Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times

Advertisements

Is that a really stupid idea? We have 20+ year old Andersen casement windows in our home and absolutely hate them. We've gone through 1 round of replacement parts/screens and that cost several hundred dollars and we don't want to do it anymore. The reason we hate casement windows is because one strong wind will take the window and break the operator. I like having my windows open on days when the temps are in the 60's, but with these casement windows, one strong breeze will take the window too wide ... ugh!!! Double hungs are just easier to deal with.

Is this possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Is that a really stupid idea? We have 20+ year old Andersen casement windows in our home and absolutely hate them. We've gone through 1 round of replacement parts/screens and that cost several hundred dollars and we don't want to do it anymore. The reason we hate casement windows is because one strong wind will take the window and break the operator. I like having my windows open on days when the temps are in the 60's, but with these casement windows, one strong breeze will take the window too wide ... ugh!!! Double hungs are just easier to deal with.

Is this possible?
I like casements. If you have a window at your kitchen sink it MUST be a casement even if the rest of your home is double hung or awning or whatever. If it were a double hung no one would be able to lean over the base cabinet to push up. keep that in mind.

If you want to swich them all from casements to double hungs it depends on a few things. How new or old are they? If they are somewhat of a modern window then the size might be standard and interchangable. This still would involve messing with whatever siding you have as well as interior drywall mess. You dont want that.

A better alternative would be "replacement windows". What this means is they remove the old sash/s only along with most of the stop moldings. Some precise measurnemts are taken and a company makes new sashes, in your case 2 sashes for the new double hungs with a frame which fits right inside of your window jambs as one new unit. Nothing else is disturbed. No siding, drywall or interior molding. They are vinyl construction, smooth sliding and are guarenteed for life as well as improve enerty efficiency 40%. And they only take 45 minutes to install each one. It is that simple.

Years ago I believe Anderson was the first to come out with these. Today everyone has them. All the major brands, Anderson, Millgard, Jen-Weld, Pella, Certian-Teed, Marvin and so on. I would go directly to a Marvin, Anderson or Pella dealer. They are the better ones and also have installation crew they use and trust. Anderson will be the least costly while not sacraficing quality. Pella is top choice, their prices have come down in recent times so average people can afford them. I love Pella as well as Marvin.

Good luck

Old 03-15-2009, 12:18 PM

I don't mind sliding windows ... however, in our last home, I had 2 double hung windows over my sink .. didn't mind getting on a chair to open them ... my current kitchen doesn't have windows ... it's an open concept design and the kitchen overlooks my eat in area by my patio doors.

The casement windows we have open out, not slide, and that's what I hate, I've had 2 window operators completely break on me with the wind taking the window and I've had to replace all the operators because the stupid cranks are stripped. Sliding windows won't do it because the windows are long and narrow, making sliding impossible. Not every window opens. For example, in the living room, We have 6 long and narrow windows, 2 of which open. I'd only want to replace the windows that open to double hung.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:52 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
Are you using Andersen replacement hardware or a "generic" brand? I've used Andersen Windows in foul climates for over 35 years. Yes, things wear out over time, but I've never had the wind [and it blows like crazy out on the high plains] take out an operator. I recall visiting the factory in Bayport, MN, about 30 years ago and seeing extremely high wind tunnel tests. Double check if you're getting the "real McCoy" or a substandard bit of replacement hardware.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:07 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I agree with windtimber. There is even a special documentary on HGTV on the Anderson factory simulated wind tunnel he just mentioned. They hit those windows with beyond hurricane winds without problems.

I never heard of a crank out casement being taken by wind. If the winds were that high I think you should have not ignored the mandatory evacuation warnings given.

Go with the replacement windows and you can choose anything you wish in any color and even get nice beveled glass which I love.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:43 PM

We ordered Andersen parts through Andersen. I too was surprised about the operators blowing out in high winds.

So, it is possible to put in double hungs? I'm done with casements.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
My experience with Anderson is that the diferent levels or grades of windows they sell is staggering. Their higher end is actually good but the lower end of their products are questionable. Usually 400 series with a couple of options is good as all but the best window manufacters, below that quality decrease by trim level.

You can switch out windows but the issue may be whether or not you find the same sizing in double hung as you have in casement windows. If not you will have to either order smaller windows and infill or trim the openings if possible.

Another issue might be if you had any settling that knocked the framing out of level and screwed with the windows functioning; however I imagine the Anderson person would have pointed this out if it were the case (and they certainly would not have honorred their waranty.)

Old 03-15-2009, 10:52 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
We ordered Andersen parts through Andersen. I too was surprised about the operators blowing out in high winds.

So, it is possible to put in double hungs? I'm done with casements.
it should be possible with no problems. The only thing would be the age of the home, and if the current windows meet standard rough opening sizes. If not it can get expensive quickly due to custom window creation.

Marvin windows has a whole line of windows that can be retro fitted to existing openings.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 46,894 times
Your best bet would be swapping Anderson for Anderson. Different window manufacturers have different ratios of height to width. The issue you might have is that Anderson may have changed their ratio over the past 20 years so that it's not an even fit.

Measure your window and add 2" to get the rough opening. Keep in mind that if you go wider, you'll have to replace the header. Taller isn't a problem as long as you don't mind it being lower (so as to keep the current header). Check your code too. In my town you have to use tempered glass in anything that's 18" off the ground or for bay windows with seats in them.

One other point, double hung windows might clash in terms of aesthetics. They really look out of place on any vaguely modern house.

All that said, I have Anderson casements (400 series). I've never had an open window budge. Even when my kid ran smack into an open one (he was fine). I will say that the basic cover for the Anderson cranks is crappy plastic. The gear inside is a solid worm gear. I suggest an upgrade to the cover (like an oil rubbed bronze type deal).

Old 06-11-2010, 11:36 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
If you have a window at your kitchen sink it MUST be a casement even if the rest of your home is double hung or awning or whatever. If it were a double hung no one would be able to lean over the base cabinet to push up. keep that in mind.
MUST??
Really?

I have a double hung over the kitchen sink, and no one has even had a problem opening/closing it.

I also know plenty of people who also have double hung over the sink. It seems to be the standard here that the windows are the same throughout the house (except for those that don't open at all of course!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House