Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yep, mine too. My house (1983) has one GFCI circuit. It's not with a breaker, just a single GFCI receptacle which is in the bathroom. That one, plus two in the garage and two outside are on the circuit. (Was not yet required for kitchen.) On top of that, the garage door openers are plugged into the same circuit, so when it trips I can't open the garage doors, but to reset it I have to go upstairs to the bathroom!

I think it's only tripped when I've had Xmas lights plugged in outside....
You could rewire that GFCI so it only protects that receptacle. Then add a GFCI in the garage so it's more easily accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,017 times
Dishwasher has no power after storm. Also the outlet above the dishwasher isn't working.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,543 times
You will find a GFCI in the outlet or sometimes it may be wired through another GFCI that may be from your kitchen, garage etc. Try to reset that and if it doesn't solves the issue, then you need to check breaker box. If your breaker is tripped then you can reset it by just switching to off and on. Once I got a same issue with my outlets and I got the help from Shock doctors in Canada. They fixed the problem within a short time. You’d better check it or call any licensed electrician to fix it. Hope this will help you.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:12 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
While not a licensed electrician, I was one in the US Navy so I know a few things about electricity. I had a bytch one time when garage outlets went out and the garage door opener would not work. Multimeter in hand, I attacked it. Obvious 101, slowly reset all breakers. Nothing. I then thought well it does not makes sense but check all GFCI's. Turns out a GFCI in an upstairs, spare bathroom had "let go" and it controlled the garage outlets. Experience and multimeter aside, who would have thought such.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,807 times
Both my bathrooms and outside outlet don't work...I only have one GFI on the garage and I have reset that and I still get nothing....I think the outside outlet got wet at one point...not sure what's happening.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:38 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTBMe View Post
Both my bathrooms and outside outlet don't work...I only have one GFI on the garage and I have reset that and I still get nothing....I think the outside outlet got wet at one point...not sure what's happening.
There's a good possibility of another GFCI- due to the locations that aren't working. If not, check breakers- throw them completely OFF then back ON. After that its time to start tracing- better done by an electrician.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,807 times
Not the answer I was hoping for...but thanks

Old 08-10-2015, 02:16 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Friend's garage lights went out. Were run off a GFCI in an upstairs spare bathroom. Took us quite a while to find that.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:45 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTBMe View Post
Not the answer I was hoping for...but thanks
Well let us know what answer you would like to hear!

Old 08-11-2015, 03:00 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,385,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
While not a licensed electrician, I was one in the US Navy so I know a few things about electricity. I had a bytch one time when garage outlets went out and the garage door opener would not work. Multimeter in hand, I attacked it. Obvious 101, slowly reset all breakers. Nothing. I then thought well it does not makes sense but check all GFCI's. Turns out a GFCI in an upstairs, spare bathroom had "let go" and it controlled the garage outlets. Experience and multimeter aside, who would have thought such.
I had a similar experience. A breaker in spare bathroom upstairs tripped and the downstream receptacle was in the garage ---- and had our freezer plugged into it. My first warning was a funny smell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House