Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 07:35 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,853 times

Advertisements

With the recent rains on Saturday with the already saturated lawn we ended up getting a small leak in our basement. I caught it early enough and wicked the water away with no damage or issue but the leak came from a previously repaired foundation crack it seems. The house was built in 1996 and we moved in just last summer. Had really bad rains before but never had an issue at all until now. So I am working to get this repaired but I am also wondering if the area outside the foundation has a curtain drain that played a part as well.

One I am certain is for the sewer, my neighbors have one as well on their properties. When we moved the inspector said one was sewer and was not sure about the other. I am getting ready to bury the downspouts and regrade this area to help divert water away from the house which will help a lot, but a family member informed me that they think the second pipe is for a curtain drain.

I am heading to town hall today to get property records/plans to find out for sure but figured I'd post it here to see if anyone has seen anything similar or has some ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,450 times
I had a similar post to friends on Facebook with our new home purchase.... we had white pipes coming out that went around the perimeter 2 sides. I also had a black pipe in the back yard, off to the side.

Two different sets of pipes.

So my black pipe was similar to yours meaing it has a rigid "need a wrench" cap. Seemed like an odd placement but then I was able to connect to the sewer pipe exiting my house, and then I found by the curb another clean out in line with the side placement.

For some strange reason, the sewer line goes out the back of my house to go to the front again. Maybe originally my house was septic

I say all of this, because your pic definalty looks like a straight pipe, and makes me think... cant you see the pipe inside the house? And likewise is it possible to follow to the street to see if there is a connector there?

(The other white pipes I have which are on 2 sides of my basement perimeter, I've attribuited to some type of french drain system)

Old 04-01-2014, 11:10 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
"Two PVC Pipes on Property?"

Yes, there are clearly TWO pipes on property. What else would anyone surmise from the picture?
There's just too many possibilities with the lack of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House