Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 12:41 PM

24 posts, read 105,976 times

Advertisements

I need to do something with the stairs in the front of my house as they are sunken in. Everytime it rains they fill up with water especially the top step and the bottom step and I feel like they sink in more everytime. On days with very heavy rains the water over flows and floods my yard in front of the stairs. My dad is 58 years old and has arthritis in his knees and has some trouble walking stairs to begin with. He can't walk these stairs at all. I've gotten estimates up to $6000 to fix my stairs.

Everyone I've gotten estimates from has told me different things on these...fill them with cement, fill them with sand, the wood is good, the wood is going to go bad, you need to take them out totally and do stone steps with retaining walls, take them out and build a ramp if your dad can't walk it, you can't put a ramp there.

I just don't know what to belive. I just want stairs or a ramp that my dad will be able to walk. What should I do with these stairs?

http://imageshack.us/f/834/ju34.jpg/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,717,056 times
If those were mine...
I would replace the entire thing.
The wood gets slippery when wet and will eventually rot out, so it would have bee replaced along ago.

Replace them with.... ? I don't know in your case as I don't know your house and yard.
Simple concrete with a handrail for dad could work, along with a myriad of other possibilities.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 PM

17,476 posts, read 66,104,344 times
Cheap version- fill with pea gravel and call it a day.
Better version- excavate the fill inside the timbers to pour about 4" of concrete.

The best solution- replace all of it with granite slabs. A very popular from of steps in the NE- especially New England. Once placed (with the right pitch) will be good for 100's of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House