Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:16 PM

108 posts, read 171,331 times

Advertisements

I have a very specific need for a sound system that's a bit unusual.

My tenant below me is a coffee shop, which needs to play music during business hours. We have poor sound insulation between us, particularly for the bass notes which come through the floor even though they are using a small iPod stereo sitting on the countertop. It has no independent knobs for bass and treble adjustment so they cannot turn down the bass, which is pretty much the only thing I'm hearing.

Can one get a system with this adjustment, to significantly turn down/eliminate the bass?

Is it possible to set up a system so that I can also control the settings with a remote from the 2nd floor?

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I hate to break the news to you but the problem you are describing is NOT going to be fixed by adjusting "bass".

The fact is the ceiling of the coffee shop needs to be isolated from your floor with proper acoustic building materials like drywall mounted in rubberized channels instead screwed into the joists.

The iPod itself does have a built-in "equalizer" and "bass reducer" is one of the options...

Old 03-13-2014, 08:37 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
If he is using a simple iPod stereo in his store, maybe you should buy/lend him a different stereo that has bass and treble adjustments. Those sets are not expensive and you can choose one that fits you needs the best.
Visit some electronic stores and ask the staff for recommendations.

BTW: I don't think he needs to play the music so loud that it bothers you on the second floor.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Since you seem to be the landlord of this property, then you must know you can't modify equipment you don't own nor can you have a remote to a tenants sound system. Thus as the LL you know its too expensive to lay sound baffling on your floor and most likely illegal to pad their ceiling due to fire code. I'm assuming you've already contacted the tenant and he probably gave you some advice. I'll also assume you contacted zoning and they told you the shop owner was not in violation of code. So the least expensive direction is for you to gift them a sound system with the correct sound controls since most likely there are a few years left on the lease.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Since you seem to be the landlord of this property, then you must know you can't modify equipment you don't own nor can you have a remote to a tenants sound system. Thus as the LL you know its too expensive to lay sound baffling on your floor and most likely illegal to pad their ceiling due to fire code. I'm assuming you've already contacted the tenant and he probably gave you some advice. I'll also assume you contacted zoning and they told you the shop owner was not in violation of code. So the least expensive direction is for you to gift them a sound system with the correct sound controls since most likely there are a few years left on the lease.
Yes, of course I'd be happy to buy the sound system for them. They're nice people. I'm not trying to evict them, just arrive at a compromise. The idea of a remote on my end is not to harass them, just to save us both trouble.

I could also negotiate with them so that I could install an isolated sheetrock ceiling, but they'd have to close for 1 -2 weeks for this, which would be difficult and expensive.

I guess I feel that a stereo with bass/treble controls would probably be more effective than accessing an iPod's "lower bass" setting, esp since different employees would likely use different iPods.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If he is using a simple iPod stereo in his store, maybe you should buy/lend him a different stereo that has bass and treble adjustments. Those sets are not expensive and you can choose one that fits you needs the best.
Visit some electronic stores and ask the staff for recommendations.

BTW: I don't think he needs to play the music so loud that it bothers you on the second floor.
Elnina, thanks.
I've talked with several clerks in electronics stores who give me blank stares when I ask about bass/treble controls. It seems I might as well be asking if they carry whale oil to light my lamps.

Can you make any recommendations for a sound system, or where to look?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt View Post
Elnina, thanks.
I've talked with several clerks in electronics stores who give me blank stares when I ask about bass/treble controls. It seems I might as well be asking if they carry whale oil to light my lamps.

Can you make any recommendations for a sound system, or where to look?

Welcome to Sam Ash

Old 03-13-2014, 10:43 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,189 times
You need a receiver

Another option is to use something like a laptop for music playback

Most problems(itunes for example) have built in eq's

I know a lot of about car audio and audio in general

You can send me a PM if you like

Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Dude, there is NO WAY that going with a MORE powerful system is the answer!

Get an iPod compatabile dock that has bass and treble controls if you want but that WILL NOT solve your issues -- Panasonic SC-NE5 2.0 Channel Wireless Speaker System/iPod Dock SC-NE5

This is what needs t happen:
Soundproofing A Ceiling Using Resilient Channels (How To Video) - YouTube

Old 03-14-2014, 07:19 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt View Post
My tenant below me is a coffee shop, which needs to play music during business hours.
We have poor sound insulation between us...

Quote:
Thanks for any advice.
More speakers at lower volume each.
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Issue-zeppelinneighbors.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House