Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 03:23 AM

270 posts, read 832,712 times

Advertisements

Last night I turned off the main upflow water valve in my basement twice to try out something and I turned it back on afterwards. I then used the dual flush toilet in our bedroom on top floor. When I flushed it I heard a clunking sound as if something dropped and then I noticed that it's not refilling at all, but if I pour water into the tank if flushed well. Just No refill water coming into the tank. What might be the problem then? Thanks a lot. It's American standards toilet

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 06:03 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,820,398 times
Perhaps a small piece of debris broke loose inside a water line somewhere due to the loss/return of water pressure and ended up inside the fill valve?

Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
You probably had a chunk of something inside the pipe dislodged by turning the main valve that is now blocking the water. There should be a valve behind the toilet usually with a flexible hose going from the valve to the toilet. Turn that valve off and then disconnect the hose from the toilet end. Place the end of the flexible hose in a bucket and the slowly turn the water on, if you have water then you know the blockage is in the toilet.

When you reconnect that flexible hose just snug it up good when tightening it. Turn the water back on and make sure there is no leaks, if it's leaking tighten a little more until it stops leaking. If you over tighten it you''ll crush the rubber o ring and that will make it leak.

Edit: also note your faucet screens might be clogged too. If you have low water pressure in them you'll have to take them off to remove the debris.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
Those toilet valves have very small openings for the water to come out. Little particles in the water will easily clog these valves. I installed screen filters on my toilets (called a spin down filter) and put an end to that problem!

Search google.com for the words...
Spin down filter

Note: It is amazing that there are solutions out there to solve problems like this permanently, yet homes continue to be built with the same old plumbing systems! Then they have the same old problems. These screen filters also keep the aerators on sink faucets from clogging. A good thing, yet you will NOT see the spin down filters sold at retail stores, just plumber's stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House