Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 08:07 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,052 times

Advertisements

I saw that this topic was covered briefly in the past. However, the general advice (use the cheap blue filters) won't work for my 3 year-old HVAC system. Cheap blue filters buckle and start to get sucked into the fan area. They don't go far enough into the system to do damage or get hit by the fan, but they definitely no longer filter the air.

I've found that 3M's Filtrete filters have a stronger frame that holds up to the suction of my fan. Thus far I've used the baseline Filtrete filter (300 MPR). I am thinking of moving up to the 600 MPR version that promises better lint and dust mite debris filtration, as those two items are definitely present in my house and we have allergies.

I've read in multiple forums that the extremely thick MPR filters decrease efficiency of the HVAC units and can shorten the life of the blower. However, at what point does this really start to occur? I would assume that the 1500/1900/2200 etc. MPRs would significantly affect air flow. However, is there a significant between 300 and 600 MPR?

If it makes a difference, an Amazon review relays the following data that purportedly comes from 3M:

Dust & Pollen 600:
1-10 microns - 70%
MERV 8
pressure drop .14

Dust Reduction 300:
1-10 microns - 60%
MERV 7
pressure drop .15

I wouldn't go higher than 600 MPR, but wanted some other people's input before even moving up to this level.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
I use Filtrete 1085 (red) filters with my dual-zone heat pumps. The system is approximately 6 years old and has 1" thick filters at each return. Each system covers half of the house and each has 4 returns, one 18" x 24" in the common areas and three 12" x 12" in the bedrooms. So, far I am having no problems but I have only been here a year and have only changed the filters twice. Previous owner had the cheap blue filters in place which were seriously overdue for a change when I bought the house.

My old house also had dual-zone heat pumps but only had a single filter right at the air handler for each unit. I used the Filtrete 600's when we lived there and changed them religiously every 90 days. I tried using the Filtrete 1200 filters because (against my wishes) my mother-in-law smoked in my house. But the one unit started to ice up due to lack of airflow, so the HVAC guy told me not to go higher than the 600 filter and change them regularly.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
the general advice (use the cheap blue filters) won't work for my 3 year-old HVAC system.
Cheap blue filters buckle and start to get sucked into the fan area.
Sounds like the fan is running wayyyy fast.
You should check on that.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:11 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Most modern residential systems are designed for a maximum MERV rating of 8 (MPR 600 in the 3M Filtrete system). The advice to use the cheap fiberglass filters is a myth for the newest systems, since they are ineffective at protecting the coils in the air handler or furnace from dust or other dirt. We use MERV 8 filters and they work just fine for our system (we recently had our air conditioner serviced and the tech said our filters were fine).

While you may get some initial energy savings from the cheap fiberglass filters, allowing more dirt to reach the coils by using them will negate those energy savings in the long run and cause potential damage to your system.

At the same time, if you want a MERV rating higher than 8, Honeywell offers several deep pleat filters with a lip that allows them to be installed in a standard return air register. The deep pleat filters have more surface area, which increases airflow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House