can watch over the web)

Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,671,525 times
I am more a believer in noise will scare anyone away. A simple DIY system that sets off an alarm when triggered. I believe they can even be wireless. Only issue is that it reset itself after a period of time so if you are not home it does not keep going.

Remember that alarm companies make their money on monthly monitoring. Sign enough of a long term contract and they will give you the alarm system for little to nothing.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:14 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,292,211 times
Read EVERY single word of any contract or anything they want your to sign before signing anything!

Make them leave all forms for you to take your time reading. And give you copies after signing.

These many times lock you in for a couple of years and the contract automatically renews!

Here is alarm monitoring for $8.95 a month...
#1 Alarm Monitoring Company | Security Systems for Homes and Offices

To get stickers and signs, search google.com for the following words...
alarm stickers signs

To buy the equipment yourself, search google.com for the following...
diy security system

You may be able to find a small locally owned alarm company to help you with installing/programming it. Or hire someone working there to install it for you.

As for the amount of security you need - what is best... Talk to your local police department and see what types of crimes are happening in your area. Ask for their suggestions as to what your best protection is...

-Sometimes just signs and stickers will be enough.
-For other areas a monitored alarm is a good idea.
-With some high crime areas, bars on the windows and a security system is best.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
We have Stanley Security Services, they took over from Honeywell a few years ago. We are very happy with the system. We have the standard phone line connection and the satellite connection in case the lines are cut. We have door and window connections along with wireless motion sensors throughout the house. We pay $510.00 annually which is appx $42.00 per month.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 AM

18 posts, read 28,737 times
You can also remotely open the door, manage your lights, start your sprinklers in garden, take snap shots and it doesn’t matter if you are on the other side of the planet. E668BCC Amid the wide range of products, around are CCTV Camera in the USA, ip camera in the USA, burglar alarm , fire alarm in the USA, which provide all the components you might need to set up in house or business security.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:00 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,737,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
We are closing on our new house on April 25 and are starting to look at some home security solutions. Not that the neighborhood is particularly safe, but better safe than sorry and the home owners discount is nice (not enough to completely cover the monthly fee, but nice none the less)

So now I have started looking into different packages and am just completely overwhelmed by all the options, and how many companies don't seem to want to give an exact price quote. There are also some that use cell network, some that require a landline, and some that require internet. I think cell network would be best, since the internet or landline can go down if the power is out, and I really don't want to have to pay for a landline that we don't need. Then there is also Zigbee vs Z-Wave.

We were already planning on buying a new digital thermostat, so I think a package that includes a thermostat with the system would be ideal, and I'm not entirely sold on the need for video cameras, and we have pets so I'm nervous the motion sensor would do more harm than good.

What all equipment is really good to have, what may be nice, and what is just extra fluff that really isn't needed? The house has four doors, front, back, sliding glass, and garage, and too many windows to justify installing a sensor on each. Electronic door locks sound nice, but I'm not sure if they are worth the cost. Same for the special carbon monoxide and smoke detectors. I can buy regular detectors for a lot cheaper, is there any benefit to having them hooked up to the system, and if so, should all smoke detectors be hooked into the system, or just one?

So far I have seen:

ADT Pulse (probably Premier or Advantage, maybe choice, having a hard time finding price info)
XFinity Home ($40-50 a month, can't find installation cost info)
Vivint (Either Energy or Automation package, $58-69 a month, $149-$199 for installation)
Protect America
Frontpoint

Any suggestions on companies, features, or equipment? What to get and what to avoid? How many sensors/smoke detectors/locks are worth getting?

Thanks
Pick a company that is used by many people in your area. At least service will be around for a while.

Look up the Control4 system which can automate your lights, thermostat, security system, fireplace, television, satellite/cable, surround sound/stereo, and even window blinds. It's pretty awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House